Page 192 of 334 FirstFirst ... 92142182188189190191192193194195196202242292 ... LastLast
Results 2,866 to 2,880 of 5004

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalguy View Post
    Exactly why I found the BOP complaints so trivial, especially since she did have fishnets twice in the movie.

And, her animated appearances also skew towards tights rather than fishnets so they really aren't the end all be all that people make it to be. I get its signature but the tradition has been broken before.
    When was there a BOP movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I grew up with that costume and I love it dearly, but I do like the Rebirth costume. I will die with you on the sword and shield hill, however. Her weapon is a lasso! Edgelords back the hell off!
    I always wonder what they feel the sword and shield bring. Wonder Woman literally had the best gear in comics. You aren't going to improve on the Silver Bracelets of Victory, the Lasso of Truth, and her mystically hardened tiara with an edge so keen it could flout even Zeus granted invulnerab ility

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Fashion is incredibly important to comic book nerds.
    I don't believe the Black Canary thing is about fashion, though...

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

DC's fixation on the "dark multiverse" has been very detrimental to the entire line. Their obsession with "dark" Batman and Superman has in my opinion overshadowed everything else the last couple years and led to an overall drop in quality in the main line books.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    DC's fixation on the "dark multiverse" has been very detrimental to the entire line. Their obsession with "dark" Batman and Superman has in my opinion overshadowed everything else the last couple years and led to an overall drop in quality in the main line books.
    Fully agreed

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    While I agree, it does feel almost like they're getting it all out of their system. I hope that the bloodbath brings some more positive voices onboard because I'm so tired of "DAE Superman a dickhead" or "ITT Batman megadouche."

While we're at it, enough with throwing Diana between them like a game of romantic pong. No more Trinity shipping for at least five years. SuperWonder, WonderBat, both of you go to your rooms! No supper!

Please. Enough.

While I agree, it does feel almost like they're getting it all out of their system. I hope that the bloodbath brings some more positive voices onboard because I'm so tired of "DAE Superman a dickhead" or "ITT Batman megadouche."

While we're at it, enough with throwing Diana between them like a game of romantic pong. No more Trinity shipping for at least five years. SuperWonder, WonderBat, both of you go to your rooms! No supper!

Please. Enough.
    Angst has been around a long time. And I don't mind occasional angst, it's just the constancy that gets real old. Jerkishness and morally dubious heroes (indeed heroes doing things that would have been deemed flatly villainous once upon a time) have been a while at least a couple decades now, too.

On the subject of angst - a response from a letter from #18 of the 1986 Blue Beetle.
    gritty.jpg

And that's it, isn't it? No matter how much I like heroic heroes and heroes having fun, that just doesn't seem to be what sells. And they will, of course, do what puts money in the bank. More grimdark and brags about being "edgier" are likely to continue, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Angst has been around a long time. And I don't mind occasional angst, it's just the constancy that gets real old. Jerkishness and morally dubious heroes (indeed heroes doing things that would have been deemed flatly villainous once upon a time) have been a while at least a couple decades now, too.

On the subject of angst - a response from a letter from #18 of the 1986 Blue Beetle.
    gritty.jpg

And that's it, isn't it? No matter how much I like heroic heroes and heroes having fun, that just doesn't seem to be what sells. And they will, of course, do what puts money in the bank. More grimdark and brags about being "edgier" are likely to continue, IMO.
    I mean, yes, that sells tot he current market but that market isn't sustainable and I suspect part of it is because people think of these characters are heroes, come to read their heroic stories and find them mopey. I think it's intriguing short-term because it appears there's more depth, but the problem is the angst never ends so it starts feeling like you got sold a false bill of goods.

Some stay, I fear many don't. It's why I really object to stunts like them putting the live action Aquaman on that reprint of Throne of Atlantis. Someone's going to see that and think they're getting Momoa, open it and find classic Arthur. Hard not to feel betrayed. I know covers don't always represent the story, they're there to grab your eye, but at the very least the protagonist portrayed should resemble the person leading the story inside. A variant is fine, those are often just pinups unrelated to the plot, but this was trade dress. There is no variant.

It's why I really object to stunts like them putting the live action Aquaman on that reprint of Throne of Atlantis. Someone's going to see that and think they're getting Momoa, open it and find classic Arthur. Hard not to feel betrayed. I know covers don't always represent the story, they're there to grab your eye, but at the very least the protagonist portrayed should resemble the person leading the story inside. A variant is fine, those are often just pinups unrelated to the plot, but this was trade dress. There is no variant.
    I agree that's terrible.Very bait-and-switch, IMO. And likely to alienate anyone who might have been inclined to give the comics a chance before being tricked (though, of course, if they never would have picked up any comic otherwise, I guess it's a win for DC because they got that purchase).

Some stay, I fear many don't. It's why I really object to stunts like them putting the live action Aquaman on that reprint of Throne of Atlantis. Someone's going to see that and think they're getting Momoa, open it and find classic Arthur. Hard not to feel betrayed. I know covers don't always represent the story, they're there to grab your eye, but at the very least the protagonist portrayed should resemble the person leading the story inside. A variant is fine, those are often just pinups unrelated to the plot, but this was trade dress. There is no variant.
    I felt the same way about the BoP collections they were doing for the movie. They used official movie promotion on the cover even when (other than Harley and to some extent Helena) it didn't resemble at all what was being collected.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I felt the same way about the BoP collections they were doing for the movie. They used official movie promotion on the cover even when (other than Harley and to some extent Helena) it didn't resemble at all what was being collected.
    God yeah that killed me. I bought the Huntress one because I really want that story in trade and all other previous collections I found were suffering some very yellow pages or creases. I really like Mary Elizabeth Winstead, too, but I will always prefer art of characters instead of drawn actors on here-- even ones who embody a character perfectly, like Christopher Reeve as a Pre-Crises Superman. Still, the Aquaman and BoP collections are better than those like the Black Lightning: Year One or Batwoman Elegy covers which are just pictures of the actors. Comics are half art, so why put an actor's picture on there! Show off the dynamic work of the artists who make these things! AUGH.

No disrespect intended to Cress Williams or Ruby Rose, naturally. I just don't get putting an actor on there. I would feel the same if it was Chris Reeve.

not really a hot take but, it really irritates me that they don't have a consistent design for Katana's Soultaker. like you'd think they'd give more thought and care to the item that's the character's namesake.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    not really a hot take but, it really irritates me that they don't have a consistent design for Katana's Soultaker. like you'd think they'd give more thought and care to the item that's the character's namesake.
    Let me introduce you to Batman's grapplehook and batarangs, or Superman's cape and how he tucks it in... I'm convinced the only reason the lasso of truth never gets messed up is you gotta try really hard to be inconsistent on drawing a rope... and even then, does it have rope texture or is it solid gold? :P

I know how you feel, though. There are particular things that kill me on some designs when not consistent.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-18-2020 at 09:59 PM.

They should make Hal Jordan Parallax again. Looking back, I feel like he's that one big DC villain that still has a lot of cred. Darkseid has his moments, but even he's gotten waxed and embarrassed in multimedia, whether it's a cartoon or Batbook.

I know some were against that fall to darkness, but it reminds me of that Anakin Skywalker change into Darth Vader. Remember how people use to hate the Star Wars prequels, but now they love them. That's what I think would happen with Hal Jordan and Parallax. He's the DC Darth Vader

I think DC ought to bring him back really shakes up the DC Universe again and the Green Lantern core.
    The J-man

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    They should make Hal Jordan Parallax again. Looking back, I feel like he's that one big DC villain that still has a lot of cred. Darkseid has his moments, but even he's gotten waxed and embarrassed in multimedia, whether it's a cartoon or Batbook.

I know some were against that fall to darkness, but it reminds me of that Anakin Skywalker change into Darth Vader. Remember how people use to hate the Star Wars prequels, but now they love them. That's what I think would happen with Hal Jordan and Parallax. He's the DC Darth Vader

I think DC ought to bring him back really shakes up the DC Universe again and the Green Lantern core.
    I think the difference is people loved Vader and didn't take the execution of Anakin that well. The prequels have been re-evaluated a little since the sequels dropped the ball, but "loved" may be a little strong with how people feel about them. There is also the fact that when they shaped Vader's backstory, Anakin's arc was set in stone by his very creator to have a fallen hero narrative. It's quite a bit different to do it with a hero who has been around for decades under various creators and developed a fanbase, and no fanbase wants that done to their favorite (it didn't go over well at all when it was attempted with Wally West and Cass Cain).

We also already have a Darth Vader in Sinestro