Page 100 of 332 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110150200 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 4968
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Much like Shayera and Sue Storm, Barbara should have just changed the name to Batwoman at some point. Nothing else needed to be changed.

Missed opportunity though. It should have happened back in the Bronze age or if they had managed to restore her before the debut of Kate Kane. Too late now as Kate is great and not likely to go anywhere anytime soon.

Much like Shayera and Sue Storm, Barbara should have just changed the name to Batwoman at some point. Nothing else needed to be changed.
    And yet they actually had a story where Barbara decided not to do that (Kathy showed up).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

Missed opportunity though. It should have happened back in the Bronze age or if they had managed to restore her before the debut of Kate Kane. Too late now as Kate is great and not likely to go anywhere anytime soon.
    They actually had an issue touch on this in Bronze age! She and the original Batwoman (A precursor character to Kate) teamed up and discussed the possibility now that Batwoman had been retired for a while; Barbara actually opted to keep Batgirl because, basically, she liked it. And ya know, I respect that! I think womanhood is defined by more than just name or even attitude; it's experience!

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    They actually had an issue touch on this in Bronze age! She and the original Batwoman (A precursor character to Kate) teamed up and discussed the possibility now that Batwoman had been retired for a while; Barbara actually opted to keep Batgirl because, basically, she liked it. And ya know, I respect that! I think womanhood is defined by more than just name or even attitude; it's experience!
    And I think it was an editorial response to fans' criticism of a grown woman using "girl" when all the men (Superman, Batman, etc.) used "man." Heck, as soon as Dick went to college they called him "teen wonder" instead of "boy wonder" because of connotation, I think. And while we do use "boys' night out" and the like, there is a very different connotation to referring to a man as "a boy" and a woman as "a girl." Pretty much no one says "there's a boy at the office who ..." But using girl in any sort of professional context (and I do rather consider their heroing jobs that way) doesn't work for me at all.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 11-10-2019 at 08:42 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    And I think it was an editorial response to fans' criticism of a grown woman using "girl" when all the men (Superman, Batman, etc.) used "man."
    I think you hit the nail on the head.

It seems like pretty transparent reasoning the keep calling her "girl" when in the bronze age she was at least 25.
    Kara similarly should have started to be called Superwoman at some point, as she was around Babs's age if not a little bit younger.

It's telling that no one had a problem with calling Peter Parker and Bobby Drake Spider-Man and Iceman respectively when they were teenagers but we have to jump through hoops to keep Barbara and Karen as Batgirl and Powergirl long after they've aged out of those names.

Hell, was Karen even a teenager when she debuted?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It's telling that no one had a problem with calling Peter Parker and Bobby Drake Spider-Man and Iceman respectively when they were teenagers but we have to jump through hoops to keep Barbara and Karen as Batgirl and Powergirl long after they've aged out of those names.

Hell, was Karen even a teenager when she debuted?
    Yes. The gimmick was that she was a teenager on Krypton when Clark was a baby, but her voyage involved suspended animation so she showed up at the same age as when Krypton exploded.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Batgirl should have stayed Oracle and passed the mantle, Powergirl should get a new moniker, but Power woman is kind of clunky and doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Batgirl should have stayed Oracle and passed the mantle, Powergirl should get a new moniker, but Power woman is kind of clunky and doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue.
    Powerella? Power Lady? Poweria? Pow-Pow? Kryptonia? Ultra Woman? Superia?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Powerella? Power Lady? Poweria? Pow-Pow? Kryptonia? Ultra Woman? Superia?
    To be honest with you, much like how she seems to be tied to jokes about her bust/boob window, I think Kara is savvy enough to know no name change will really stick and probably doesn't care to change it. Much like her teammate Alan Scott, nobody really wanted to call him "Sentinel" and was waiting out his insistence of it so they could call him GL again. Especially when under Jimmy and Amanda's pen, she's both very aware and over what people think about her and her colleagues. You could argue that it's going to be sad referring to herself as "Power Girl" in her thirties, but frankly she's never going to get that old outside Elseworlds so it seems like addressing a problem we won't really need to deal with. I don't think Nightwing is ever going to be older than 28, usually 23-25 and I imagine Kara is about there as well.
    Last edited by Robanker; 11-11-2019 at 11:15 PM.

You could argue that it's going to be sad referring to herself as "Power Girl" in her thirties, but frankly she's never going to get that old outside Elseworlds so it seems like addressing a problem we won't really need to deal with.
    I agree she won't get that old. But to me, characters should never act like they know they are in a work of fiction. They should not make decisions based on the idea that time will never pass.

Boisterously Confused

I agree she won't get that old. But to me, characters should never act like they know they are in a work of fiction. They should not make decisions based on the idea that time will never pass.
    A little winking at the fourth wall is okay. Occasionally.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I think it's more that she may still think "girl" is applicable. Not that "woman" isn't per se, but it's possible she hasn't hit that point where she thinks she must change it because holding on to "girl" would be sad. The character will age, or at least as far as she knows, but functionally it won't happen because DC isn't going to advance Kara into her thirties.

The Paul Kupperberg DOOM PATROL was much better than Grant Morrison's.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    The Paul Kupperberg DOOM PATROL was much better than Grant Morrison's.
    Uh, that's pretty controversial, for sure!
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.