Page 293 of 293 FirstFirst ... 193243283289290291292293
Results 4,381 to 4,387 of 4387
    Extraordinary Member marhawkman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I feel like this stuff is also why Bruce is pushed to "billionaire" status in terms of wealth, when the character (especially in this day and age) would probably be better served as "just" being a millionaire.

He has to be wealthy just for the basics of the character to work, but making him one of the richest people on the entire planet so he can afford to bust out mecha suits, have 100s of Batmobiles at the ready and fund the entire JL operation (when he doesn't need to- Superman alone can access all the stuff they need before we start factoring in stuff like Amazonian and Atlantean connections) is serious overkill. He'd work just as well as one of the wealthier figures in Gotham, but doesn't even have to be the wealthiest.
    Well, yeah, Bruce has stiff competition when it comes to being a financier in the JL. But his "moderately more ethical version of Lex Luthor" shtick works reasonably well IMO.

Yes I know, some people would prefer the super-martial artist version or "world's greatest detective" as focus, but... those are harder to use in a team book.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Only if the writer is on auto-pilot.

Actually, even then that's not an excuse. People love ninjas. Batman's a ninja. Have him sneak down a hallway full of bad guys without being seen or something. If all the colorful, loud heroes are in a fight and you can't think of something deviously fun for Bruce to be doing while everyone is distracted then you shouldn't be writing Bruce.
    Yup. That kind of thing is cool. The big colorful splashy characters are fighting the army of aliens or robots or whatever, and Batman's nowhere to be seen, and then the fight turns as it is discovered that Batman is in the bad-guy's headquarters already and shutting down his remote army control or teleportals or whatever at the source, and the other Leaguers were basically a distraction (and yes, doing the very real job of keeping the army of parademons or whatever from killing people and taking over the world, so they weren't *just* a distraction!).

Plus it's fun to see the big bad watching the battle between the rest of the League and their army of minions and stop and say, "Wait. Where's Batman?"

"Behind you."

It really is just a matter of figuring out what each character does well, and giving them a badass feat/moment to match. I figure, with the League, half the time you probably gotta write backwards; think of a thing for the hero to do, and then find a reason for them to do it. You gotta say "Okay, I got Aquaman, and I wanna use Kanjar Ro as a villain. What cool thing can Aquaman do here?" so maybe Ro has an army and Arthur is gonna lead the Atlantean military against them on a global battle. Or maybe Arthur's gonna get Ro into some water and kick his ass like Conan the Mermaid Barbarian. Hell you don't even need to know who the villain is; find the cool thing and then grab a bad guy that fits.

Maybe you wanna have Barry do some super speed science of some kind. Well, you need some kinda science-y threat. I'll check the latest articles on science/technology, see what inspires me. Pretty sure I saw a headline today about a fossil having bacteria in it that's been extinct for centuries, and scientists think they can revive it (I didn't read the article). Okay, there's my cool thing; the League is gonna fight some kind of super virus that's gonna do....stuff....and Barry's gonna science it to death. No idea what the plot is beyond that, but as I decide what the other Leaguers are doing, the blanks will get filled in and everyone is gonna end up having a moment to shine somewhere.

And if it turns out that a member of the League doesn't have a cool thing that fits? Leave them out of the issue/arc. Not every member *needs* to be a major player in *every* story after all.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Colossal Boy's Silver Age design is better than his current one
    Scotty Fischer's New 52 design is better than his old one
    Batman & Robin is a great movie and it is not meant to be taken seriously
    Cyborg should like having cybernetics at first
    Black Manta's suit being sealed to a microscopic level is DUMB. He should've been killed by Atomica going inside him (and WE SEE INSIDE)
    Cyborg x Atom (both Ray and Ryan) is ADORABLE
    Corey Burton is the only good Brainiac
    Green Arrow sucks; Hawkeye is better
    We need a continuity where Harvey Dent does not become Two-Face
    "This is just too good to be true." ~ Devil Ray, 2005
    "Hi, guys. Is it too late for tryouts?" ~ Atomica, 2013
    "Avenger means more to me than anything else." ~ Birdman, 1967

Extraordinary Member marhawkman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yup. That kind of thing is cool. The big colorful splashy characters are fighting the army of aliens or robots or whatever, and Batman's nowhere to be seen, and then the fight turns as it is discovered that Batman is in the bad-guy's headquarters already and shutting down his remote army control or teleportals or whatever at the source, and the other Leaguers were basically a distraction (and yes, doing the very real job of keeping the army of parademons or whatever from killing people and taking over the world, so they weren't *just* a distraction!).

Plus it's fun to see the big bad watching the battle between the rest of the League and their army of minions and stop and say, "Wait. Where's Batman?"

"Behind you."
    Yeah, that's a much better way to use Batman than having him get into a slugfest with Kryptonians.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    And yet everything Batman brings to the table, the other Big 7 are also capable of bringing. Barry is a scientist. J'onn is a detective. Clark's more than a bit of both. He, Arthur, and Diana all have easy access to advanced resources, and Lantern can mimic tons of resources. Diana's a terribly skilled combatant even before we consider her powers. Bruce is better at some of these things than the others, and frees up some of their time by handling it while they're doing more superhuman-y things, but the only place he really shines that the others don't at all is stealth...and to a lesser extent, tactical planning; Diana is a skilled general but isn't as good at strategy as Batman.

And those things alone make Bruce League worthy, he doesn't have to be the bestest ever at all the best things the best people do bestly.
    The stealth thing isn't even true either. I would argue that Diana, Jonn, and some others are better at strategy as well. But on a Team facing a broad threat none of that matters as Giffen and DeMatteis masterfully showed many times

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    The stealth thing isn't even true either. I would argue that Diana, Jonn, and some others are better at strategy as well. But on a Team facing a broad threat none of that matters as Giffen and DeMatteis masterfully showed many times
    How is the stealth thing not true?