Page 204 of 204 FirstFirst ... 104154194200201202203204
Results 3,046 to 3,058 of 3058
  1. #3046
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    6,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That's a design choice that was popular at the time. It also isn't the only production with uncomfortable costumes.
    Then why isn't superman wearing casuals while fighting crime.it's not like armour or skin tight suit or space onesie suits are it last decade.
    "I swear to devote my life to the destruction of piracy, greed, cruelty and injustice! And my sons, and their sons, shall follow me!"

  2. #3047
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Then why isn't superman wearing casuals while fighting crime.it's not like armour or skin tight suit or space onesie suits are it last decade.
    You're joking right? Superhero costumes like this are more accepted in the past decade than they've ever been.

    The X-Men came out when Blade and the Matrix were popular and colorful costumes would be associated with Batman and Robin which almost irreparably damaged superhero films for audiences.

  3. #3048
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    6,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    You're joking right? Superhero costumes like this are more accepted in the past decade than they've ever been.

    The X-Men came out when Blade and the Matrix were popular and colorful costumes would be associated with Batman and Robin which almost irreparably damaged superhero films for audiences.
    Yeah!I guess.But,I was talking last decade where being casual and simple was cool.Heck!Jon Kent's best design is him wearing casuals.I still prefer superman wearing jeans and T-shirt.

    So,there was a stigma to the colourful costumes?
    "I swear to devote my life to the destruction of piracy, greed, cruelty and injustice! And my sons, and their sons, shall follow me!"

  4. #3049
    Extraordinary Member Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    5,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    1. All non superpowered superheroes should wear body armor.
    2. The more invulnerable a super is the less clothing they would wear.
    3. Armor doesn’t really make much sense for invulnerable heroes because anything powerful enough to hurt them isn’t going to be stopped by armor.
    4. Characters with force fields should still wear armor and clothing unless it is stated that the force field offers temperature control.

    I hate armored superheroes. I think they're so inherently goofy as a concept that asking "but what if they get hurt" is like asking "what if Batman has to poop, does he just do it on a rooftop?" I'm fine if someone tells me he's got tri-weave kevlar or something in the Batsuit so he doesn't get immediately killed. It's fine as long as it doesn't get too bulky.

    But then you get Injustice where everyone looks like the tripped and fell into a scrap metal junkyard wearing a skintight suit coated with gorilla glue. It just looks awful.

    Nothing about the DCU makes sense with respect to real world physics or logic. The concept of the Batrope is ludicrous on its own, as is Superman catching someone who is falling from a building. But it works in their universe and I can live with it because those are the rules of engagement with the medium. Same with manga and how every character tells the person they're fighting what move they're using and somehow they always still land, or how the pacing needs to be god awful because the mangaka are under one of the most grueling work environments we know of in any creative field and are tasked with writing and drawing 20 pages a week with an army of people filling in their line work. It's part-and-parcel with the medium.

    Some bullshit kevlar weave for the Nightwing suit? Cool. I can buy it. Won't protect them from higher caliber rounds but it's protective. The Future State Nightwing suit? Hard pass!

  5. #3050
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Yeah!I guess.But,I was talking last decade where being casual and simple was cool.Heck!Jon Kent's best design is him wearing casuals.I still prefer superman wearing jeans and T-shirt.

    So,there was a stigma to the colourful costumes?
    The last decade had the MCU completely changing the way people saw superheroes. Casual wear is mostly a thing for the CW and even then they started changing that.

  6. #3051
    Uncanny King-Kamalu lemonpeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Brooklyn's WiFi
    Posts
    4,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Re: what you said earlier. This isn't limited to superhero comics though. Manga is also guilty of this. Arguably to an even worse degree. MHA is one example when it comes to its female characters.
    while I wouldn't say manga or other media in totality is never guilt of this (it's a matter of bad storytelling and hack writing) but it's a FAR more prevalent issue in comics. however, i gotta call cap on the My Hero comparison, especially because 90% or their costumes are specifically made with to compliment their abilities; like in universe. support items and building your hero identity around your skillset is a pretty overtly integral part of their power system. hell, even fanservice-heavy characters like Midnight, Mirko, and Yaoyorozu have designs built around powers that compliment and/or play off them being fan service characters. mind you, these are secondary and tertiary characters, yet they are handled with more care they some of the characters that DC haphazardly gave [doomed] titles too.

    keep it a buck 50, My Hero and One Punch Man a lot of the time highlight just how stagnant and weak comic book storytelling culture is (or has become I guess) with their characters and ability to worldbuild.
    SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist! his fandom wikia
    I support militant Professor X
    • Manga: One Piece, My Hero, Mashle, Tokyo Revengers, Jujutsu Kaisen, GoH, Black Clover
    • DC: Other History of DC, Second Son, Gotham: Urban Legends
    • Marvel: Immortal Hulk, Miles Morales: Spiderman, Black Panther, X-books
    • Anticipated titles: MrM Source of Freedom, Static*, Hardware*, Naomi s2, FS Gotham
    "power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

  7. #3052
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    while I wouldn't say manga or other media in totality is never guilt of this (it's a matter of bad storytelling and hack writing) but it's a FAR more prevalent issue in comics. however, i gotta call cap on the My Hero comparison, especially because 90% or their costumes are specifically made with to compliment their abilities; like in universe. support items and building your hero identity around your skillset is a pretty overtly integral part of their power system. hell, even fanservice-heavy characters like Midnight, Mirko, and Yaoyorozu have designs built around powers that compliment and/or play off them being fan service characters. mind you, these are secondary and tertiary characters, yet they are handled with more care they some of the characters that DC haphazardly gave [doomed] titles too.

    keep it a buck 50, My Hero and One Punch Man a lot of the time highlight just how stagnant and weak comic book storytelling culture is (or has become I guess) with their characters and ability to worldbuild.
    Just looking at Midnight for example, how does her dominatrix get up compliment her ability to make people fall asleep? And trying to justify a fanservice character doesn't make her well written or interesting. DC and Marvel are also making that type of character less prominent after being called out for it for years.

    Manga is certainly better than superhero comics in some regards (and weaker than other types of comics in many regards).

    For instance, western comics are and have been a lot better with LGBT characters than manga has been for a long time. One need only look Puri-Puri Prisoner to see how backwards manga is in that regard. To say nothing of the issues regarding female characters in manga vs the ones in comics. I don't think anyone can claim with a straight face that shonen manga is better than western comics in that regard.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 03-07-2021 at 03:57 AM.

  8. #3053
    Extraordinary Member Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    5,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I hate armored superheroes. I think they're so inherently goofy as a concept that asking "but what if they get hurt" is like asking "what if Batman has to poop, does he just do it on a rooftop?" I'm fine if someone tells me he's got tri-weave kevlar or something in the Batsuit so he doesn't get immediately killed. It's fine as long as it doesn't get too bulky.

    But then you get Injustice where everyone looks like the tripped and fell into a scrap metal junkyard wearing a skintight suit coated with gorilla glue. It just looks awful.

    Nothing about the DCU makes sense with respect to real world physics or logic. The concept of the Batrope is ludicrous on its own, as is Superman catching someone who is falling from a building. But it works in their universe and I can live with it because those are the rules of engagement with the medium. Same with manga and how every character tells the person they're fighting what move they're using and somehow they always still land, or how the pacing needs to be god awful because the mangaka are under one of the most grueling work environments we know of in any creative field and are tasked with writing and drawing 20 pages a week with an army of people filling in their line work. It's part-and-parcel with the medium.

    Some bullshit kevlar weave for the Nightwing suit? Cool. I can buy it. Won't protect them from higher caliber rounds but it's protective. The Future State Nightwing suit? Hard pass!
    Gods yes. The only decent costumes in the Injustice franchise are the ones where they barely change anything or DLC skins from stuff like the movies (aka the costumes NRS had little to no creative input on).

    All the others across both games are easily the ugliest things those characters have ever worn.

  9. #3054
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Gods yes. The only decent costumes in the Injustice franchise are the ones where they barely change anything or DLC skins from stuff like the movies (aka the costumes NRS had little to no creative input on).

    All the others across both games are easily the ugliest things those characters have ever worn.
    I'd say the Finch costume and the Deodato "biker" outfit are much worse than any of Diana's Injustice outfits.

  10. #3055
    Extraordinary Member Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    5,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'd say the Finch costume and the Deodato "biker" outfit are much worse than any of Diana's Injustice outfits.
    The Finch era costume I would agree is a contender but while I don't care for the Deodato biker outfit I never really disliked it enough to consider it the worst. The way Deodato drew the regular costume annoyed me more.

  11. #3056
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    1,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Gods yes. The only decent costumes in the Injustice franchise are the ones where they barely change anything or DLC skins from stuff like the movies (aka the costumes NRS had little to no creative input on).

    All the others across both games are easily the ugliest things those characters have ever worn.
    The two Power Girl skins were among those two decent costumes.

  12. #3057
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    64,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Just looking at Midnight for example, how does her dominatrix get up compliment her ability to make people fall asleep? And trying to justify a fanservice character doesn't make her well written or interesting. DC and Marvel are also making that type of character less prominent after being called out for it for years.

    Manga is certainly better than superhero comics in some regards (and weaker than other types of comics in many regards).

    For instance, western comics are and have been a lot better with LGBT characters than manga has been for a long time. One need only look Puri-Puri Prisoner to see how backwards manga is in that regard. To say nothing of the issues regarding female characters in manga vs the ones in comics. I don't think anyone can claim with a straight face that shonen manga is better than western comics in that regard.
    I may be mis-remembering but I think it helps her spread her pheremones? I could be wrong.

    For Midnight's it's also basically a style thing. The My Hero Academia Vigilante's manga show teenage Midnight who had an even skimpier costume because that's just what she wanted to wear until they passed a law restricting her to do so.

  13. #3058
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    I'd like to see Superman trust more people with kryptonite. That should be a sign of an extreme bond between Superman and whichever character he decides to trust with it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •