Page 21 of 333 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by josai21 View Post
    Bruce Wayne/Clark Kent's Generation needs to be allowed to grow old and die.

Current Justice League should be made of Dick's generation.
    I don't know about the dying part but I agree that they should age. Theres no point in creating legions of kids characters that're never gonna get a chance to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And that's not accounting for the people who probably still want to read about the OG!'s preceding Dick's group.

I think a true and continuing ongoing narrative in a comic book universe is a cool and novel concept, if not one I think the Big Two could ever reasonably pull off.
    DC can just pull a multiversity/Earth-2 ongoing book that follows another Earth that is exactly the same but slightly different with the heroes growing older etc.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    But what does that have to do with the Golden Age? MajorHoy is pretty much the only one who brings up the Golden Age more often than not.

I was born '98 started reading around 2002. Pretty much all the comics I grew up with and loved were made before I was born. So that line of thinking and what I like is wrong just because it's older? I'm glad I was born when I was because I have instant access to all these stories without waiting.
    It's not a comic book specific term, it's a term to describe behavior. You do realize the phrase "Golden Age" exists outside of the comic book lexicon, right?
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-23-2019 at 07:17 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    It's not a comic book specific term, it's a term to describe behavior. You do realize the phrase "Golden Age" exists outside of the comic book lexicon, right?
    It does?

My mistake for associating Golden Age to comic books on a comic book forum.

If you like new stuff or books that's all well and good. This idea feels like you're trying to come up with a phrase to brush off people who like older things or group them together for whatever reason. Like I could come up with a phrase like "Rebirth Thinking" or some other lame phrase that is associated with comics but I could say means something else and group you up as well. What's the point of it? It just builds unnecessary tension because you like different things. Liking different things, new things old things, red things blue things, one fish two fish, shouldn't lead to grouping. We all love comics, debating and arguing should come at the merits of storytelling or versions of characters. Not because a poster grew up with something differentWhich is funny since you brought of tribalism as a bad think yet you are creating/naming one you oppose. Which implies that you have your own tribe.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Fantastic Member

Basically the idea would be the main line follows a straight timeline...allowing heroes to grow old and move on. But there could be another line of either a different earth or in continuity stories for characters like Batman.

DC can just pull a multiversity/Earth-2 ongoing book that follows another Earth that is exactly the same but slightly different with the heroes growing older etc.
    I guess that could work, assuming DC is willing to do another attempt at an Earth-2 book.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess that could work, assuming DC is willing to do another attempt at an Earth-2 book.
    I thought Earth-2 was really good for awhile. Before it turned to crap.

Spectacular Member

My controversial opinion is that I'm tired of all the bat characters (especially batman), them having their hand in almost every nook and cranny of the stories and them pretty much being the leaders of every team. Sometimes the amount of time they are used could be instead be used for exposure of a lesser known character.

It does?

My mistake for associating Golden Age to comic books on a comic book forum.

If you like new stuff or books that's all well and good. This idea feels like you're trying to come up with a phrase to brush off people who like older things or group them together for whatever reason. Like I could come up with a phrase like "Rebirth Thinking" or some other lame phrase that is associated with comics but I could say means something else and group you up as well. What's the point of it? It just builds unnecessary tension because you like different things. Liking different things, new things old things, red things blue things, one fish two fish, shouldn't lead to grouping. We all love comics, debating and arguing should come at the merits of storytelling or versions of characters. Not because a poster grew up with something differentWhich is funny since you brought of tribalism as a bad think yet you are creating/naming one you oppose. Which implies that you have your own tribe.
    His problem isn't people simply liking older comics. His problem is how this obsession with older comics has halted DC's progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    His problem isn't people simply liking older comics. His problem is how this obsession with older comics has halted DC's progression.
    How does that halt DC's progression? Whatever that means.

Fantastic Member

DC (and marvel) are both very stagnant insofar as it relates to characters.

Surely you must have noticed all the complaints on these boards of legacy characters being killed off, turned into villains or put into limbo so their predecessors can regain their mantles.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 01-24-2019 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Surely you must have you not noticed all the complaints on these boards of legacy characters being killed off, turned into villains or put into limbo so their predecessors can regain their mantles.
    Yeah a bunch of guys on a comic book forum. That's not really a big majority of people who have decision making power at DC.

Progression might not be the best word (since it implies a direction), change or adaptation might be a better word. Apart from what Agent Z mentioned, there is a second meaning of the term Golden Age that might be better suited to this discussion, and that is the analogue of that the golden age of science fiction is twelve. DiDio (to take the obvious example) was twelve in 1971, right just when comics became darker and grittier: the death of Gwen Stacy, comics about drug use, and so on.

Sf author Charles Stross wrote an essay a while back: Dread of Heinleinism. Even if the specifics are rather dissimilar, the pattern of behaviour is rather similar, and it is a to me a reasonable theory that DiDio wants to recreate the comics experience he had in the early 70s.

Yeah a bunch of guys on a comic book forum. That's not really a big majority of people who have decision making power at DC.
    I wasn't saying the comic book forum posters have the power. I was talking about DC's regressing their universe by taking legacies away and restoring their predecessors. How is this confusing you?