Page 187 of 332 FirstFirst ... 87137177183184185186187188189190191197237287 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,805 of 4968
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    DCAU Harley Quinn was just as much of an annoying Scrappy/creator's pet of a character as her current iteration is and also equally unsympathetic.
    We part here. I thought DCAU Harley was a great example of a person broken and who became a villain that you felt bad for but still needed to be stopped. She wasn't at all frustrating like her current incarnation is who essentially gets absolved of all her numerous crimes (direct or by associations) including countless murders because, well, "she was a victim!"

And the people she killed weren't? But she makes DC money so all is well. Pass. Show me that redemption arc and have hear deal with the fallout of it. Hal didn't get to handwave Parallax, he had to deal with it when he came back. I've yet to see that for Harley.

But in animation they never really tried redeeming her fully. She was always a villain, albeit with a sliding scale of villainy (being more harmless on her own than with the Joker) and was dealt with accordingly depending on how she was at the time. I dunno. She worked there for me. It didn't feel like they were treating her differently from his other rogues whereas now she gets the big "I'm huge at Hot Topic, you can't hurt me" asterisk.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    We part here. I thought DCAU Harley was a great example of a person broken and who became a villain that you felt bad for but still needed to be stopped. She wasn't at all frustrating like her current incarnation is who essentially gets absolved of all her numerous crimes (direct or by associations) including countless murders because, well, "she was a victim!"

And the people she killed weren't? But she makes DC money so all is well. Pass. Show me that redemption arc and have hear deal with the fallout of it. Hal didn't get to handwave Parallax, he had to deal with it when he came back. I've yet to see that for Harley.

But in animation they never really tried redeeming her fully. She was always a villain, albeit with a sliding scale of villainy (being more harmless on her own than with the Joker) and was dealt with accordingly depending on how she was at the time. I dunno. She worked there for me. It didn't feel like they were treating her differently from his other rogues whereas now she gets the big "I'm huge at Hot Topic, you can't hurt me" asterisk.
    Fair enough, I guess just a case of later stuff with her souring my opinion on earlier iterations.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

DCAU Harley is the best DC related character to come out of the 90s.

She's still been driven into the ground though and it's fair to be fed up with the current output for her.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Hire writers who know NOTHING about a character. (Gene Conway Jason Rusch)
    To be fair, Gerry Conway is Firestorm's creator. He's been fairly vocal over the years that Firestorm was supposed to be Ronnie Raymond and Dr. Martin Stein, and only those two characters. All the way back to when John Ostrander took over as writer on the Firestorm book and started messing with who was in the "Firestorm Matrix" in the '80s. I know you're pissed that in restoring Firestorm back to his original vision of the character that he ejected Jason Rusch from that matrix, but I'm pretty sure Conway was not doing it based on Jason's race.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    The whole Paralax saga was the first thing of Hal's I read so I loved it, I didn't really care about the giant space roach thing but overall it's one of my favorite arcs in comic books.
    It was terrifying and the scariest thing I had read in comics. But also sad because I understood how he got there.

I like New 52 Lobo and Earth 2. And Superman blue was sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog of War View Post
    I feel like New 52 Lobo would've been ok if it was his son or something, he caught too much flack trying to replace the original so nobody ever really gave it a chance.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I also like the idea of Lobo's edgy emo son lol

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dog of War View Post
    OG Lobo was a parody of 90's superhero tropes. You could say that New 52 Lobo was a parody of modern Shonen rival tropes.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

As a fan of the Kyle Rayner character, I feel like he only works as the sole Green Lantern. If DC was so adamant about resurrecting Hal Jordan, they should've had Rayner recieve a heroic send-off. Either have him retire or have hin die saving the world or the universe. A perfect place to have done this was the Obsidian Age storyline, where Kyle does die, albeit temporarily.

Spectacular Member

I really like the new 52 as a relatively new reader with many amazing stories like Scott Snyder's Batman, Justice League by Geoff Johns and Francis Manapul's Flash all great, fresh stories to attract new readers. The new 52 as a whole seems to be a success in all areas except the teen titans line where DC didn't seem to know whether they wanted to reboot that part of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning63 View Post
    I really like the new 52 as a relatively new reader with many amazing stories like Scott Snyder's Batman, Justice League by Geoff Johns and Francis Manapul's Flash all great, fresh stories to attract new readers. The new 52 as a whole seems to be a success in all areas except the teen titans line where DC didn't seem to know whether they wanted to reboot that part of the universe
    The New 52 was only a success in very, very few areas. By Didio's own admission, most new fans just read older comics anyway. Mostly because they were more similar to what they saw in movies and t.v. shows.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

yeah!I read older stories at first it was because i thought this wasn't familiar and some of which was truly boring..But,then i realised Goldenage in particular was more my taste because phantom was the go to hero of my childhood and old pulp fiction characters like mowgli/genre based characters where awesome for me in general.Postcrisis other than wally west began to feel really dull and mundane in comparison .Heck!one of the reason i prefer fantastic four,hulk,cap..etc to the rest of marvel .So,i can safely say new52 gave a perspective change for me.Other than things like ww/superman,titans and barry allen which i didn't like.New52 was ok.I didn't like the armoured design thing though.

Astonishing Member

The DC Universe would be much better if each of their "generations" were broken up into 5 year intervals.

Dick's generation->Jason's generation->Tim's generation->Damian's generation

I would support a Jonah Hex Brave and The Bold book where he just teams up with a random other hero each issue.