Page 155 of 334 FirstFirst ... 55105145151152153154155156157158159165205255 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,325 of 4997
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The idea of characters "cluttering up" the DCU is preposterous given how long the comics have been running. There is no such thing as clutter when building a large shared universe and the only time this argument comes up is when people want to get rid of characters they don't like.

And judging a character's popularity by how well they sell in a comic is a mistake given comics in general have been circling the drain for decades.
    Yeah, as if 11 Green Lanterns that the company cannot hope to all keep in regular circulation with meaningful roles isn't cluttered, or as if 19 Robins isn't unnecessarily mind boggling.

Maybe if there weren't 11 Green Lanterns or whatever, fans wouldn't be crying so much about their preferred one not being treated the way they would like, and fighting with fans who prefer other characters that are called by the same title.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agent z
    the idea of characters "cluttering up" the dcu is preposterous given how long the comics have been running. There is no such thing as clutter when building a large shared universe and the only time this argument comes up is when people want to get rid of characters they don't like.

and judging a character's popularity by how well they sell in a comic is a mistake given comics in general have been circling the drain for decades.
    (^--^) hahahaahaha. . . What even is a comic book industry?

If someone isn't SPENDING MONEY on a character in a measurable metric why on earth would they be getting published?
    So people can NOT buy the books and maybe get an action figure or t-shirt? Talk about preposterous.

Its flippin' irrelevant HOW much popularity … "plastic-man" garners if they people who conceptually "Like" them aren't backing that like w/cash.

If you're Deadpool and you've already had a smash-up success in the BOOKS that leads the company to trying to push things OUTSIDE the books, the attempt to push things on the general public because its … I don't even know.
    Didio style personal bias, or Moral obligation or whatever... its just tends to both suck AND fail....Ric grayson.

Moreover...
    Y'know I'd be willing to even give up some of the characters I like to reduce the overall bs of having 5 generation of characters or more while the originals are still alive and kicking.

So no its NOT just "get rid of the ones I don't like" but it certainly requires that the others get proper send offs and not the b.s. rush to say "Omg, Such and such is the greatest/best-est/most beloved, most destined of all the … robins ever *heart* *heart* *heart*.
    Just cringe.

You do touch on something important though. People who think that their favorites...
    (favorite for whatever reason, be it nostalgia OR inclusion) are more important than the narrative direction or character integrity of a story or franchise.
    They really should be just left on ignore.
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 09-20-2020 at 10:49 PM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Astonishing Member

The idea of characters "cluttering up" the DCU is preposterous given how long the comics have been running. There is no such thing as clutter when building a large shared universe and the only time this argument comes up is when people want to get rid of characters they don't like.

And judging a character's popularity by how well they sell in a comic is a mistake given comics in general have been circling the drain for decades.
    That idea would work much better if characters weren’t relegated to certain roles.

Can Batman have more than one love interest? Absolutely!

Can Batman have more than one love interest at the same time? Maybe...

Can Batman have more than one wife at the same time? Instant flame war.

I don't think it's "preposterous" it's just that there is nowhere for a lot of these characters to go since only a few franchises really sell like that. There's only so many JL satellite titles you can put a random number of BCDF-List characters on. You're right it is a large shared universe but there's only so many books at a time. Having 10 Lanterns wouldn't matter if you had somewhere to put them.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I don't think it's "preposterous" it's just that there is nowhere for a lot of these characters to go since only a few franchises really sell like that. There's only so many JL satellite titles you can put a random number of BCDF-List characters on. You're right it is a large shared universe but there's only so many books at a time. Having 10 Lanterns wouldn't matter if you had somewhere to put them.
    I made a post about it but I'd like dc to invest in a property that wasn't just a
    "Justice Something" spin-off ….
    I get it that its brand recognition but jeez... did we REALLY need the shadowpact to be "Justice League... DARK?"

Marvel has more teams with different missions and one of the things I'm glad of is that the Terriffics existed. Even if briefly, because it was at least a team
    that WASN'T: Trinity Clones + a Flash and GL + 2 or more flavor characters.

It would be great if they kept that team around because Dc needs to have more concepts than simply the "Justice Legacy" in some way shape or form in every incarnation and spin-off.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    The same could be said about Superman but here we are.

Not the same at all. She is only half God, she is a skilled warrior, she has many weapons, she has had a invisible jet. All this is why her character wouldn't hurt in the slightest losing a little on her bench press. Superman is just a guy in a cape, he doesn't carry things with him, use anything when out, or have any specific type skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Max View Post
    Yeah, as if 11 Green Lanterns that the company cannot hope to all keep in regular circulation with meaningful roles isn't cluttered, or as if 19 Robins isn't unnecessarily mind boggling.

Maybe if there weren't 11 Green Lanterns or whatever, fans wouldn't be crying so much about their preferred one not being treated the way they would like, and fighting with fans who prefer other characters that are called by the same title.
    The Green Lantern Corps are a police force and there are not 19 Robins.

Fans will look for any reason to fight each other. It doesn't matter what a company does. We only need to look at the past decade alone to see that.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-21-2020 at 04:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    (^--^) hahahaahaha. . . What even is a comic book industry?

If someone isn't SPENDING MONEY on a character in a measurable metric why on earth would they be getting published?
    Maybe consider the reasons why people aren't spending money on a character's comic that also have nothing to do with a supposed lack of popularity.

And any way I was responding to Hi-Max's comment about characters appearing adaptations.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Except even when these characters have been given different roles we still get calls to have them removed because some people are just that petty.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Not the same at all. She is only half God, she is a skilled warrior, she has many weapons, she has had a invisible jet. All this is why her character wouldn't hurt in the slightest losing a little on her bench press. Superman is just a guy in a cape, he doesn't carry things with him, use anything when out, or have any specific type skills.
    Superman has an entire fortress full of advanced alien tech, investigative journalist skills and training in at least two martial arts on top his ridiculous wide array of powers. Diana rarely ever uses more than two weapons at a time, the jet is not always present and she still is almost never depicted as being as strong as Superman even when technically on his level.

An argument can also be made that Superman can be just as badass at golden age levels but no one would want that on a permanent basis so I don't get why Diana keeps getting these calls from fans to power her down when she is already lacking compared to Superman anyway.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-21-2020 at 05:01 AM.

Superman has an entire fortress full of advanced alien tech, investigative journalist skills and training in at least two martial arts on top his ridiculous wide array of powers. Diana rarely ever uses more than two weapons at a time, the jet is not always present and she still is almost never depicted as being as strong as Superman even when technically on his level.

An argument can also be made that Superman can be just as badass at golden age levels but no one would want that on a permanent basis so I don't get why Diana keeps getting these calls from fans to power her down when she is already lacking compared to Superman anyway.

She has God level strength, no weaknesses, magic weapons that can cut a God level being, we are told she is the ultimate fighter.

Not to mention what is the point of the jet, tiara, bracelets, shield, and sword if she is in supermans level of strength, speed, and has flight?

She has God level strength, no weaknesses, magic weapons that can cut a God level being, we are told she is the ultimate fighter.

Not to mention what is the point of the jet, tiara, bracelets, shield, and sword if she is in supermans level of strength, speed, and has flight?
    Why do people keep saying this?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Why do people keep saying this?

Then why do they keep saying she is as invulnerable, strong, and fast as superman if she can be pierced then?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I hold that members of the League has to have something they specifically good at as the edge over the others, this is in relation to the Superman and Wonder Woman discussion
    Batman - detective
    Flash - speed
    Green Lantern - will
    Martian Manhunter - psionic
    Aquaman - anything marine
    Wonder Woman - warriorhood
    Superman - supervisions
    Green Arrow - accuracy
    Black Canary - sonic blast
    Vixen - senses
    Shazam - wisdom

This doesn't mean more than one member can't be bulletproof or have similar abilities, but they need just one ability that's better than the other as the edge.
    So both Superman and Wonder Woman can be equally bulletproof and fly equally fast, but Superman is not a better warrior than Wonder Woman while Wonder Woman can't see through walls.
    The invisible jet can exist but more as backup transportation since members of the League can extend up to the whole DCU. It's good to have 2 planes or more ready. Batplane and Invisible Jet.

The bracelet is the more difficult question, because if she's bulletproof why would she need one, especially when they ricochet, so, for now, I'm leaning towards nonbulletproof Wonder Woman, since traditionally also, the Gods of Olympus didn't bless her with bulletproof.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 09-21-2020 at 06:36 AM.

Then why do they keep saying she is as invulnerable, strong, and fast as superman if she can be pierced then?
    Because aside from invulnerability, that’s how she was conceived as from day one by her creator?
    Last edited by Gaius; 09-21-2020 at 06:50 AM.