Page 172 of 332 FirstFirst ... 72122162168169170171172173174175176182222272 ... LastLast
Results 2,566 to 2,580 of 4968

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Back then it was fresh and new with 'somewhat' of an outlet for fans to express displeasure... that just didn't exist when Jason Todd or Barry Allen were replaced. But now that's its commonplace, HEAT isn't THAT different then eveyr other message board out there.
    I dunno, I'd say they were a good deal worse than the modern average. They got money together to run a "bring back Hal! Kill Rayner!" full-page ad in Wizard magazine as I recall, and I spent a lot of time on the early DC message boards avoiding the GL conversations because you just could not have a discussion about any aspect of the franchise without them jumping in and going crazy.

To put it into perspective for those who weren't there....think back to earlier this year when the RNC officially backed trump as their 2020 candidate. Remember the crazy woman (I think she's dating one of trump's kids) who was screaming for her entire speech, like she didn't know how microphones work? HEAT made that chick seem sane, mellow, and reasonable.

The Hal v John v Guy debates were a thing long before Kyle came along, far as I know, but Emerald Twilight seems to be when things really went off the rails.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Oh god, does anyone else remember HEAT?

Hal's Emerald Advancement Team (I can't believe this website is still up) was this kind of aggressively Anti-Kyle... Community? Fansite? Faction? Something like that.

I think I remember hearing that they sent some DC writers and editors death threats, which is more than a little messed up! I was pretty young at the time I was first starting to go online, and they were already on their last gasp by the time I became aware of them I think, but they always kind of symbolize the hyper-intense '90s and early '00s Green Lantern fandom infighting to me, haha!

Sure there's still infighting now, but frankly I can't help but to think in some ways we're still riding the long distant shockwaves of the old Hal vs Kyle wars.

Anyway, I like John too. My fiancee got her copy of Green Lantern Mosaic # 1 signed by Phil LaMarr, and it was awesome.
    HEAT was way before my time, but when I first heard about them, it reminded my of the "Legends" group thing from Star Wars fandom, down to spending lots of money to advertise their cause and get a company that isn't interested to notice them and cave into their demands. Things never change.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I dunno, I'd say they were a good deal worse than the modern average. They got money together to run a "bring back Hal! Kill Rayner!" full-page ad in Wizard magazine as I recall, and I spent a lot of time on the early DC message boards avoiding the GL conversations because you just could not have a discussion about any aspect of the franchise without them jumping in and going crazy.

To put it into perspective for those who weren't there....think back to earlier this year when the RNC officially backed trump as their 2020 candidate. Remember the crazy woman (I think she's dating one of trump's kids) who was screaming for her entire speech, like she didn't know how microphones work? HEAT made that chick seem sane, mellow, and reasonable.

The Hal v John v Guy debates were a thing long before Kyle came along, far as I know, but Emerald Twilight seems to be when things really went off the rails.
    As the resident Guy fan, I feel like that debate was a lot like Hal/John being the two major US parties and Guy being some third party that nobody expects to win but shows up just to raise an issue that gets buried under mudslinging from the two big groups.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    As the resident Guy fan, I feel like that debate was a lot like Hal/John being the two major US parties and Guy being some third party that nobody expects to win but shows up just to raise an issue that gets buried under mudslinging from the two big groups.
    And then Guy wins because he’s seen as “less toxic” than the other two.

BANNED

Coincidentally, I inherited a batch of old Wizard magazine from my big brother, and one of them has the HEAT ad in it. It didn't say anything about killing Kyle. It has a Brian Bolland picture of Hal and the Corps in green monochromatic colors, and it was taken from that 1980s Tales of the Green Lantern Corps series where Hal and the Corps fight Krona and Hal meets Arisia for the first time. It just promoted returning Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps. Maybe there was some other ad that I'm not aware of, but the HEAT ad I know I've seen wasn't anything outrageous, and even without knowing any of the history behind it, I thought it was pretty neat to see.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    And then Guy wins because he’s seen as “less toxic” than the other two.
    That doesn't fit with the metaphor regarding US politics. :P

BANNED

Here's the ad right here:

To tell you the truth, at the time, I thought the image was so cool that I tore the page out the magazine and put it as the cover to an old school folder of mine.

Guess my controversial GL opinion is I liked Hal Jordan's grey temples.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I didn't notice just how many characters were aged down over the years. It makes me appreciate them more as well.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Hal's grey temples only worked when Pat Broderick was drawing them. Everyone else seemed to mess them and up and make them look ugly. I can see why they removed them even though it was lame to imply that him aging was the fault of the yellow space mantis.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Hal's grey temples only worked when Pat Broderick was drawing them. Everyone else seemed to mess them and up and make them look ugly. I can see why they removed them even though it was lame to imply that him aging was the fault of the yellow space mantis.
    For me the problem was out-of-sync aging. No one else looked that much older. Indeed, using Dick Grayson's age as a guideline, it had only been about 6 years since Hal got the ring. Though, admittedly some get grey hair before others.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Yeah, Broderick’s Hal is who i think of when I think of the image. Most others made it look garish or that entire lower half of his hair has gone grey.

I actually really liked Batman: Pennyworth R.I.P
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Falz View Post
    Coincidentally, I inherited a batch of old Wizard magazine from my big brother, and one of them has the HEAT ad in it. It didn't say anything about killing Kyle.
    Oh, I was just being hyperbolic about that part.

It was a pretty ad, though. I have nothing good to say about HEAT at all, they were a pack of bitter lunatics who gave us all a bad name, but the ad was damn nice.

(I'm sure *some* people in HEAT, who merely wanted Hal back, were fine folk, but the group as a whole was not)

I liked them too. Thought it made him look experienced and seasoned without looking *old.*
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Me too! He looked very distinguished!!