Page 190 of 334 FirstFirst ... 90140180186187188189190191192193194200240290 ... LastLast
Results 2,836 to 2,850 of 4996

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    What do you mean?
    Superman. Alternate versions.
    How can I be more clear?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    That is why they wear it as a badge. DC has chosen to fan those flames.

Before Hal went nuts we had him, John and Guy with books. Editorial took out John and later Hal.

Kyle was in charge for 10 years.

Then we had Green Lantern and GLC.

At one point we saw Hal, Sinestro, GLC, Lafreeze, White Lanterns & Red Lanterns with books.

Then we saw Jessica & Simon lead a book and Hal had the other one. Then came Far Sector. All sold decent to well.

At varies times this franchise has shown it can expand.
    Did the Darkstars get merged with the GLC?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Not sure if controversial, but I kind of wish they'd get rid of Zatanna's romance/relationship with Constantine.
    I'd pay you to make that happen.

Get ready for a big one. I think Barry should have another profession. The idea of a cop superhero is good and Dick Grayson could be one for example. But Barry being a cop was just a random profession they chose to fill in the blanks. He couldn't be just another scientist so they went with something a little different but still connected to science. Clark Kent as a reporter and Superman makes total sense. Matt Murdoch as a lawyer and Daredevil also makes total sense. Barry Allen and company as a Police Scientist is just random. The best Flash stories you could write would in no way be helped by him being a cop. It would just become a part of the plot out of contrivance.

To be clear, I haven't found a good solution to this. I definitely think he needs a secret Identity, and I want something humble. Maybe he could be an electrician if you want him to be an everyman. I kind of like Danica Williams working at a museum but I suppose Hawkman already took that and from a lore perspective it makes much more sense for him. Being a banker kind of fits Barry's whole personality but I'm not sure how it would work, specially with him disappearing all the time. Heck maybe a programmer could work. He could easily dress up and do something when nobody was looking and come back an hour later. The idea of the internet being a big deal in his life isn't necessary but it could also work with him running around the city and all. Or maybe he could be an accountant.

If you started everything from scratch on the basis that Barry Allen, with the same personality, is the Flash, would you gain anything by making him a CSI? Everything he does as a CSI is what he would do as the Flash. I mean Batman also investigates a crime scene, takes evidence and analyses it in a lab. Barry would also do the aame things if he was just the Flash. From a storytelling perspective you are just repeating the same job.

Other Super hero cops are characters that become superheroes because the law won't let them go far enough, or because they are worried that criminals will come after their family if they know who they are (but this is something also common in superheroes that aren't cops). If Barry revealed his secret identity and was hired by the police department he would do everything he already does as the Flash, because a cop with super powers will always be able to do things that a normal cop can't.

Flash is the type of hero where him being the flash really overwhelms his stories. Very few stories in the last 40 years had his detective work as a central point of the plot (with Wally it wasn't that much different even though he wasn't a CSI). When you read a Flash story it usually either has to do with a crisis or villain coming after him personally or attacking the city in clear view, or it's about a fantastical threat that no cop would ever be involved in.

So does it make sense to give him such an active job since it doesn't really get used? And even if it got used, what would be the difference between Mirror Master robbing a bank and Flash hearing about it on the police radio and using his super speed to investigate the crime scene as the Flash, versus him being a cop assigned to the case. You could just remove that part and everything would be the same. He would even still have a relationship with the cops simply for being the Flash.

Compare that to Clark Kent, Matt Murdoch, sometimes Bruce Wayne and his company, Black Lightning as a school principal and Peter Parker as a school teacher. Their jobs either put them in situations they wouldn't be in as superheroes, and that somehow help them in their cases or add another level of personal dilemas or perspective to whatever crisis they are solving.
    Last edited by Alpha; 12-15-2020 at 03:07 AM.

I'm drawing a blank on what other type of job Barry would have and being a police scientist is so well known that I'm not sure what you really could do about it as alternative. Maybe it doesn't play much of a role in his stories but what else is there?

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm drawing a blank on what other type of job Barry would have and being a police scientist is so well known that I'm not sure what you really could do about it as alternative. Maybe it doesn't play much of a role in his stories but what else is there?
    Manapul and Buccellato wanted to do a story in the new 52 era dealing with Barry's forensic background. It was shot down.

Amazing Member

I'd like to see what Geoff Johns referred to at the end of Doomsday Clock as "Earth-1985" - a DCU where the bronze age Earth-1 characters could continue their exploits, and essentially break up the line into eras with each being represented, and perhaps even crossing over if a huge Omniversal threat demanded it (but then again, I'd also like to avoid that type of story for awhile, since it seems like over the past few years they've played that out a bit too much). Other eras could include:

Earth-Two: Basically the universe of the original JSA, Infinity Inc., All-Star Squadron, and so forth.
    Earth-1990s: An Earth where Wally West is the Flash, Kyle Rayner is Green Lantern, and perhaps some of the nineties stuff took on a life of its own (e.g. Conner Hawke GA, Helena Bertinelli Huntress, and so forth).
    Earth-2000s: An Earth with concepts from the mid-to-late 2000s
    Earth-52: New52 Earth
    Earth-Rebirth: Earth carrying forward the concepts originally proposed with DC Rebirth before they went off the rails.
    Earth Future State: Carrying forward the new concepts introduced in the upcoming Future State books.

And so forth....(I may be missing a few in between those listed above, but you get the general idea).

Quote Originally Posted by dmhaight View Post
    I'd like to see what Geoff Johns referred to at the end of Doomsday Clock as "Earth-1985" - a DCU where the bronze age Earth-1 characters could continue their exploits, and essentially break up the line into eras with each being represented, and perhaps even crossing over if a huge Omniversal threat demanded it (but then again, I'd also like to avoid that type of story for awhile, since it seems like over the past few years they've played that out a bit too much). Other eras could include:

Earth-Two: Basically the universe of the original JSA, Infinity Inc., All-Star Squadron, and so forth.
    Earth-1990s: An Earth where Wally West is the Flash, Kyle Rayner is Green Lantern, and perhaps some of the nineties stuff took on a life of its own (e.g. Conner Hawke GA, Helena Bertinelli Huntress, and so forth).
    Earth-2000s: An Earth with concepts from the mid-to-late 2000s
    Earth-52: New52 Earth
    Earth-Rebirth: Earth carrying forward the concepts originally proposed with DC Rebirth before they went off the rails.
    Earth Future State: Carrying forward the new concepts introduced in the upcoming Future State books.

And so forth....(I may be missing a few in between those listed above, but you get the general idea).
    loving this.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Retire the Justice League in movies and comics for at least 2 years. Have the JSA as a replacement. The League has not been interesting in a long time and all it does is keep more interesting characters from getting the spotlight

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Retire the Justice League in movies and comics for at least 2 years. Have the JSA as a replacement. The League has not been interesting in a long time and all it does is keep more interesting characters from getting the spotlight
    The League will never be interesting so long as the power balance isn't at equilibrium. When it gets treated as Bruce and his Amazing Friends (with special guest Martian Manhunter) it's going to have limited appeal.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The League will never be interesting so long as the power balance isn't at equilibrium. When it gets treated as Bruce and his Amazing Friends (with special guest Martian Manhunter) it's going to have limited appeal.
    That's inevitable in any sort of team. Hardly exclusive to Batman or the Justice League.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    That's inevitable in any sort of team. Hardly exclusive to Batman or the Justice League.
    Sure, but that imbalance can really rot a team and when it's composed of all-stars who are their own protagonists, you're not ingratiating yourself to the other fandoms when you just hold one sacred. Contrast to, say, JSA which is always a team book with Alan, Jay and usually Ted as the core of it. Nobody is buying Wildcat monthly and then having to resort to JSA to watch him play second fiddle to Hourman or something the same way Wonder Woman fans get to watch her play midboss to Superman or Batman all the damn time.

Frankly, I don't find the Justice League all that interesting and would be fine with DC retiring them entirely. None of the original Big 7 were made interesting characters in the League books except Martian Manhunter.

As much as I like him, YJ Kaldur is nowhere near as interesting as a lot of his fans think he is.