Page 17 of 334 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Strikes me, the most level-headed Leaguers (Supes, J'onn, WW, et al.) would say, "We all run the risk, even when others say that we should not. He has too, and pulled his weight, and that is what matters."

The bigger problem is that with Cap, Supes, WW, MM, GL, and Flash all on board, you've got to throw nothing less than Darkseid at them every other month just to keep it interesting. Or write a deeply clever story. Some writers can do it, but not many.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Strikes me, the most level-headed Leaguers (Supes, J'onn, WW, et al.) would say, "We all run the risk, even when others say that we should not. He has too, and pulled his weight, and that is what matters."

The bigger problem is that with Cap, Supes, WW, MM, GL, and Flash all on board, you've got to throw nothing less than Darkseid at them every other month just to keep it interesting. Or write a deeply clever story. Some writers can do it, but not many.
    I now want an episode that’s dedicated to the most powerful members just playing checkers and watching the reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    This is the scene that solidified my opinion. The fact that the league is patronizing, distrustful, and talking down to him despite the fact that he JUST GAVE UP HIS SECRET TO SAVE THE WORLD made me want him to just quit. As long as scenes like this happen, I don’t want kid Billy on the league.
    He also decieved them for years so why should they be so trusting of him?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Eh, he's lying about age not plans to possibly kill the League or a mind wipe.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

And who else gave their secret identity upon joining?

Why should any of them trust any of each other? They all have secret identities and civilian lives. When Cap says he needs to trade his monitor duty next Tuesday because of personal conflicts... the fact that it's a school play shouldn't factor into it at all. The amount of state secrets and industrial things that Batman and Aquaman would be keeping secret every day??

Unless he specifically says, No I'm not a school age child then it's not deception. It's just something that never comes up in conversation.

And frankly an origin/civilian stuff like that... never WOULD come up in conversation. In the grand scheme of things... I was an orphan who a wizard chose to grant me superpowers to defend the world against Evil... should be plenty of information.

Unless they're all sitting around the table trying to compare how old they were when they saved their first life... I can't think of a way they would see that as a betrayal.

I loved Captain Marvel’s time with the JL (the version of the team before it became the JLI) Billy eventually leaving because of Gardner’s “potty mouth” was hilarious!

Retired

I completely forgot about Captain Marvel's time with the Justice League (not International). Yeah, that was some good comic relief. But I still don't think he belongs in the League. Just like I don't think Spider-Man or the Hulk belong in the Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Eh, he's lying about age not plans to possibly kill the League or a mind wipe.
    It's still a case of deception.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    And who else gave their secret identity upon joining?
    No one else lied about their age. It's obvious he didn't do that because he suspected they wouldn't let him join because he was a child. And they let him stay anyway.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-12-2018 at 10:07 PM.

It's still a case of deception.
    And? He never said his age, why would he? If you're a little kid are you going to say no to joining the JL?
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    And? He never said his age, why would he? If you're a little kid are you going to say no to joining the JL?
    Likely because he suspected they wouldn't let him join them. Ironically, they let him stay anyway. Him wanting to join the League and them wanting him to join are not the same thing. They can kick him out if they choose.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Why should any of them trust any of each other? They all have secret identities and civilian lives. When Cap says he needs to trade his monitor duty next Tuesday because of personal conflicts... the fact that it's a school play shouldn't factor into it at all. The amount of state secrets and industrial things that Batman and Aquaman would be keeping secret every day??
    Yeah, that’s totally the same thing as lying about your age.

Unless he specifically says, No I'm not a school age child then it's not deception. It's just something that never comes up in conversation.
    It never came up in conversation because they had no reason to suspect he wasn’t an adult as he appeared to be.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-12-2018 at 10:11 PM.

Likely because he suspected they wouldn't let him join them. Ironically, they let him stay anyway. Him wanting to join the League and them wanting him to join are not the same thing. They can kick him out if they choose.
    And considering they decided not to vote him out of the League, it seems learning about his age did not outweigh the benefits to him as a Justice League member.

Yeah, that’s totally the same thing as lying about your age..
    yeah... it's actually worse.

Just think about all the times Poison Ivy and Ra's has gone after Wayne Enterprises for their environmentally questionable policies... or just imagine how many Atlantean war machines are ready to attack the surface with the push of a button...

Heck, they let batman back in the league after he kept secret information on all the league and designed weapons against them... and then let that information get stolen by multiple enemies!

I really don't see how 'I'm younger than I look' is even comparable. Super heroes are by nature secretive bunch. 'You kept a secret from me' is hardly reason to get all whiny about it.

Power levels, weaknesses, mental issues that can jeopardize the team in the field... certainly. However 'age'?? Why is that important?

It never came up in conversation because they had no reason to suspect he wasn’t an adult as he appeared to be.
    And he was judged by his abilities and accomplishments and not appearance... I'm not seeing a problem with that.

yeah... it's actually worse.

Just think about all the times Poison Ivy and Ra's has gone after Wayne Enterprises for their environmentally questionable policies...
    Ra’s and Ivy aren’t the most rational of individuals and half the time don’t even care about the environment. In many ways, they’ve hurt it even more.

or just imagine how many Atlantean war machines are ready to attack the surface with the push of a button...
    I think you’re confusing Aquaman with Namor.

Heck, they let batman back in the league after he kept secret information on all the league and designed weapons against them... and then let that information get stolen by multiple enemies!
    That was dumb but has nothing to do with YJ Batman.

I really don't see how 'I'm younger than I look' is even comparable. Super heroes are by nature secretive bunch. 'You kept a secret from me' is hardly reason to get all whiny about it.
    By this logic, what you posted about Batman above was perfectly fine and in no way wrong.

Power levels, weaknesses, mental issues that can jeopardize the team in the field... certainly. However 'age'?? Why is that important?
    Because with age comes experience and an assessment of what you can or cannot handle. Even in YJ, the League limits what the sidekicks are allowed to do.

And he was judged by his abilities and accomplishments and not appearance... I'm not seeing a problem with that.
    What does this have to do with what I said?

Ra’s and Ivy aren’t the most rational of individuals and half the time don’t even care about the environment. In many ways, they’ve hurt it even more.

I think you’re confusing Aquaman with Namor.
    Oh Namor's absolutely worse... but Arthur hasn't done anything to disable the offenses... or warn the league and the surface world about Atlantis' inevitable attack whenever he undoubtedly loses the throne to Ocean Master or whoever.

By this logic, what you posted about Batman above was perfectly fine and in no way wrong.
    I think there's a difference between having secrets... and actively jeopardizing your allies. Tower of Babel is sooooo much worse than 'I didn't know every facet of your origin and homelife…

Because with age comes experience and an assessment of what you can or cannot handle. Even in YJ, the League limits what the sidekicks are allowed to do.

What does this have to do with what I said?
    Except arguably in Billy's case. Experience and Wisdom are PART of his powers. Captain Marvel tends to have a child-like morality... but he's hardly ever shown to be inexperienced or a screw up. Wisdom of Solomon is a tricky power to balance well... but it's still on his list. When he's in his powered form He's in no way incompetent or in 'training'. He's CAPTAIN MARVEL in all his glory. Second only to Superman... and that's only on a bad day.

Which all in all is tricky when they start talking about what counts as 'experience'. I loved in the YJ clip when they were comparing the ages of the others. Superboy is only 'one.' Robin's been trained since he was 9. Miss Martian is in her 40's. How long has Red Tornado been active? Heck, how long has Wonder Woman been off her perfect island? Should someone that naïve in the way of the world be on the team?

In the Power of Shazam book from the 90's, Billy got his powers at 10 and his solo started 'four years later'... He was only 14, but he was no rookie at that point. Heck the new 52 tried to cram all origins into a 5 year window...

Its a weird world that they live in, but there are so many weird corner cases... getting upset by this is just dumb.