Page 18 of 333 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I think Captain Marvel should be a "Sixth Ranger" in the Justice League. He's not a full-time member, but a sort of honorary reserve member who usually only shows up during some big crisis when they need as many big guns as possible, or as a pinch hitter for Superman if Supes is absent.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Oh Namor's absolutely worse... but Arthur hasn't done anything to disable the offenses... or warn the league and the surface world about Atlantis' inevitable attack whenever he undoubtedly loses the throne to Ocean Master or whoever.
    AtlantisÂ’ weapons arenÂ’t solely for surface invasion. TheyÂ’re for defense as well. Ocean Master or whoever else usurps the throne using them to attack the surface world isnÂ’t on Arthur. This isnÂ’t like the Batman contingencies that actually were made with the intent of hurting the League. Atlantis isnÂ’t hostile towards the surface while ArthurÂ’s in charge.

I think there's a difference between having secrets... and actively jeopardizing your allies. Tower of Babel is sooooo much worse than 'I didn't know every facet of your origin and homelifeÂ…
    And what happens if a villain who does know about BillyÂ’s origin decides to use that against the League in some way? Like, say, a spell that allows him to control children but not adults? Any secret information could be used against the League.

Except arguably in Billy's case. Experience and Wisdom are PART of his powers. Captain Marvel tends to have a child-like morality... but he's hardly ever shown to be inexperienced or a screw up. Wisdom of Solomon is a tricky power to balance well... but it's still on his list. When he's in his powered form He's in no way incompetent or in 'training'. He's CAPTAIN MARVEL in all his glory. Second only to Superman... and that's only on a bad day.
    Billy’s “wisdom” is derived from a guy whose obsession with foreign women brought ruin to his kingdom. Billy has repeatedly been shown to be naïve and duped like any other child.

Which all in all is tricky when they start talking about what counts as 'experience'. I loved in the YJ clip when they were comparing the ages of the others. Superboy is only 'one.' Robin's been trained since he was 9. Miss Martian is in her 40's. How long has Red Tornado been active? Heck, how long has Wonder Woman been off her perfect island? Should someone that naïve in the way of the world be on the team?
    In the YJ universe, both Red Tornado and Wonder Woman have been active since the 1940s. IÂ’d say they have way more world experience than a child. Even ignoring that, an adult that hasn't left their country is not as naive as a child.

Its a weird world that they live in, but there are so many weird corner cases... getting upset by this is just dumb.
    YouÂ’ve yet to adequately explain why.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    No one else lied about their age. It's obvious he didn't do that because he suspected they wouldn't let him join because he was a child. And they let him stay anyway.
    Diana’s around 3,000 years old, and looks 25. When did she stand up and say “I’m 3000.”

If Miss Martian is a teen at 48, then J’onn is at least several hundred.

No one else is required to give their age, so why is it different for him?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And considering they decided not to vote him out of the League, it seems learning about his age did not outweigh the benefits to him as a Justice League member.
    But they still treat him differently. To me, it’s less that they don’t want him around and more they treat him like he’s 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I think Captain Marvel should be a "Sixth Ranger" in the Justice League. He's not a full-time member, but a sort of honorary reserve member who usually only shows up during some big crisis when they need as many big guns as possible, or as a pinch hitter for Superman if Supes is absent.

This. I so agree with this.

And what happens if a villain who does know about BillyÂ’s origin decides to use that against the League in some way? Like, say, a spell that allows him to control children but not adults? Any secret information could be used against the League.
    Then they’d have control of a normal 10 year old. The very episode before this proved Captain Marvel is considered an adult by magic, as while Billy was in the kid world, the Captain was in the adult world.

It would make more sense to me that a villain with that spell try to control Young Justice or the Teen Titans than Billy.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    Diana’s around 3,000 years old, and looks 25. When did she stand up and say “I’m 3000.”

If Miss Martian is a teen at 48, then J’onn is at least several hundred.

No one else is required to give their age, so why is it different for him?

Diana has been around in the YJ universe since the 1940s. She wouldn't need to say she's 3000 because she's been in the public since then. J'onn likely told them his age given he pointed out M'gann is a teen by Earth years.

Where are you even getting the idea they're not required to give their age or at the very least not pretend to be older than they actually are?

But they still treat him differently. To me, it’s less that they don’t want him around and more they treat him like he’s 4.
    They treat him like a kid which he actually is. His behavior doesn't help.

Then they’d have control of a normal 10 year old. The very episode before this proved Captain Marvel is considered an adult by magic, as while Billy was in the kid world, the Captain was in the adult world.

It would make more sense to me that a villain with that spell try to control Young Justice or the Teen Titans than Billy.
    Inconsistency is one of magic's most well known traits especially in the DCU. Just because it worked that way with the spell Klarion cast doesn't mean another mage will work the same way.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-13-2018 at 04:18 AM.

Diana has been around in the YJ universe since the 1940s. She wouldn't need to say she's 3000 because she's been in the public since then. J'onn likely told them his age given he pointed out M'gann is a teen by Earth years.

Where are you even getting the idea they're not required to give their age or at the very least not pretend to be older than they actually are?
    Your argument is Billy should have told them he was ten unprompted. On a level, I feel we agree, ie the tension caused was not healthy for the team. My argument is that Billy’s secret ID is important, so he shouldn’t join. Your argument his he should give up his ID so he should join, a requirement no other league member has.

Before you say “but it’s just his age, not his ID,” saying “I’m a ten year old in an adult body” will lead to other questions. How did this happen, what did your parents say, who are your parents.

I’m arguin this is all not worth the trouble so he never should have joined to begin with.
    Last edited by SilverWarriorWolf; 09-13-2018 at 04:23 AM.

They treat him like a kid which he actually is. His behavior doesn't help.
    Showing no gratitude for him saving the world. Not even a thank you, but.

Inconsistency is one of magic's most well known traits especially in the DCU. Just because it worked that way with the spell Klarion cast doesn't mean another mage will work the same way.
    By that logic, then magic could do anything. Said caster could just turn the league into kids and control them that way.

Your argument is Billy should have told them he was ten unprompted. On a level, I feel we agree, ie the tension caused was not healthy for the team. My argument is that Billy’s secret ID is important, so he shouldn’t join. Your argument his he should give up his ID so he should join, a requirement no other league member has.

Before you say “but it’s just his age, not his ID,” saying “I’m a ten year old in an adult body” will lead to other questions. How did this happen, what did your parents say, who are your parents.

I’m arguin this is all not worth the trouble so he never should have joined to begin with.
    Well the League seemed to know each other's identities (Superman and Batman met as Clark and Bruce at a diner to discuss Superboy and some like John Stewart and Wonder Woman don't even have secret identities) in YJ so clearly they are required to give up their identities.

Showing no gratitude for him saving the world. Not even a thank you, but.

Yeah that's not how gratitude works. You don't have your mistakes erased because you did a good thing.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-13-2018 at 04:27 AM.

Well the League seemed to know each other's identities (Superman and Batman met as Clark and Bruce at a diner to discuss Superboy and some like John Stewart and Wonder Woman don't even have secret identities) in YJ so clearly they are required to give up their identities.
    If that’s so, why didn’t they know before? They never said “you lied about your ID” they said “you didn’t reveal your age” so he didn’t give a fake ID, just never brought up his age.

Batman and Superman are always friends BEFORE the JL began. Wonder Woman has no secret ID, and Hal was a founding member who by being a Green Lantern would know John’s.

If it’s that this is a group you need to feel close enough to reveal your ID to before you join, and Billy clearly didn’t feel that comfortable, then it only supports my argument that he should have never joined.

Yeah that's not how gratitude works. You don't have your mistakes erased because you did a good thing.
    I agree, but you acknowledge it happened. “I know you saved our behinds back there, but we’re still upset.” Just that line could have improved things so much.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

I know it won't happen, but Captain Marvel and his family probably belong in a universe of their own.

If that’s so, why didn’t they know before? They never said “you lied about your ID” they said “you didn’t reveal your age” so he didn’t give a fake ID, just never brought up his age.
    It’s effectively the same thing.

Batman and Superman are always friends BEFORE the JL began.
    Not from what I’ve seen in this continuity. The league was formed during an invasion. There’s no mention of Superman and Batman working together or being friends prior to the League’s formation.

Wonder Woman has no secret ID, and Hal was a founding member who by being a Green Lantern would know John’s.
    John doesn’t wear a mask so he isn’t keeping a secret identity.

I agree, but you acknowledge it happened. “I know you saved our behinds back there, but we’re still upset.” Just that line could have improved things so much.
    I suppose this is fair, but I don’t think they’re inclined to bring up he saved their lives. And again, they still let him stay.

It’s effectively the same thing.
    Not really, unless a matter of legality is at hand.

Not from what I’ve seen in this continuity. The league was formed during an invasion. There’s no mention of Superman and Batman working together or being friends prior to the League’s formation.
    They clearly had a relationship, you’re own mention of their correspondence proves that. None of them have that relationship with Cap.

John doesn’t wear a mask so he isn’t keeping a secret identity.
    That’s most to my point.

I suppose this is fair, but I don’t think they’re inclined to bring up he saved their lives. And again, they still let him stay.
    I think this is a matter we’re just not going to agree on.