Page 194 of 334 FirstFirst ... 94144184190191192193194195196197198204244294 ... LastLast
Results 2,896 to 2,910 of 5002
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    In this case, I'd argue that Katana's situation is the most egregious. And that's because Tatsu's whole identity comes from the Katana that she wields. It's not like Batman, who's items gained his namesake and not the other way around. Nor is it like Superman and Wonder Woman, who's respective cape and lasso are iconic to their persons, but who aren't the integral namesakes that Tatsu's soul-housing and powering sword are to herself.

When you really stop and think about, the fact that there is no true and unalterable consistent appearance for such an important aspect of Katana's whole thing (it is her thing) is kind of embarrassingly inexcusable. Clark can wear his cape different each day, and Diana's lasso can glow gold or be knotted interchangeably just fine, and Bruce's equipment can have different variations as he makes and goes through and updates them.

But Tatsu's sword who is her namesake? There's only one of them. So it should look like there's only one, regardless of where and when she shows up.
    Very fair point. Unlike Green Lanterns who mostly only bring theirs around, Tatsu's namesake is also the primary tool she uses. There really is no reason for it to not be as important has her costume.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    not really a hot take but, it really irritates me that they don't have a consistent design for Katana's Soultaker. like you'd think they'd give more thought and care to the item that's the character's namesake.
    Out of curiosity, how inconsistent have you seen it be depicted?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Steve Orlando work in Wonder Woman is his only DC work (i know nothing about him outside DC) that didn't bore me to tears and he should have stayed longer in that book.
    Steve Orlando turned Phantom Stranger into a villain.
    I think he had something to say about christianity so he found out that PS used to be Judas in New 52 and used him as a villain.
    WW 758
    Steve Orlando WW 758.jpg

He was a hero for 60 years and I though Rebirth will do him justice.
    Last edited by Edwin30; 12-22-2020 at 01:37 AM.

DC isn't biased in writing their female villains as more sympathetic than their male counterparts. That isn't true. Rather DC has a bias in writing their white villains with more nuance than their poc counterparts.

Bialya and Qurac are the biggest examples of DC's anti-Arab racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    I think he had something to say about christianity so he found out that PS used to be Judas in New 52 and used him as a villain.
    WW 758
    Steve Orlando WW 758.jpg

I wasn't very fond of that either and i actually read the New 52 Phantom ongoing, but that's an small detail in a run that was overall entertaining, at least to me. Also technically this wasn't Rebirth.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

this finna be one of them takes that might as well be screaming into the void (because nobody care) but: NISIOISIN > Grant Morrison. I will never debate this, is truth.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Out of curiosity, how inconsistent have you seen it be depicted?
    i havent been paying super close attention but it feels like every medium she's in she has a different soultaker; and I can think of around 3-4 different takes on her sword over the years on the page.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

this finna be one of them takes that might as well be screaming into the void (because nobody care) but: NISIOISIN > Grant Morrison. I will never debate this, is truth.
    Never thought I'd see these two mentioned in the same sentence as each other .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Never thought I'd see these two mentioned in the same sentence as each other .
    oh, it's an axe I've been grinding for a while, from a very particular time in my nerd-dom. towards the end of Medaka Box, when it got really meta, I was also slowly learning about comics from wikis and forums and such. I was on some battle thread forum (might have been reddit or comicvine) and was trying to contextualize Kumagawa and the series for some comic fans and made the comparison to give them perspective (as comics fans); and I got absolutely flamed for it even daring compare some other work to Morrison. at the time I didn't know much about comics or Morrison so I thought "shit, maybe he's this godly writer and it's a bad comparison". years later and having read Morrison's work now, I realize not only was it pretty fair but, well, NISIOISIN > Morrison.

currently following:

oh, it's an axe I've been grinding for a while, from a very particular time in my nerd-dom. towards the end of Medaka Box, when it got really meta, I was also slowly learning about comics from wikis and forums and such. I was on some battle thread forum (might have been reddit or comicvine) and was trying to contextualize Kumagawa and the series for some comic fans and made the comparison to give them perspective (as comics fans); and I got absolutely flamed for it even daring compare some other work to Morrison. at the time I didn't know much about comics or Morrison so I thought "shit, maybe he's this godly writer and it's a bad comparison". years later and having read Morrison's work now, I realize not only was it pretty fair but, well, NISIOISIN > Morrison.
    I know nothing about Nisio Isin. What does he have to do with Grant Morrison?

I'm more of a Monogatari guy than Medaka, but maybe if I read it I'd find more a point of comparison with Morrison's work.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    WW 758
    Steve Orlando WW 758.jpg

Why did he not swat her away with his fedora?
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 12-28-2020 at 11:53 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Why did he not swat her away with his fedora?
    He was afraid she'd look better in it than he does.

Amazing Member

To the person asking about why Nisoisin and Morrison were being compared:
    Both of them write really meta work that also gets pretty out there. Medaka Box shifts genres several times during its run and several characters have the ability to change the Narrative of the story.
    Andrew Hussie is probably a third writer who writes in the same way.