Page 153 of 334 FirstFirst ... 53103143149150151152153154155156157163203253 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,295 of 5002

Urasawa's mangas are also dialogue-heavy. But, you are right, decompression-styled storytelling isn't a bad thing, because, through decompression, the story became expanded with some nit bit things that are quite interesting.
    Decompressed story telling is fine in self contained works, but in monthly books it just keeps things from actually happening.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Decompressed story telling is fine in self contained works, but in monthly books it just keeps things from actually happening.
    You are absolutely on point at that. I never read comic books in issues format, because my country only shipped it in trade format, but I follow manga so I can at least give a thought about it. You are right, about the decompressed story telling in monthly ongoing books are disaster to follow because usually it has nothing happening until the end where we will reread it again and tried to make sense out of it. But, still I still believe that the decompressing sometimes make story more interesting with adding nitbit here and there.

Been awhile since posting, but here goes...

I'd like to see Barry Allen have Golden Glider as his "Catwoman". Iris is okay but kind of overblown...not exactly iconic but a good combo. Besides, Barry tends to be the oblivious chick magnet anyway. I thought the whole deal with Meena was handled sloppily...its as if editorial suddenly decided it had to be Iris or nothing else. One minute they were dating, then the next nothing at all! It's annoying...I get Meena was controlled by Grodd and all, but the story basically left her friendship with Barry at the door with no explanation. Barry must be with Iris and only Iris! trope. Its annoying.

I always hate these "just because" couples that people get infatuated with. I'm not saying Iris isn't important but she shouldn't be the only one. It gets static and repetitive (Just like Bat/Cat). Just because people are comfortable with status quo doesn't mean other options can't exist. Plus its established Flash and Glider are attracted to each other. I did a bit of research and discovered Glider actually tried to kill Iris at one point (different continuity I know).

Could be like a fatal attraction thing.
    Last edited by BooCoo; 09-15-2020 at 10:25 AM.
    Professional KoOk, available nine days a week.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    Lmao, the cape and hood on Billy and Adams are the worst things to happen to them.
    So-so on Adam's cape, but I love Billy's hood as Shazam.

I don't think it serves any real purpose but I'm also a fan of Billy's hood.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I don't hate the hood, even though I don't think it really fits the character, but I miss Billy having a more unique cape.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Death Note is a story that is also heavy on the dialogue, which is their prime means of decompression.

Honestly, and here's a hot take for some people, no doubt, but decompression-styled storytelling isn't a bad thing.

I think it's a psychological manga thing. The narrator needs to show more dialogue for a character's thoughts more in psych thriller mangas than in an action or comedy manga. Romance mangas are heavy on dialogue too.

On that note I wish DC hired more manga writers for their comics. Imagine Hiromu Arakawa on Robin? Takehiko Inoue doing the art for Arrow? It's not like language barrier is an issue when Marvel had chinese writers and artist do Aero. And DC got a french author for the Aqualad graphic novel.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Not a fan of the hood. Hoods are usually used to make a character more mysterious and secretive. Hiding his identity more and sticking to the shadows... Which is the exact OPPOSITE of Billy Batson. He's the guy who stands in the sunlight with giant grin loving life. The hood never worked for him.

As for Adam... I love him without a cape. Just that first impression that he's ALMOST the same as Captain Marvel.... but not 'quite'. Something is missing. Whether it's basic morality or a cape... i love that visual 'theres' something off here'. Like he USED to be a full superhero, but had his cape stripped away from him centuries ago. As it is, he never looks right to me with the cape.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Not a fan of the hood. Hoods are usually used to make a character more mysterious and secretive. Hiding his identity more and sticking to the shadows... Which is the exact OPPOSITE of Billy Batson. He's the guy who stands in the sunlight with giant grin loving life. The hood never worked for him.
    I understand what you're saying but I like the hoodie design.

Would settle for him having the hood but rarely wearing it.

That's basically what the movie did. Billy wore the hood in the first scene or two, and that was it.

I'm torn on the hood. Hoods do tend to help sell a "magic" aesthetic, so it's fitting in that way, but the original cape was pretty great and relatively unique.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    Lmao, the cape and hood on Billy and Adams are the worst things to happen to them.
    If the hooded-cape was more like something Raven or The Spectre have it could work for Black Adam but the shorter hoodie cape on Billy just looks so try-hard to me.

BANNED

I think the hood is there because of the aesthetic to reminds us of Billy during the post-crisis, especially during The Trial of Shazam and that magic events that Geoff Johns did.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    That's basically what the movie did. Billy wore the hood in the first scene or two, and that was it.

I'm torn on the hood. Hoods do tend to help sell a "magic" aesthetic, so it's fitting in that way, but the original cape was pretty great and relatively unique.
    Well, on that level, I'm not really sold on Billy being a wizard either. I like Cap as a magical form, or even the magical creation... but He has so many powers from so many gods that actually having 'cast spells' is overkill to me.

If he barely wears it, what's the point of actually having it?

I think at the time it was meant to indicate how the new Shazam was more "serious" and "edgy," at least in terms of some of the visuals Frank was going for with it. I have no idea if that was actually intentional.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If he barely wears it, what's the point of actually having it?

I think at the time it was meant to indicate how the new Shazam was more "serious" and "edgy," at least in terms of some of the visuals Frank was going for with it. I have no idea if that was actually intentional.
    Boom! Yes!