Page 167 of 332 FirstFirst ... 67117157163164165166167168169170171177217267 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,505 of 4968

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    While Waid's run on The Flash is one of my favorites and I'm surprisingly enjoying Bendis' run on Superman, Marvel does the "superhero without a secret identity" thing far better than DC.
    How is it better?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Johns has a very interesting trajectory from Infinite Crisis which argued against the idea of a better and “kinder” past, to Doomsday Clock which is essentially the opposite. I don’t think Johns actually has “Silver Age” nostalgia though, he grew up reading Bronze Age/early Post Crisis stuff. He’s got more affection for Wolfman’s NTT than Binder’s Superman imo.
    There's still Didio to consider. Infinite Crisis and New 52... how much of it was Johns and Didio.
    Then there's Johns' character development too. He had a different way of writing Diana at the start of New 52, more battle-hungry, focusing on the JL who kills like Infinite Crisis, but he said after seeing Fabok's art, he was inspired to write her better, more in line to what fans think of her

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Are pa and ma kent much of characters? Why are they allowed to exist in present but krypto not? Krypto atleast can have adventures with superman like beating atlas and can be used to attract younger readers. What does ma and pa kent do? They even had a krypto in young justice in the form of wolf and in teen titans.I would take krypto over ma and pa any day of the week.Superboy and his superdog is very inbuilt thing if you ask me. I would want jon to have a pet. It's just how it works.
    Original bizzaro used a reality ray like funnyface. Didn't he? I remember reading about the bizzaro family.
    Ma and Pa Kent provide a resting place, a reminder of what he's supposed to do when in doubt. Yeah, Lois can do that, but she's also stubborn and carry stressful energy as a working mom. Then with Jon working alongside his dad, they're all stressed. Ma and Pa is as restful from the sunset view of the farm.

Of course this means they won't appear often, but it's just like real life. You live in a different city with your own family, you visit your ma and pa at the weekends, or annually.

Wait what happened to Krypto?
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-19-2020 at 10:11 PM.

Kid Flash should be a member of the Justice League as Kid Flash instead of only being relegated to Young Justice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I haven't read enough Johns to feel fully informed about his preferences. However, I will say that the era in which one grew up is not necessarily a good measure one's favorite era. I began reading at the Silver/Bronze transition, but - with some specific case exceptions - I'd probably say I'm more of a Golden Age DC fan than a Bronze fan.
    That’s very true. Some of the first stuff I read was the early Post Crisis stuff, but I’ve certainly soured on that era lol. But I feel pretty confident in saying that Johns isn’t a hardcore fanboy of the Silver Age like some think. His style of writing and fandom to me leans more towards that Bronze Age/Early Post-Crisis era of DC. The time when DC was getting darker and more serious but there was still some whimsical and lighter elements to it all.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That’s very true. Some of the first stuff I read was the early Post Crisis stuff, but I’ve certainly soured on that era lol. But I feel pretty confident in saying that Johns isn’t a hardcore fanboy of the Silver Age like some think. His style of writing and fandom to me leans more towards that Bronze Age/Early Post-Crisis era of DC. The time when DC was getting darker and more serious but there was still some whimsical and lighter elements to it all.
    I think most of it comes from reinstating Hal as the lead GL, but people forget Hal existed all throughout the Bronze age and well into the 90s before he got Parallax'd. Which makes him no different then pretty much Marvel's entire Silver/Bronze age catalogue of characters who made it into the 90s and beyond and aren't tied to one era. Since the internet speaks in hyperbole and Kyle was the 90s guy, we get "Silver Age Hal Jordan" as an oversimplification.

Plus Johns stated one of his favorite superheroes is Kon-El Superboy, who is a 90s character. It's not just pure blind Silver Age devotion on his part.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Kid Flash should be a member of the Justice League as Kid Flash instead of only being relegated to Young Justice.
    Which Kid Flash?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Wait what happened to Krypto?
    Streaky the super cat killed Krypto, they got in a fight to prove "cats rule and dogs drool."
    Besides it's a known scientific fact that cats are cuter, cooler, sneaky, mysterious, curious, and way more funnier than dogs are.

Honestly I don't know but I would love to see Streaky return before Krypto shows up again.
    Last edited by Cyberstrike; 10-20-2020 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Krypto may be a fun/gag character, but that's the genre. if we are determining that the genre has no place for a flying dog in a cape, I think we need to get over ourselves a bit. After all, Krypto was prominently featured in Alan Moore's Superman stories, and those hold up much better than the Byrne comics. Meanwhile, Kara's return in the comics wasn't handled well, but she's the main version they use in other media adaptations because she's the easiest to adapt, including in her own show. I think this proves her classic setup is a stronger idea with a cleaner tie to Superman than subsequent ideas. This kind of proves that there wasn't anything wrong with the mythos to the point where it needed to be chucked, just that they needed better writing and at worst just put a lot of that stuff on the back burner for a bit instead of pretending none of it ever existed, which seems like using a sledgehammer to swat flies.

I would say that Moore's best use of Krypto was not in any Superman story he wrote it was in Supreme: The Story of the Year, Supreme: The Return, and Supreme: Judgement Day (maybe not the last one) where he actually made Radar, the Hound Supreme work as a character and actually made the concept of a super pet actually interesting idea/concept beyond being just a running gag/one joke character.

There is an old saying: "I can't miss you if you never go away." and sometimes I feel that is the case with a lot of support characters (like Supergirl, Superwoman, Batwoman, Batgirl, The Legion of Super-Heroes,The Outsiders, Krypto, Streaky, Ace, and so on) should disappear sometimes for a year or two (four years max in some cases like the Joker before O'Neill and Adams brought him back) so that fans can miss them and DC, Marvel, or whoever can bring them back in an unexpected time and show how they're important to Superman, Batman, or whoever the character is and why they matter as their own characters.
    Last edited by Cyberstrike; 10-20-2020 at 07:18 AM.

I don't really care for the superpets. Hypocritical of me, I guess, but I'm more okay with Kryptonians coincidentally looking like humans than Kryptonians looking like humans and having animals that look like dogs. Though that doesn't apply to Streaky. Don't know Beppo's story. Anyway, they don't contribute a lot that I'd like to read. But they could have kid-appeal, I admit that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    I would say that Moore's best use of Krypto was not in any Superman story he wrote it was in Supreme: The Story of the Year, Supreme: The Return, and Supreme: Judgement Day (maybe not the last one) where he actually made Radar, the Hound Supreme work as a character and actually made the concept of a super pet actually interesting idea/concept beyond being just a running gag/one joke character.

There is an old saying: "I can't miss you if you never go away." and sometimes I feel that is the case with a lot of support characters (like Supergirl, Superwoman, Batwoman, Batgirl, The Legion of Super-Heroes,The Outsiders, Krypto, Streaky, Ace, and so on) should disappear sometimes for a year or two (four years max in some cases like the Joker before O'Neill and Adams brought him back) so that fans can miss them and DC, Marvel, or whoever can bring them back in an unexpected time and show how they're important to Superman, Batman, or whoever the character is and why they matter as their own characters.
    I think this would be a good approach, and basically what they should have done around the time of Crisis. Supergirl was killed off and Krypto could have been sidelined a bit until writers wanted to use them again (if ever). Wiping them from continuity is just a needless and kind of mean spirited approach, and short sighted. Future writers shouldn't have a difficult time bringing this stuff back if they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I don't really care for the superpets. Hypocritical of me, I guess, but I'm more okay with Kryptonians coincidentally looking like humans than Kryptonians looking like humans and having animals that look like dogs. Though that doesn't apply to Streaky. Don't know Beppo's story. Anyway, they don't contribute a lot that I'd like to read. But they could have kid-appeal, I admit that.
    It's basically just Krypto. I don't believe Streaky or Beppo have Kryptonian origins and Comet is, well...just this whole crazy thing.

Krypto is the only one that really matters though, I'd be fine with ditching the rest. Kid appeal is important for these characters, and while he isn't a complex character...he is also just a dog lol. How complicated do we really expect him to be, and is that really reason enough to not have him?

Astonishing Member

If I had to choose between the Kents still being alive and the Legion of Super Pets, I'd pick the Super Pets every time. At least they're fun.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 10-20-2020 at 11:28 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    Streaky the super cat killed Krypto, they got in a fight to prove "cats rule and dogs drool."
    Besides it's a known scientific fact that cats are cuter, cooler, sneaky, mysterious, curious, and way more funnier than dogs are.

Honestly I don't know but I would love to see Streaky return before Krypto shows up again.
    The frick? When? Death Metal? I don't think The Super Pet issue's coming out yet... right?

Oh you're joking

I actually have to read that twice thanks to Batman Who Laughs planning to infect all the Super Pets

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Krypto may be a fun/gag character, but that's the genre. if we are determining that the genre has no place for a flying dog in a cape, I think we need to get over ourselves a bit.
    I'm not talking to anyone who decide that a dog with a cape has no place in the genre
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-20-2020 at 11:26 AM.

If I had to choose between the Kents still being alive and the Legion of Super Pets, I'd pick the Super Pets every time. At least they're fun.
    honestly? 100% agreed
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Yep.

The Kents are nice and all, but beyond some nice "family" scenes here and there, I don't think keeping them alive brings much to the table. And the reasoning behind not keeping them dead (Clark needs them around to stay human, Clark would be just like Batman if they were dead, etc) is always faulty.

Astonishing Member

In the same vein, I'd choose the Holiday Girls and the I-Ching over the Kapatelis' any day. Seriously, the Kapatelis' are dry as toast.

Seriously, I don't see what people have against a colorful supporting cast.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 10-20-2020 at 11:33 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.