Page 20 of 138 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast
Results 286 to 300 of 2067
  1. #286
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    72

    Default

    totally agree
    one of the mistakes of the rebirth/new 52 is sideling dick in the superhero community
    He was great with team dynamics..

  2. #287
    Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    The only thing that Batman is the best at in the DCU is paranoia.
    I agree. I like Batman, but heís overrated.

  3. #288
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    72

    Default

    I did not like young justice (the new comic) and always thought that conner was a kinda of flat character.
    Also, wtf bendis did with john kent (f*****)

  4. #289
    Uncanny King-Kamalu lemonpeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    the internet
    Posts
    2,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I asked you before, I never got an answer so I'll ask again. What is Golden Age thinking?
    Golden age thinking basically is a term for romanticizing the past or a "simpler time". What's old = best, what's new or present = can't compare. More broad and less personal than nostalgia. If a old dude is crowing about how great the 70s were that's nostalgia, him crowing to his grandson and his grandson starts going on about "oh man I was born in the wrong generation" that's golden age thinking. Like when people started swing dancing in the 90s. Nostalgia's like squares and Gold Age thinking's like rectangles.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-23-2019 at 05:11 PM.
    SIGNAL/Duke Thomas is the Midnight Sun of Gotham(respect thread)

    Martin to Malcolm: militant Professor X is kinda the wave right now

    DC: Batman & The Outsiders, Teen Titans, Suicide Squad, The Flash, Justice League Odyssey, Far Sector, Red Hood/Outlaws

    Marvel: Immortal Hulk, Miles Morales: Spiderman, Black Panther, X-Men (2019), Venom, X-Force, Hellions, Giant Sized X-Men

    Anticipated titles: anything from Milestone*, X of Swords

  5. #290
    Titans Together!! byrd156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    9,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Golden age thinking basically is a term for romanticizing the past or a "simpler time". What's old = best, what's new or present = can't compare. More broad and less personal than nostalgia. If a old dude is crowing about how great the 70s were that's nostalgia, him crowing to his grandson and his grandson starts going on about "oh man I was born in the wrong generation" that's golden age thinking. Like when people started swing dancing in the 90s. Nostalgia's like squares and Gold Age thinking's like rectangles.
    But what does that have to do with the Golden Age? MajorHoy is pretty much the only one who brings up the Golden Age more often than not.

    I was born '98 started reading around 2002. Pretty much all the comics I grew up with and loved were made before I was born. So that line of thinking and what I like is wrong just because it's older? I'm glad I was born when I was because I have instant access to all these stories without waiting.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

    "In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

    "One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

  6. #291
    Amazing Member Jcady59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by josai21 View Post
    Bruce Wayne/Clark Kent's Generation needs to be allowed to grow old and die.

    Current Justice League should be made of Dick's generation.
    And the moment you do that DC dies right along with them. Giving the spotlight to a bunch of underdeveloped and in a lot of cases surface level deep characters is a very bad idea, especially when a lot of the focus put on DC and DCís relevance comes from those characters that you want gone. Now Iím not saying donít put them on league or try and raise there statues and importance, but removing an entire generation(and screwing over there fans) for another that letís be honest havenít proven themselves out side of two maybe three characters is ridiculous.

  7. #292
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    1,820

    Default

    DC does not have a reformed villain archetype and has no idea how to properly do a heel-face turn. This is because they attempt redeem characters based on popularity or writer bias.

  8. #293
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    50,410

    Default

    I like the in-continuity animated movies.

  9. #294
    Astonishing Member Pohzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    tOSU
    Posts
    2,596

    Default

    Aging out and replacing the current top-tier heroes would allow for some great development for the DCU. Until the second-tier heroes reach the same level of sagnation.

    Rinse and repeat this and you will have a continuity too far removed from the ideas and characters that made it popular in the first place.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

    Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)


  10. #295
    Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Aging out and replacing the current top-tier heroes would allow for some great development for the DCU. Until the second-tier heroes reach the same level of sagnation.

    Rinse and repeat this and you will have a continuity too far removed from the ideas and characters that made it popular in the first place.
    It’s a nice idea, but people get attached to characters. What happen when, following your logic, when Dick’s group age out and now it’s Damien’s generation’s turn, and now Dick’s fans don’t want to give him but.

    Basically, I see as make new, but keep old. It’s both/and, not either/or.

  11. #296
    Titans Together!! byrd156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    9,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    It’s a nice idea, but people get attached to characters. What happen when, following your logic, when Dick’s group age out and now it’s Damien’s generation’s turn, and now Dick’s fans don’t want to give him but.

    Basically, I see as make new, but keep old. It’s both/and, not either/or.
    Not if the next gen took over and they kept that going. I love Dick's gen because they seem to be the only ones who have aged and grown along the heroes. Once they became the next big guys I would expect Tim's gen to take over etc. But this would never happen, it's a nice thought though.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

    "In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

    "One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

  12. #297
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    50,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    It’s a nice idea, but people get attached to characters. What happen when, following your logic, when Dick’s group age out and now it’s Damien’s generation’s turn, and now Dick’s fans don’t want to give him but.

    Basically, I see as make new, but keep old. It’s both/and, not either/or.
    And that's not accounting for the people who probably still want to read about the OG!'s preceding Dick's group.

    I think a true and continuing ongoing narrative in a comic book universe is a cool and novel concept, if not one I think the Big Two could ever reasonably pull off.

  13. #298
    Astonishing Member 9th.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by josai21 View Post
    Bruce Wayne/Clark Kent's Generation needs to be allowed to grow old and die.

    Current Justice League should be made of Dick's generation.
    I don't know about the dying part but I agree that they should age. Theres no point in creating legions of kids characters that're never gonna get a chance to grow up.

  14. #299
    Titans Together!! byrd156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    9,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And that's not accounting for the people who probably still want to read about the OG!'s preceding Dick's group.

    I think a true and continuing ongoing narrative in a comic book universe is a cool and novel concept, if not one I think the Big Two could ever reasonably pull off.
    DC can just pull a multiversity/Earth-2 ongoing book that follows another Earth that is exactly the same but slightly different with the heroes growing older etc.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

    "In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

    "One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

  15. #300
    Uncanny King-Kamalu lemonpeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    the internet
    Posts
    2,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    But what does that have to do with the Golden Age? MajorHoy is pretty much the only one who brings up the Golden Age more often than not.

    I was born '98 started reading around 2002. Pretty much all the comics I grew up with and loved were made before I was born. So that line of thinking and what I like is wrong just because it's older? I'm glad I was born when I was because I have instant access to all these stories without waiting.
    It's not a comic book specific term, it's a term to describe behavior. You do realize the phrase "Golden Age" exists outside of the comic book lexicon, right?
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-23-2019 at 07:17 PM.
    SIGNAL/Duke Thomas is the Midnight Sun of Gotham(respect thread)

    Martin to Malcolm: militant Professor X is kinda the wave right now

    DC: Batman & The Outsiders, Teen Titans, Suicide Squad, The Flash, Justice League Odyssey, Far Sector, Red Hood/Outlaws

    Marvel: Immortal Hulk, Miles Morales: Spiderman, Black Panther, X-Men (2019), Venom, X-Force, Hellions, Giant Sized X-Men

    Anticipated titles: anything from Milestone*, X of Swords

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •