Page 152 of 334 FirstFirst ... 52102142148149150151152153154155156162202252 ... LastLast
Results 2,266 to 2,280 of 5002

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Just to remind everyone what Superman COULD do... and to fully appreciate the Superman that we HAVE because that's who he CHOOSES to be. An evil Superman should be an absolutely terrifying concept.
    Just watch The Boys. That will make you infinitely glad we have a Superman and not a Homelander, because that dude is legit scary as f*ck.

Evil Superman *is* a fun trope, but it's over done and rarely done well.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Cyborg's inclusion in the League could and should have been handled better. That said, Cyborg is no less deserving of being on the League than friggin Hawkgirl nor should there be a problem with John and Vic both being on the League.
    Yup, the only real place where DC messed up was erasing his Titans background and waiting so long to give him a solo. They should've looked critically at where the character succeeded (personality and experience) while fixing what needed fixing (design and lack of mythos). The opportunity was there and while I don't think his push has been a complete fluke, when you look at where say Captain Marvel is compared to him it's hard not to say the potential was squandered.

But I do think a lot of this comes down to Marvel feeling they need a token character to begin with. John and Cy can exist on the League together. There's absolutely nothing wrong with there being an experienced black Green Lantern and a highly qualified black ex-Titan leader on the same team. They've both earned their due and in a roster of 7 or 8 they should both be accepted.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Ding ding ding.

His writing style is something you would see in novels and manga, I would also state it's very in right now to be a part of his hatedom and I don't expect it to stop.
    Yes, finally someone who thinks the same. I always tell people that Bendis's writing style is really similar to manga and novels, but they don't believe me.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    considering how his bibliography is exclusively white or occasionally black led, I think Christopher Priest's idea of avoiding writing any book led by heroes of color because he doesn't want to be considered a "black writer" is flawed post-racial nonsense that would've been called out if a white writer said it. his reasoning is that he feels like they are inferior characters for his pay grade, but considering is track record of almost exclusively black or white characters it shows that what he really wants to be is a "white writer" because that's what he thinks a "writer" is. i mean, there are other races and ethnic groups to explore other than black and white if he wants to be a considered a writer who writers everyone, are there not? I'm not saying he can't write what he wants (he wanna write only white characters then, hey, follow your heart and get your money black man, I guess) nor that he won't change his mind one day but I find the logic of his decision is flawed and problematic.
    You know reading this is...
    Disappointing.
    Yet, not too surprising, really. Somewhere between "current era politics" and "fan entitlement" we get hot-takes like the above from time to time.

Well.. Fortunately he's NOT white. . . because a black persons experience and whats led them (well "him" in this case) to a decision isn't EVER really "Problematic" its problematic for "YOU" maybe because he doesn't wanna write what you think he should. Nor does he wanna write what they think he should either, but that's what so good about being real with oneself and financially free. No artist likes to be typecast though so really he's resisting being put it a box, which is pretty damn reasonable overall.

Suggesting that what he wants to be is a "WHITE" writer is insulting to the man whose given so many great stories, but moreso illustrates a kind of "regressive" thinking. That. Thats whats really flawed.
    Someone wanting to be judged not as a "black" writer or a "white" writer but simply as a "WRITER" without the racial undertones and worries is to be admired not admonished.
    He really should be given the opportunity to write whatever book he chooses because of his pedigree, yet just this statement alone speaks VOLUMES why he's said "Enough of that".
    Some white people wanna put him on "black books" cause they're ignorant and viewing this man through a racial lens and it looks like there are some black people looking at him the same damn way.
    When ultimately he only really owes himself anything. Not black people as a whole, and not the ridiculous people he's complained about who feel like "Stick priest on a black book, and we're golden!".
    Wow, I gotta say, as far as controversial opinions go though, seriously well done.
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 09-14-2020 at 09:49 PM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Ding ding ding.

His writing style is something you would see in novels and manga, I would also state it's very in right now to be a part of his hatedom and I don't expect it to stop.
    I've read a decent amount of manga, and I can't say I've seen his style of dialogue pop up in those.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Just watch The Boys. That will make you infinitely glad we have a Superman and not a Homelander, because that dude is legit scary as f*ck.

Evil Superman *is* a fun trope, but it's over done and rarely done well.
    If we must get an evil Superman (much as I may wish otherwise), I wouldn't mind him being like Antony Starr's Homelander. He's scary and awful, but damn if that dude doesn't have some charisma in his performance. If you've ever seen him in the series Banshee, dude has got range. Why is this monster more entertaining than the live action Supermen we've gotten recently?

Also, he played David (of David and Goliath fame) in Xena lol.

Ding ding ding.

I must have been reading the wrong mangas then.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Superboy-Prime is an unironically great character
    Agreed. I think fans just don’t like him because he’s obviously poking fun at whiny fanboy culture, but in his own right he works well. Unlike Earth 2 Superman, who got a happy ending, Superboy Prime has every reason to feel shafted for being placed in that heaven dimension. He’s basically a Homelander type character of a Superman who wasn’t properly socialized and is trying to force things and people against their will. Also having a silver age kryptonian is a great threat in stories.. he’s the ultimate overpowers wannabe

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I've read a decent amount of manga, and I can't say I've seen his style of dialogue pop up in those.

If we must get an evil Superman (much as I may wish otherwise), I wouldn't mind him being like Antony Starr's Homelander. He's scary and awful, but damn if that dude doesn't have some charisma in his performance. If you've ever seen him in the series Banshee, dude has got range. Why is this monster more entertaining than the live-action Supermen we've gotten recently?

Also, he played David (of David and Goliath fame) in Xena lol.
    I can't speak for that poster, but, for me, it's more like how he divided his story into a decompressed storyline is mimicking manga of the nowadays where it's 5-10 chapters manga format. His dialogue is unique even for manga and novel. Still, his decompressed storyline is really easy to follow for manga readers because of the normalcy of reading one tankoubon (TPB/Graphic Novel). Still, though, the difference between manga and his comic is how they decompressed their storyline, where Bendis decompressed it with his dialogue, manga by pointless action that is exaggerated into one. big splash page.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    I can't speak for that poster, but, for me, it's more like how he divided his story into a decompressed storyline is mimicking manga of the nowadays where it's 5-10 chapters manga format. His dialogue is unique even for manga and novel. Still, his decompressed storyline is really easy to follow for manga readers because of the normalcy of reading one tankoubon (TPB/Graphic Novel). Still, though, the difference between manga and his comic is how they decompressed their storyline, where Bendis decompressed it with his dialogue, manga by pointless action that is exaggerated into one. big splash page.
    Death Note is a story that is also heavy on the dialogue, which is their prime means of decompression.

Honestly, and here's a hot take for some people, no doubt, but decompression-styled storytelling isn't a bad thing.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 09-15-2020 at 01:14 PM.

Bendis definitely reads far better in trade format than in single issues in my opinion.

Boisterously Confused

Whatever penciller put a cape on Black Adam is more a villain than the character ever was.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Death Note is a story that is also heavy on the dialogue, which their prime means of decompression.

Honestly, and here's a hot take for some people, no doubt, but decompression-styled storytelling isn't a bad thing.
    Urasawa's mangas are also dialogue-heavy. But, you are right, decompression-styled storytelling isn't a bad thing, because, through decompression, the story became expanded with some nit bit things that are quite interesting.

I don't like "Year One" becoming the modern go-to for whenever there's a retelling of a character's origin these days.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Whatever penciller put a cape on Black Adam is more a villain than the character ever was.
    Related to this but also the hood Billy's gotten in recent years.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I don't like "Year One" becoming the modern go-to for whenever there's a retelling of a character's origin these days.

Related to this but also the hood Billy's gotten in recent years.
    Lmao, the cape and hood on Billy and Adams are the worst things to happen to them.

Boisterously Confused

Lmao, the cape and hood on Billy and Adams are the worst things to happen to them.
    If notThe Worst, certainly Honorable Mentions.