Page 315 of 334 FirstFirst ... 215265305311312313314315316317318319325 ... LastLast
Results 4,711 to 4,725 of 5006

Please. Please! PLEASE! No more Crises. At least for ten years

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Am I the only one who really liked the Tenth Circle arc on JLA? People understandably expected more from the team behind Uncanny X Men, but I never had those expectations and enjoyed it for the simple, if a little generic superheroes vs. vampires story that the comic was.

The Tenth Cirlce also feels like a swan song for John Byrne to me, because it was one of the last projects he did for the Big Two. After JLA he had brief runs on Doom Patrol, The Demon, and Superman that were generally maligned.

While not as good as Byrne's 80s and early 90s work, I thought Jerry Ordway did a great job inking him.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 11-06-2022 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Am I the only one who really liked the Tenth Circle arc on JLA? People understandably expected more from the team behind Uncanny X Men, but I never had those expectations and enjoyed it for the simple, if a little generic superheroes vs. vampires story that the comic was.

The Tenth Cirlce also feels like a swan song for John Byrne to me, because it was one of the last projects he did for the Big Two. After JLA he had brief runs on Doom Patrol, The Demon, and Superman that were generally maligned.

While not as good as Byrne's 80s and early 90s work, I thought Jerry Ordway did a great job inking him.
    I thought Tenth Circle had a nice idea at the heart of the story... it just needed a better setup. I think the super-vampire ritual should have been much earlier. It was feared as if it'd be the end of the world, but literally did nothing but setup a... weak-sauce fight between the JL and the super-vampires. Crucifer was supposedly weaker than the guys he was summoning, but... he got more work done than they did... collectively. It'd have been better if the super-vampire ritual had been completed in issue 2, but unknown to the heroes who are still trying to stop the ritual in issue 3... but.. team fight time! The heroes get ambushed by the super vampires, and then it's a fight to take down the Vampires before they can finish phase two of the vampire plan to rule the world.

But again, it had nice ideas. Crucifer found vessels for the ancient vampire spirits to inhabit that had powers, so that it created super-vampires when the ancient vampire spirits inhabited them. Another is the whole vampire thing of turning or controlling heroes to shift the balance. The heroes don't want to kill their friends.... and so on.

I was fine with the JSA being on Earth 2.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I prefer the JSA on Earth 2!

Quote Originally Posted by etrumble View Post
    I was fond of Robinson's take on Earth 2. So I wouldn't mind a middle ground between his take and classic JSA.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Both of you are going on the naughty list for this year. Start thinking of applications for your lump of coal.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

BANNED

About Tenth Circle, I've read it at least twice and always came away thinking it wasn't worth a mention. My memory of it isn't fresh, I'll grant. It felt kind of dated for its time. The villain was extremely campy yet powerful. I think it was probably my first introduction to the Doom Patrol, and they were interesting. I always thought the art was pretty good. I recall no character development or interesting character exchanges, but that seemed typical of JLA at the time, which I never liked, but I know people will argue that it's that way for "reasons," which I don't necessarily think have to be the case. But I guess it was Claremont just coming in to do a JLA story, it's not like he was a long-time writer on that book, so I guess it's to be expected.

I didn't have any expectations for it. At the time I first read it, I was just a kid looking for JLA stories, and the name Chris Claremont didn't mean anything to me. I mean, I knew the X-Men and I knew the idea of many of his stories from other media, but I didn't know off the top of my head at the time that he was the one behind them. I did know John Byrne from Superman, though (I was much more of a DC kid).

Byrne was like, the ultimate Superman guy to me, and I was a kid who would try to draw his panels, so it was worth seeing his work on JLA.
    Last edited by Proto Man; 11-08-2022 at 02:08 PM.

I'm fine with Milestone seperate from DC. Same with Wildstorm and I'm 50/50 on the magic side.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-08-2022 at 02:44 PM.

Only if it's not the New 52 version of "Earth 2".

(I miss pre-CoIE Earth-2 / Earth-Two.)

BANNED

I think the JSA is better off on Earth 2 as well. I've noticed that characters are oftentimes better off the way they are originally meant to be... because they were meant to be that way. When you try shoehorning them or their stories where they don't belong, and changing foundational stuff with them, that's when things can start getting weird with them, and in worst-case scenarios, they can have difficulty recovering, like Donna Troy and Hawkman, and to a lesser extent, Power Girl.

Two opinions:

1) The JSA is not worth sabotaging Wonder Woman.

2) Geoff Johns is a one man case for eliminating continuity, legacy, and shared universes.

The man seriously makes me wonder why I bother reading comics at all.

Amazing Member

Constant reboots have stopped me from actively reading DC titles. I catch up on the news with them on sites such as this... but that is the extent of my interest.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    2) Geoff Johns is a one man case for eliminating continuity, legacy, and shared universes.

The man seriously makes me wonder why I bother reading comics at all.
    See for me, it's the rather distasteful way he combines silver/bronze age tropes/stories with over-the-top '90s-style ultraviolence. I know it's just comics, but I just find it so...disrespectful.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

Deboots exist too.