Page 178 of 333 FirstFirst ... 78128168174175176177178179180181182188228278 ... LastLast
Results 2,656 to 2,670 of 4987

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    All sad backstories should be met with a complete and total "nobody cares". You have to stop giving people sympathy so the writers stop using it as a crutch to make you care about characters they're too incompetent to properly develop. I miss the days when people went through stuff and had to learn how to deal with it but the Bat writers have popularized whining about your problems and walking around with a chip on your shoulder.
    I no longer believe the villains need to be sympathetic. There are plenty of terrible people out there who are terrible for other reasons than “daddy never loved me”.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I no longer believe the villains need to be sympathetic. There are plenty of terrible people out there who are terrible for other reasons than “daddy never loved me”.
    I've never been into villains. I mean, there are a few I enjoy either for humor or because I love them being bad, but I'm hero person. A lot of people love "sympathetic villains" but I am not one. I remember on Burn Notice, some people complained about most of the villains, but I agreed with the hero: "Spend time with corrupt homicidal third world political figures and you hear a lot of self pity. What kind of man throws his political enemies in prison and tortures them to death? Usually it’s a guy who feels so sorry for himself, he feels justified doing anything. Killers, by and large, are whining losers. But that doesn’t make them any less dangerous.”

It's definitely a mentality I see among some villains that people really wanted treated nicely and say would reform if you did.

Not really related, but I also liked this one: "Most people have a hard time letting go of their past. The same guy who will burn a village to the ground without a thought, often won't throw away an old necktie because it reminds him of his high school graduation. If you know what you're doing, you can hang him with that necktie."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I've never been into villains. I mean, there are a few I enjoy either for humor or because I love them being bad, but I'm hero person. A lot of people love "sympathetic villains" but I am not one. I remember on Burn Notice, some people complained about most of the villains, but I agreed with the hero: "Spend time with corrupt homicidal third world political figures and you hear a lot of self pity. What kind of man throws his political enemies in prison and tortures them to death? Usually it’s a guy who feels so sorry for himself, he feels justified doing anything. Killers, by and large, are whining losers. But that doesn’t make them any less dangerous.”

It's definitely a mentality I see among some villains that people really wanted treated nicely and say would reform if you did.

Not really related, but I also liked this one: "Most people have a hard time letting go of their past. The same guy who will burn a village to the ground without a thought, often won't throw away an old necktie because it reminds him of his high school graduation. If you know what you're doing, you can hang him with that necktie."
    I'd be fine with it if the Heel-Face Turns actually stuck, but people specifically like sympathetic villains, sadly.

I'm fine with villains with sympathetic motivations and aren't like pure evil all the time (but I'm fine with pure evil too), just don't lose sight of the fact that they're, well, evil or are doing bad things or try to pretend like they're cool now despite the numerous crimes they committed (looking at you Harley).
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    See I disagree there too. Sinestro was all about order and proving that he was the bestest of the best GL's.... and giving unlimited power to every monster in the universe was the OPPOSITE of what woul dhave made sense for him. Add in that Sinestro should be the scariest thing the GL's know... but making it fear based forced them to come up with some really creepy things that make sinestro seem 'lame'.

Zamarons were their own thing... but now just another ring corp... EVERYONE was a ring corp.... it made the universe SMALLER than it did when people like Evil Star and his blaster were legitimate threats.
    If it was an army he felt he could control and would be willing to go to the lengths he needs to...and honestly Sinestro was still the most intimidating member of his Corps. to me.

The Corps. still felt very selective and specific for what they were rather than everyone and everything being a Corps. I mean, the Reds were entirely different from the Blues, who were different from the Indigo's, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Double yes. Triple, if we can throw Dr. Fate on that bonfire.
    Make it a dumpster fire and you’ve got yourself a deal. Kent Nelson is fantastic as Dr. Fate, but it’s not really him he’s the host for Nabu. Then why not just have it be Nabu?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Make it a dumpster fire and you’ve got yourself a deal. Kent Nelson is fantastic as Dr. Fate, but it’s not really him he’s the host for Nabu. Then why not just have it be Nabu?
    You need a human to temper and channel Nabu.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Agree 100% The emotional spectrum was just a creative sinkhole for the franchise. Taking 'the most powerful weapon in the universe' and giving it to EVERYONE was tedious. All those new characters could have had their own things but... all rings all the time was ughhhh...

See I disagree there too. Sinestro was all about order and proving that he was the bestest of the best GL's.... and giving unlimited power to every monster in the universe was the OPPOSITE of what woul dhave made sense for him. Add in that Sinestro should be the scariest thing the GL's know... but making it fear based forced them to come up with some really creepy things that make sinestro seem 'lame'.

Zamarons were their own thing... but now just another ring corp... EVERYONE was a ring corp.... it made the universe SMALLER than it did when people like Evil Star and his blaster were legitimate threats.
    I just looked up Evil Star and it seems his weapon was basically a Green Lantern ring in all but name.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    All sad backstories should be met with a complete and total "nobody cares". You have to stop giving people sympathy so the writers stop using it as a crutch to make you care about characters they're too incompetent to properly develop. I miss the days when people went through stuff and had to learn how to deal with it but the Bat writers have popularized whining about your problems and walking around with a chip on your shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

If you're going to make a villain sympathetic, don't have them commit actions that would make real life war criminals vomit. I'd say the X-Men are far more to blame for this than Batman.

Extraordinary Member

While I like Z's backward spells, I wish writers would stop trying to make me read them; it gives me a headache, literally. Perhaps a forward translation somewhere else on the panel?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    You need a human to temper and channel Nabu.
    Then it’s better if it’s the same human and there’s something special about that individual.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Then it’s better if it’s the same human and there’s something special about that individual.
    Except we've seen that no human can truly temper Nobu.

Injustice, and it’s follow ups, is the worst DC series published since Countdown to Final Crisis.
    Last edited by Gaius; 11-07-2020 at 11:44 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Except we've seen that no human can truly temper Nobu.
    There is one man in all the world who can truly temper Nobu, and that man is Matsuhisa Nobuyuki.

Extraordinary Member

Also, I'm not that fond of The Batman Who Laughs, The Batman Who Picks His Nose, and all The Superman Who Is Slightly Different From The Main One And Therefore Gets A Crossover. And The Robin King, or The Wonder Girl Duchess, who carries a serrated Lasso Of Strangulation. All that stuff needs to stop. None of that stuff is half as clever as you guys at DC think. And man, "Perpetua"? That's the best you could do?

What, you guys thought for seven seconds, then said, "Hey, how about "Perpetua"? Good? Yes, then, lets call it a day and go to the pub." No, guys, what you do is run that name by your seven year old son, and if he is so embarrassed he doesn't want to be seen with you, then it's a good idea to maybe rethink your laziness and give it another go before going to pub.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Also, I'm not that fond of The Batman Who Laughs, The Batman Who Picks His Nose, and all The Superman Who Is Slightly Different From The Main One And Therefore Gets A Crossover. And The Robin King, or The Wonder Girl Duchess, who carries a serrated Lasso Of Strangulation. All that stuff needs to stop. None of that stuff is half as clever as you guys at DC think. And man, "Perpetua"? That's the best you could do?

What, you guys thought for seven seconds, then said, "Hey, how about "Perpetua"? Good? Yes, then, lets call it a day and go to the pub." No, guys, what you do is run that name by your seven year old son, and if he is so embarrassed he doesn't want to be seen with you, then it's a good idea to maybe rethink your laziness and give it another go before going to pub.
    These opinions aren’t nearly as controversial as you think. I’m gonna give you a real controversial opinion: I actually loved the “Perpetua” Saga. It’s been making me choose DC over Marvel recently.

As for names, I honestly don’t see why “Perpetua” is a bad name.