Page 80 of 333 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490130180 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 4987

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Maybe a Superman movie needs to have a younger Lois and Clark because, in MAN OF STEEL, I was put off by the Lois Lane character. She was supposed to be this accomplished reporter--but I was told that rather than shown how she got that way. A movie should really show Lois at the beginning of her career and how she had to struggle to get a story and get that story published.
    I'm the opposite of that. 1st of all... I'm going to see Superman. I'm not interested in a Lois Lane movie. There is a push nowdays to turn every superhero into a 'team' and make them the least interesting part of their own show... I don't want that for Superman. It's bad enough that movies already have a hard time balancing the story time with Superman and Clark Kent... I don't need deep dive focusing on Lois, Perry and Jimmy too.

2nd, I feel we've already SEEN the whole 'Show from Lois's perspective' with Lois and Clark and Smallville. We've already seen a rookie Lois and it wasn't very interesting.

3rd. I think it ruins her character to start there. Lois is MEANT to be the accomplished veteran who's made her mark and is a well respected journalist when Clark first walks into the Daily Planet. If we start her over from nothing... then it's going to just be ANOTHER movie about the poor misunderstood woman fighting to prover herself in a mans world... AND what will inevitably happen is this... She won't be ANYTHING without Superman there to write about. We've already seen shades of 'What would Lois be if she wasn't writing about Superman'... and this will cement it. Even with all those other stories making superman the center of her career... she still HAD a career before he showed up. Often times already won a Pulitzer. Lois needs to already be awesome before she even sees a cape.

Honestly Amy Adam's Lois was my favorite thing about that franchise. It's the one thing I wouldn't change. (Actually liked Cavill too but everything he had to work with tarnished his performance to me) This was one of my biggest problems with Superman Returns. Lois was an award winning journalist... being played by a woman who was 23.... with a 5 year gap in the story... Meaning that her awards and everything 'Superman related' was before she was 18.... She was just... TOO young for that role.

How was Smallville a show from Lois' perspective? She didn't even appear until the fourth season.

I also don't understand why developing a supporting cast is seen as hurting the main lead.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Lois was an award winning journalist... being played by a woman who was 23.... with a 5 year gap in the story... Meaning that her awards and everything 'Superman related' was before she was 18.... She was just... TOO young for that role.
    ACTING! She's Kate Bosworth playing Margot Kidder playing Lois Lane. Funny thing is, when SUPERMAN (1978) came out, I thought she looked too old for the part (nowadays I don't feel that way) and I knew that Kidder was older than Reeve. So maybe if you average them out, between Kate and Margot, Lois is about the right age in the end.

Then there's Amy Adams, who should be too old for the part opposite Cavill. But I just have to think of her as "Hot Girl" from THE OFFICE and then I'm okay with the age difference.

It's like Jennifer Lawrence in SILVER LINING'S PLAYBOOK--no way is she old enough for that character--but it's ACTING! It's like all those plays from high school, where fifteen year old kids were playing people in their forties. The actual age of the actor is not the same as the age of the character. Otherwise Judd Hirsch would be forced to play men in their eighties instead of men in their sixties and seventies.

Astonishing Member

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's said this, but Joker is boring. There are many great stories and interpretations with Joker in it, but Joker by himself is often very very boring. Mostly because of how much he's treated as a Villain Sue. Lot's of low power level characters get this treatment, but I feel as though Joker gets it the most.

I really don't like those scratchy speech bubbles that Scott Snyder has foisted onto Joker now that every book he appears in has to use.

It fits with Snyder's Joker because Snyder treats his Joker as like the literal devil or some kind of demon, but it gets kind of ridiculous when he has those speech bubbles for a small appearance in Harley Quinn or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I really don't like those scratchy speech bubbles that Scott Snyder has foisted onto Joker now that every book he appears in has to use.

It fits with Snyder's Joker because Snyder treats his Joker as like the literal devil or some kind of demon, but it gets kind of ridiculous when he has those speech bubbles for a small appearance in Harley Quinn or whatever.
    This 100%.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Shouldn't you be pointing the finger at Jimmy Betancourt, the actual letterer of Death of the Family? (which is I assume where that started)

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Shouldn't you be pointing the finger at Jimmy Betancourt, the actual letterer of Death of the Family? (which is I assume where that started)
    I think it started with Black Mirror.

If Betancourt was the one who came up with it, then yeah, but I have to imagine Snyder probably specified it himself unless it was something they collaborated on together.

Retired

Back in the 1960s and 1970s, I had a hard time believing that the Joker was any match for Batman. The Clown Prince of Crime was drawn to look boney and feeble, so in any kind of fight he wouldn't have had any chance. Nor was he that smart--I thought it ridiculous when he was used in the Batman vs. Hulk tabloid team-up from DC and Marvel.

I did like the stories where he came up with totally nutty schemes. It didn't make sense that Batman would fall for any of these--but as pure entertainment those stories were okay. More than anything, Joker was comic relief--but a steady diet of the Grinning Jackanapes was overindulgent. Mind you, as just a fun comic, not to be taken too seriously, the 1975 - 76 JOKER bi-monthly was worth the quarter it cost.

edited post. sorry wrong thread.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-15-2019 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    That's really all you need. Between Smallville, STAS, Lois and CLark, Superman Returns, the 80's movies.... does anyone NEED to see the rocket crash again?? Throw in a quick flashback or a prologue and then give us an established heroic Superman.
    It'd be cool to see the "8 word origin" from All-Star Superman in live action.

ACTING! She's Kate Bosworth playing Margot Kidder playing Lois Lane. Funny thing is, when SUPERMAN (1978) came out, I thought she looked too old for the part (nowadays I don't feel that way) and I knew that Kidder was older than Reeve. So maybe if you average them out, between Kate and Margot, Lois is about the right age in the end.

Then there's Amy Adams, who should be too old for the part opposite Cavill. But I just have to think of her as "Hot Girl" from THE OFFICE and then I'm okay with the age difference.
    Amy Adams went to high school with Tom Welling's Clark Kent, that makes her the perfect age for me. For the most part, I do agree, it is a matter of acting (and make-up and wardrobe is a factor) and how convincingly the actor can pull of the age range they're playing. It usually doesn't bother me, but I'm not a fan of the huge age gap between the Raven and Beast Boy actors on the live action Titans show.

BANNED

One reason we keep seeing these stories retold is to keep the concepts relevant and fresh for younger generations. An 8 year old may never have seen the 80s Superman movies or Lois and Clark. Smallville brought a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't be Superman fans into the fanbase. We should't assume everyone has seen everything we have, or connected with it the way we might have. Perhaps someone saw Superman: TAS but didn't become a huge Superman fan until seeing Justice League cartoon.

All that said:
    If I were to do a Superman movie (Ha!), he would be out in space with Maxima fighting in War World tournaments and stuff like that. There are a lot of sides to Superman, and I would like to show one that has never been seen in theaters. I also think this could give the character the rejuvenation he needs and it would dramatically distance things from Man of Steel and its ilk.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 09-15-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Retired

It also seems to be the case with a lot of people that if you try to make them sit and watch a movie or TV show that's more than ten years old, they roll their eyes and just can't be bothered. The same with comic books. So everything has to be refreshed for a new generation's eyeballs.

It also seems to be the case with a lot of people that if you try to make them sit and watch a movie or TV show that's more than ten years old, they roll their eyes and just can't be bothered. The same with comic books. So everything has to be refreshed for a new generation's eyeballs.
    I feel that's just a generalization that is used for movie/entertainment executives to keep rebooting everything.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I feel that's just a generalization that is used for movie/entertainment executives to keep rebooting everything.
    Well, it's my personal experience. I'm not saying everyone is like this, but I've encountered enough people who are against any "old" movie, tv show or comic book. And I don't hang with movie/entertainment executives.