Page 157 of 333 FirstFirst ... 57107147153154155156157158159160161167207257 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,355 of 4993

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I don't believe so. Clark looked like a hypocrite if you are referring to the maxwell lord thing.Moreover,i don't believe a character killing or not killing makes a character less good or more good. It depends on the person and the context. I mean, if i couldn't watch a movie with killing i would have lost out on wayyy to many good samurai movies.
    I'm thinking of a few instances where it's happened but yes, I agree with you it depends on the person or context.

Agreed on Maxwell Lord neck snap with Clark and Bruce being dumb and dumber in that instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Except even when these characters have been given different roles we still get calls to have them removed because some people are just that petty.
    Well yeah, hell hath no fury like a fan scorned.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I don't believe so. Clark looked like a hypocrite if you are referring to the maxwell lord thing.Moreover,i don't believe a character killing or not killing makes a character less good or more good. It depends on the person and the context. I mean, if i couldn't watch a movie with killing i would have lost out on wayyy to many good samurai movies.
    I gotta agree with you here, I've never been hung up on Superheros killing. I get why it's supposed to be bad but it's never really bothered me.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    No really. She was at her most popular (relatively speaking due to the times) during the Golden Age when she was under the full control of her creator and his team and he intended her to be Superman's equal or else very close to it. Otherwise, her IP is not used enough in other media to gain consistent popularity. She usually is received very well when the get stuff like Lynda Carter and the movies, but those are rare. Like it or not, there is a gender bias at work. Not because of the gap in strength (I think Superman should be the strongest regardless of sex because it's his thing, but a woman being a close #2 over the rest of the heroes that are majorly comprised of men shouldn't be a big deal), but because of how her IP is handled. There is still the mistaken belief that female heroes can't succeed the way men can; it's gotten a little better due to the success of her first film, but there is still work to be done. The "Superman lite" thing is really only a concern among comic readers, and the comic reading industry is run by mostly white nerds who aren't always equipped to deal with characters or readers from a different perspective. Diana has been screwed most of her existence since she lost Marston, barring occasional exceptions like Perez, Jimenez and Rucka.
    Her IP hasn't been used well because she is Superman lite. Everybody knows who's Wonder Woman, but at the end of the day, everyone knows her as Superman lite.

Yes, there is some gender bias in executives believing that females can't be leads, but that's at most about 10% of it, cause then otherwise we wouldn't have had movies like Laura Croft, Resident Evil, Underworld, Kill Bill, etc. Yes, the male/female ratio for female leads is severely unbalanced, but at the end of the day that's because women are in fact generally non violent.

It's really not a sexist thing as most people make it out to be. At the end of the day, sales is all that big executives are looking at, not some prejudice to keep women out of media, otherwise Underworld & Resident Evil among others female led films wouldn't have had a franchise to begin with.

Captain America strength is WAY too low. No way she beats Superman with that level of power. That's fair for the other Amazons who gain it through training, but not her.
    It's really not. She has the lasso, she has the sword of athena, God killer sword, and a bunch of other magical artifacts.

Make it clear that the Amazons have superhuman reflexes (hence them being able to deflect bullets), and she literally has thousands of ways counter Superman.

And as I said, the best thing they can do is make it as that Diana can remove her bracelets to get even stronger than Superman. Boom. Diana creates her own identity apart from Superman, while also being able to be on par with Superman when she really wants to.

Cause at the end of the day, as much as some fans might like to deny it, street level characters are just much more relatable and easier to write. That's should not be a controversial subject at all like some people make it out to be. Batman finding a way to stop a train is much more suspenseful than Superman stopping a train.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    She has God level strength, no weaknesses, magic weapons that can cut a God level being, we are told she is the ultimate fighter.

Not to mention what is the point of the jet, tiara, bracelets, shield, and sword if she is in supermans level of strength, speed, and has flight?
    The jet hardly gets used and she is not the only super powered character who uses weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Marik Swift View Post
    Her IP hasn't been used well because she is Superman lite. Everybody knows who's Wonder Woman, but at the end of the day, everyone knows her as Superman lite.

Yes, there is some gender bias in executives believing that females can't be leads, but that's at most about 10% of it, cause then otherwise we wouldn't have had movies like Laura Croft, Resident Evil, Underworld, Kill Bill, etc. Yes, the male/female ratio for female leads is severely unbalanced, but at the end of the day that's because women are in fact generally non violent.

It's really not a sexist thing as most people make it out to be. At the end of the day, sales is all that big executives are looking at, not some prejudice to keep women out of media, otherwise Underworld & Resident Evil among others female led films wouldn't have had a franchise to begin with.

It's really not. She has the lasso, she has the sword of athena, God killer sword, and a bunch of other magical artifacts.

Make it clear that the Amazons have superhuman reflexes (hence them being able to deflect bullets), and she literally has thousands of ways counter Superman.

And as I said, the best thing they can do is make it as that Diana can remove her bracelets to get even stronger than Superman. Boom. Diana creates her own identity apart from Superman, while also being able to be on par with Superman when she really wants to.

Cause at the end of the day, as much as some fans might like to deny it, street level characters are just much more relatable and easier to write. That's should not be a controversial subject at all like some people make it out to be. Batman finding a way to stop a train is much more suspenseful than Superman stopping a train.
    If that is the case, why is this argument being made for Diana and not Clark?

Both Diana and Carol Danvers managed to get a successful movie without being depowered to street level. Clearly this is not a requirement to make a character popular. If it were, the Catwoman and Elektra movies would have been smash hits instead of convenient scape goats used to excuse not making female superhero movies for years.

If anything Diana is less Superman lite now than she was in the Golden Age when she had a secret identity that was a bespectacled, overlooked milquetoast like Clark and had a two person love triangle with Steve Trevor. If being a female Superman with a sword is hindering her, making her female Spider-Man with a lasso won't automatically improve her station. As if there aren't numerous street level characters that also fail to catch an audience. The only thing a powered up Diana has in common with Clark is being a flying brick which he doesn't have a patent on.

Also, they already did depower Diana once in the 60s. It wasn't well received back then and even the writer of that story arc looked back on it with embarrassment.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-21-2020 at 01:41 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Look, what i said had zero to do with power levels. Powerlevels are malleable, relative things and on top of that every action based hero/heroine suffers from escalation problem unless you are one punch man. My suggestion has more to do with presentation.Making her spiderman is'nt the objective. It's to make her movements dynamic. As said, gliding on air currents or using lasso to swing on lighting is very creative. When has spiderman ever swung on literal lightning. Moreover, tarzan was the original one to swing on things. Superman used to run on electric cables and cling on wall. The guys power explanation was literally based on bugs and insects. So,concepts will always have some co-relations and similarities.
    The jet hardly gets used and she is not the only super powered character who uses weapons.
    I don't believe there are many superhero characters that use a crown and rope as weapons. Maybe in old westerns.The actual weapon used matters.The guy who swings hammer is thor, not captain america.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-21-2020 at 02:24 PM.

Ultimate Member

Maybe consider the reasons why people aren't spending money on a character's comic that also have nothing to do with a supposed lack of popularity.

And any way I was responding to Hi-Max's comment about characters appearing adaptations.
    Or they are spending the money but it's not being measured.

You can't measure Ebay, Amazon market, Kickstarter or Half Price books sales.
    You can't measure folks finding ways to be CHEAP.

Let say you want the digital and your friend wants the printed issue of say Miles Morales. You alternate each month buying it.

If I sit back and wait I can go to Half Price Books and get Batman family Rebirth's run for 50-90% off the cover price.
    Now you can't do this with say Moon Girl, Wonder Twins and a few others but books like Batman-you can.
    I have seen too many new books on Wednesday at Half Price by the weekend.
    Don't get me started on Movie Trading Post. Whoever comic book stores they get those books from has no business being a store.

Having 10 Lanterns wouldn't matter if you had somewhere to put them.
    There are folks MAD that a certain Lantern is not in Justice League and they get mad about it EVERYTIME he is off the team mainly when that OTHER guy is there.

Mind you that certain Lantern has since 2011 13 trades starring HIM alone. No GLC no costars. HIM. The OTHER guy has ZERO. ZERO. He has been DEN MOTHER for GLC.

That is being PETTY to the highest of all degrees. That is X-Men/Inhuman level pettiness.

You can't cry about ANYTHING. 60+ YEARS of stuff about your favorite. That other one couldn't even get a solo variant cover for the anniversary. His one series will NEVER see trade or digital.

But we gotta see PETTINESS.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marik Swift View Post
    Who is actually saying this and where? You're saying this as if it's a fact, when it isn't.
    Because when her IP is actually used well, like the movie, people turn up and don't draw the comparison. Even when the movie used glasses wearing Diana Prince, an ID that is a holdover from an attempt to make her more like him.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 09-21-2020 at 02:05 PM.

None of DC's fictional American cities have any distinct identity. They're better off just using real cities.
    And where the hell are they? Is Metropolis and Gotham in Illinois, New York State, New Jersey, or California?

Also, they already did depower Diana once in the 60s. It wasn't well received back then and even the writer of that story arc looked back on it with embarrassment.
    That was the late Denny O'Neil.

And she can be that with golden age superman levels of power. She doesnt need to be a God level being to be a badass
    But the Amazon's as originally conceived WERE God level. They could laugh at Gods from all pantheons. And Diana literally was conceived as wielding a Dominant Force and was the ONLY hero with that concept from jump.

In strength and speed where she relates to other heroes is present in her design. When you review the processing of the patent for her this becomes even clearer.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    And where the hell are they? Is Metropolis and Gotham in Illinois, New York State, New Jersey, or California?
    Gotham's island setting is inspired by Manhattan but set in New Jersey
    Metropolis last I heard was set in Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    I think the real answer for some can be found in their names. SuperMAN. Wonder WOMAN. Notice which one is being called for to made less powerful in response to the notion that they might be roughly equal in power levels, and which one isn't.
    You are quite right. The prediction of this phenomenon is also well documented. The publisher called out that such a thing would happen--resent and resistance among many boys--and did so decades ago. In many ways, her design is still very much ahead of its time still, 75 years later.

She has God level strength, no weaknesses, magic weapons that can cut a God level being, we are told she is the ultimate fighter.

Not to mention what is the point of the jet, tiara, bracelets, shield, and sword if she is in supermans level of strength, speed, and has flight?
    This is a peculiar train of thought. Why would the possession of superhuman speed, strength, OR flight imply bulletproofness?