Page 142 of 334 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142143144145146152192242 ... LastLast
Results 2,116 to 2,130 of 5002

Secret identities are an archaic tradition that DC should long since have abandoned.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I said what I said, we duel at dawn
    Gee whiz. Dawn? I was hoping for something more like post-brunchish.

I don't consider him among the best, and he's really limited in what he's good at. Fortunately, he has a pretty solid idea of what he's good at and generally sticks to it. He does mythic and/or nostalgic, but those he is really good at.

Controversial statement - it's downright weird the percentage of vocal fans who love the more obscure and fringe type characters who can't carry a book over the better selling big 7 JL members.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Controversial statement - it's downright weird the percentage of vocal fans who love the more obscure and fringe type characters who can't carry a book over the better selling big 7 JL members.
    THat is probably due to those fringe and obscure folks tend to have more leeway in what is done with them versus the Big 7.

Take Midnighter-in his DC You Book we saw him take a man home and have a one night stand. You would NEVER see the Big 7 do that.

You can toss Duke in Batman & The Outsiders and everyone is more concerned about how he is written. Put him in Batman (main book) folks were screaming it was the end of the world and batman was ruined.

You also in some case have less editorial interference until the book stats doing too well. See Burnside Batgirl. That is part of the reason they left DC.

Now I got one-Bleedingcool is listed so far 60 race related graphic novels. Based on feedback from Twitter, Facebook and comment sections.

While Marvel has 3 (with Miles, Falcon, Cap Falcon, Luke Cage, Ironheart and shockingly Moon Girl MIA) Truth, Black Panther and Shuri.

Dc has NONE in term of mainstream DC (American Way & American Carnage from Vertigo are listed).

All Milestone books are out of print. What does that say about DC?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    THat is probably due to those fringe and obscure folks tend to have more leeway in what is done with them versus the Big 7.

Take Midnighter-in his DC You Book we saw him take a man home and have a one night stand. You would NEVER see the Big 7 do that.

You can toss Duke in Batman & The Outsiders and everyone is more concerned about how he is written. Put him in Batman (main book) folks were screaming it was the end of the world and batman was ruined.

You also in some case have less editorial interference until the book stats doing too well. See Burnside Batgirl. That is part of the reason they left DC.

Now I got one-Bleedingcool is listed so far 60 race related graphic novels. Based on feedback from Twitter, Facebook and comment sections.

While Marvel has 3 (with Miles, Falcon, Cap Falcon, Luke Cage, Ironheart and shockingly Moon Girl MIA) Truth, Black Panther and Shuri.

Dc has NONE in term of mainstream DC (American Way & American Carnage from Vertigo are listed).

All Milestone books are out of print. What does that say about DC?
    Intentionally or unintentionally, DC has done a poor job with minority characters in their comics and don't use what makes them successful in outside media.

Cyborg got shafted to push Jessica Cruz in JLO. DC also refuses to move him beyond the man vs machine narrative and give him a proper rogue gallery.

Black Lightning being an older hero and a family man is a part of his appeal, without them he feels generic. The current Outsiders run being all about a proxy war between Batman and Ras Al Ghul doesn't help things either.

GL is currently on Justice League, but hasn't done anything of note. He's just filing a roster spot.

Bumblebee is rarely used, Steel(Natasha) was 'tech support the character' with nothing else going for her, Wallace is stuck with Damian, not sure what Soy is trying to do with Duke and Tanya got limboed as soon as she started to become interesting.

Mr. Terrific and Aqualad(Jackson/Kaldur) are doing okay, but the Terrifics has been cancelled/finished.
    Last edited by king81992; 06-13-2020 at 04:42 PM.

Guess I’ll post this here, as it’s just me getting in a quick complaint on something that might not bother many ppl.

Seriously, DC?
    You’re devoting FIVE FRIKKING ISSUES of The Justice League, which only just got a new creative team that haven’t even had a chance to really establish themselves, to a crossover event which I have zero interest in, w. an entirely different creative team to boot?
    C’mon, DC. You aren’t shy about slapping the JL name on every other book; why not just make those five issues some other tie in mini, and leave the main book to its actual creative team, who might, i dunno, have their own plans they don’t want to wait nearly half a year to enact?
    Five frikkkng issues. Bloody hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Guess I’ll post this here, as it’s just me getting in a quick complaint on something that might not bother many ppl.

Seriously, DC?
    You’re devoting FIVE FRIKKING ISSUES of The Justice League, which only just got a new creative team that haven’t even had a chance to really establish themselves, to a crossover event which I have zero interest in, w. an entirely different creative team to boot?
    C’mon, DC. You aren’t shy about slapping the JL name on every other book; why not just make those five issues some other tie in mini, and leave the main book to its actual creative team, who might, i dunno, have their own plans they don’t want to wait nearly half a year to enact?
    Five frikkkng issues. Bloody hell.
    These guys are all filler. No one is going to be getting to set up a long JL run while an event is going on, especially when DC probably is working on getting a new creative team lined up for after Death Metal.

Extraordinary Member

Batman was really the only character that benefited from his reboot post-COIE.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I might swap him out with Wonder Woman. Much as I dislike some things in the Perez run, I can at least roll with the rest of it and actively like some of it. Plus she was in dire straights right before that.

Batman just became an ******* and the Joker became more murder-y.. I'd swap out Batman and Superman with their pre-COIE selves in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 06-16-2020 at 03:31 PM.

Boisterously Confused

I agree with your overall premise, Batman did benefit from the Y1 and Long Halloween stories. That said, he didn't reboot. Jason Todd got rebooted, but Bats - at most - got tweaked. It was more an untold tales type treatment.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I might swap him out with Wonder Woman. Much as I dislike some things in the Perez run, I can at least roll with the rest of it and actively like some of it. Plus she was in dire straights right before that.

Batman just became an ******* and the Joker became more murder-y.
    See, WW is one of the characters I felt benefited the least.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

Batman just became an ******* and the Joker became more murder-y.. I'd swap out Batman and Superman with their pre-COIE selves in a heartbeat.
    When phonogram12 says "benefitted," I'm assuming that to mean health of the franchise, stability of the franchise or both.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

See, WW is one of the characters I felt benefited the least.
    She's kind of 50/50 with me.

I would merge a lot of stuff from Marston and Perez/Rucka and get my perfect Wonder Woman mythos, but yeah none of it has ever gelled on the printed page....

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    When phonogram12 says "benefitted," I'm assuming that to mean health of the franchise, stability of the franchise or both.
    Which yeah, in this case I agree. Few can argue that Batman is the most stable and everyone else is a mess, especially the other two members of the Trinity.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Yep.

10 characters.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

I think it's more about 'completeness'. With a character like Darkhawk... it's actually legitimately POSSIBLE to own every single comic and Toy that has ever been produced for him. I can know his entire backstory, i can know everything that has ever been done with him... and what the new writers got right and what they got terribly terribly wrong...

With Superman? Green Lantern?? It's a LOT harder. Every interpretation is right AND wrong and can have scores of comics that prove it. You'll never own everything, never read everything, never have that kind of 'stake' with the big 7 that you legitimately could with someone smaller and more fringe.

Add in the fact that modern society wants to be special and unique and go against whatever is 'mainstream' and 'basic' or whatever the term is now... and you find people latching on to things that are 'obscure' gems that only those special few who actively seek them out will recognize their awesomeness... while everyone else is fans of the 'boring' stuff.

It's a different mindset. When I was young you picked up a batman book or Superman book and that was your starting point and you just kept going from there. Few reprints, no TPB, If you were lucky you had a comic book show in the mall that you could track down key back issues from the reference numbers... but now? Everyone is afraid to pick up a book without knowing 'the jumping on point'. Everything needs to be about#1's, Relaunch, reboot, new creative teams. They need to feel they aren't missing ANYHTHING... or it's just not worth their time.