Page 236 of 236 FirstFirst ... 136186226232233234235236
Results 3,526 to 3,529 of 3529

What exactly do people refer to when they say "amazon training"? Because from the Marston stories I read there was no "secret technique" to get super powers. It was just about the power of thought. If you believe you can lift a giant boulder then you can lift a giant boulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    These feel like two completely separate ideas that have nothing to do with each other.

... I think you have a misunderstanding of what the Portrait of Dorian Gray was about.
    I'm making a comparison through the idea of someone being blessed while something else pays the price for their blessings. In Dorian Gray's case it was about aging. In my pitch for Donna Troy, Diana is protected from the wrath of the gods through the creation of Donna as a cursed being (instead of the greek gods being responsible it could be Titans or something else entirely).

As for this connecting to Donna's insecurities, it's about her feeling worthless and abused and wanting to have Diana's childhood and adoration. Of course I'm talking about her origin. Eventually she would be happy with the help of Diana and the amazons and the Teen Titans. But she would always be the woman that defies fate.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I believe each character in the family should embody a different archetype and theme.

Donna was always the insecure one that could rise above her fears. And she also started out with the impossible tales from Kanigher. To me the John Byrne idea that Donna was artificially created and lived through all the unhappiness a women could experience in various lives is a cool update of both those themes from the 50s, and again, shows something that Diana should never be but that is important none the less for this theme of femininity and power.

Cassie embodies this idea that Diana is bringing about a new type of woman, and that's why Cassie should be the example of an ordinary girl in a world post Wonder Woman, a girl that seeks adventure and power and doesn't have to think about what does it mean to be a strong woman, she can just live it out naturally.

And I don't see what's confusing about my proposition, Donna is the "portrait of Dorian Gray" for Diana. A game between gods led to the creation of Donna Troy so she would live out all the unhappiness that Diana never experienced. She was cursed by time itself. Eventually an epic story about Diana finding out about this and trying to save Donna from the curse of time. Donna has the memories of Diana's happy childhood in Paradise Island, even though she herself never experienced it.
    Based on the themes of the book, Donna being a 'Portrait of Dorian Grey' for Diana might be worst than her having an inconsistent past.

Mighty Member

I don't mind Donna's messy origin. I love the Troia powers and I love the storyline when she became a God along with her sacrifice thereafter. I like all of it and it makes Donna one of the most connected heroes in the DCU. Instead of 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon they have Donna.