Page 103 of 334 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 5002

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    You can make a case that they already sort of have. They had an image with John Stewart with the JLA, but he wasn't a member of that team despite being the active Green Lantern at the time.
    I don't think that's supposed to be 'The JLA'... I think it's just 'Earth 1985'. John Stewart wasn't on that league... but I don't actually remember Supergirl or Batgirl being members either and Zatanna had given up the fishnets by that point hadn't she? Mostly the picture doesn't actually label it as the League.

https://www.themix.net/files/2019/12...bbe647dbd4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I don't think that's supposed to be 'The JLA'... I think it's just 'Earth 1985'. John Stewart wasn't on that league... but I don't actually remember Supergirl or Batgirl being members either and Zatanna had given up the fishnets by that point hadn't she? Mostly the picture doesn't actually label it as the League.

https://www.themix.net/files/2019/12...bbe647dbd4.jpg
    Exactly. It’s just a picture of the heroes that were active in 1985. Also, there was no JLA back then either, just JL Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, you could argue writers don't emphasize it enough, but Superman is an immigrant story. He wasn't born here and hails from an alien culture and he has to grapple with both of his heritage's growing up.

He literally has two names aside from his Superhero name.
    Superman's angle on the immigrant story is a very superficial understanding of the immigrant experience. that's just me coming from my experience both as a child of immigrants and later an immigrant myself. Superman at best is reflective of someone with dual citizenship than the experience of an immigrant. he came h
    to America as a baby, immediately occurred citizenship, then proceeded to live as an "all-American good boy"-type white man in heartland America with god powers. that is not the common immigrant experience or even an allegory for the immigrant experience, especially so in America, and it definitely ain't the type of immigrant story that is culturally relevant in today's day and age. it's hard to relate with the all-powerful god as an immigrant, when is experience is "man, I'm so powerful I should help and protect this country I live in and love" and yours is worrying about the country you "live in and love" kidnapping your kids or starting on your 18th birthday having to take an hour and a half bus commute the next city over to the immigration/border security office bimonthly by yourself for a 5 minute check-in just to not get deported and separated from your family. and look, while not all immigrants have had a rough go of it, it's just hard for me to buy into the "oh he's an immigration story" while simultaneously painting him as this true blue American hero type when you've seen in real-life, on the news, and in my class readings, the history of immigration in America and it just don't match up. I don't think writers should emphasize Superman as an immigrant, in today's climate particularly, it feels like cramming a square peg in a round hole and rings a little disingenuous. if you want an immigrant story, tell it with Bunker, tell it with Vixen, tell it with Katana, David Zavimbe, Kimiyo Hoshi, Kong Kenan, Wonder Woman, hell if you REALLY need a Superman tell it with Hernan Guerra for Gods and Monsters.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I think we saw more elements of the "immigrant story" in the Silver Age, where Clark fully remembered being on Krypton, remembered his parents, and thought of himself as Kal-El, or Superman, before he thought of himself as Clark Kent. And even then the similarities to the immigrant story are fairly thin. Some allegory, parallel, etc., but not the kind of deep examination you'd expect today.

Though Yang's Superman Smashes the Klan is picking up on a few of those threads it seems. Haven't had a chance to read issue 2 but issue 1 definitely tipped its hat to the immigrant story. Which shouldn't surprise anyone who's read Yang's previous work.

These days though it seems like Clark's story has more in common with the "first generation immigrant born in the States" story or being "white passing" than a "proper" immigrant story. Clark looks like a white guy, people assume he's a white guy, but he's not and doesn't seem to really think of himself as one, hence white passing. And while he grew up on earth and identifies as human he also identifies as Kryptonian and honors his culture despite never really being immersed in it.
    Last edited by Ascended; 01-06-2020 at 12:03 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Superman's angle on the immigrant story is a very superficial understanding of the immigrant experience. that's just me coming from my experience both as a child of immigrants and later an immigrant myself. Superman at best is reflective of someone with dual citizenship than the experience of an immigrant. he came h
    to America as a baby, immediately occurred citizenship, then proceeded to live as an "all-American good boy"-type white man in heartland America with god powers. that is not the common immigrant experience or even an allegory for the immigrant experience, especially so in America, and it definitely ain't the type of immigrant story that is culturally relevant in today's day and age. it's hard to relate with the all-powerful god as an immigrant, when is experience is "man, I'm so powerful I should help and protect this country I live in and love" and yours is worrying about the country you "live in and love" kidnapping your kids or starting on your 18th birthday having to take an hour and a half bus commute the next city over to the immigration/border security office bimonthly by yourself for a 5 minute check-in just to not get deported and separated from your family. and look, while not all immigrants have had a rough go of it, it's just hard for me to buy into the "oh he's an immigration story" while simultaneously painting him as this true blue American hero type when you've seen in real-life, on the news, and in my class readings, the history of immigration in America and it just don't match up. I don't think writers should emphasize Superman as an immigrant, in today's climate particularly, it feels like cramming a square peg in a round hole and rings a little disingenuous. if you want an immigrant story, tell it with Bunker, tell it with Vixen, tell it with Katana, David Zavimbe, Kimiyo Hoshi, Kong Kenan, Wonder Woman, hell if you REALLY need a Superman tell it with Hernan Guerra for Gods and Monsters.
    I think Superman's immigrant story is one where he's not aware of his heritage until he is older and then it becomes a major part of himself that he exerts as Superman. At least that's always been my understanding of it.

As far as Superman being wholly accepted...well, it's definitely an idealized take on it but I don't think it's completely divorced from the modern day when current writers do use Superman's alien heritage as a means of distancing himself from the people because he's "not one of them" even when he tries hard to be, and it's part of modern Lex's motivation for why he hates Superman.

Yeah, I don't think he's a good fit for immigration... He's an awesome example of an ADOPTION/ORPHAN story. He's not the kents REAL kid, he's loved anyway... he doesn't know where he's from or what his history is… but they're still a family and he's a 'Kent' in all but blood... he fits great there.

J'onn J'onnz is the Immigrant. He has a whole history and culture that he grew up with... that is now just 'gone'. He's in THIS world now, and he's desperate to fit in... but can't really do it if 'he's himself'. He has to clothe himself in the current culture/dress/skin in order to be accepted, but he never forgets who he really is inside... THAT's the immigration story. Not 'found as a baby and nobody knows he's an alien'...

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Jay Garrick should have a strap on his helmet so it doesn't fly off when he runs. Seriously, what's keeping that thing on?
    Assassinate Putin!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Jay Garrick should have a strap on his helmet so it doesn't fly off when he runs. Seriously, what's keeping that thing on?
    You speak my "wtf?".

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Speed Force. Any weird goofy or illogical Flash Fact will always be answered with Speed Force.....

There are too many Robins.
    Batman is boring.
    Joker is an overrated character.
    Batman Beyond was only good because of nostalgia.
    Too many animated Justice League movies.
    Dark Knight was ironically hilarious.
    Batman sucks.
    Superman is an Interesting character.
    Supergirl is hot.
    Starfire makes my skin crawl.
    Teen Titans Go is great.
    Power Girl is trash.
    All I can think of right now.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Speed Force. Any weird goofy or illogical Flash Fact will always be answered with Speed Force.....
    So much agreement.

Retired

I know this might sound a bit crazy, but go with me here. The more I think about it, the more I think that Harry Lampert was thinking of Hermes (aka Mercury) when he designed the Flash--including the strapless helmet with the wings on it. It's a whacky theory and you might all laugh, but I have a hunch that it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I know this might sound a bit crazy, but go with me here. The more I think about it, the more I think that Harry Lampert was thinking of Hermes (aka Mercury) when he designed the Flash--including the strapless helmet with the wings on it. It's a whacky theory and you might all laugh, but I have a hunch that it's true.
    Here's another wacky theory. People don't care about the artist's intentions if they have an issue with the design.

All-New Member

Post-Crisis Superman was a way better person of his pre-Crisis counterpart, from a moral and human point of view. The latter was such an example of selfishness and dickery that when people remember that period with nostalgia I am convinced that in reality they confuse it with the Christopher Reeves' version.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
    Post-Crisis Superman was a way better person of his pre-Crisis counterpart, from a moral and human point of view. The latter was such an example of selfishness and dickery that when people remember that period with nostalgia I am convinced that in reality they confuse it with the Christopher Reeves' version.
    He's also generally as interesting as watching paint dry.