Page 201 of 333 FirstFirst ... 101151191197198199200201202203204205211251301 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,015 of 4994

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Barry wasn't a detective first. He was a forensic scientist. The detective thing never made any sense and it just further trying to make him a wannabe Bruce Wayne.
    how? you realize Batman isn't the only detective, and detective is the focal of Bryce Wayne's identity. Barry makes just as much sense to be considered a Detective as Batman because a) he at least actually works for law enforcement and b) he uses his deduction and forensic skills to solve crimes all the time.

I don't understand people who get all pissy about character overlap; especially with the Flash. it's like when people were complaining about speedster having different color electricity because Black Lightning uses different color electricity. it's silly.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    how? you realize Batman isn't the only detective, and detective is the focal of Bryce Wayne's identity. Barry makes just as much sense to be considered a Detective as Batman because a) he at least actually works for law enforcement and b) he uses his deduction and forensic skills to solve crimes all the time.

I don't understand people who get all pissy about character overlap; especially with the Flash. it's like when people were complaining about speedster having different color electricity because Black Lightning uses different color electricity. it's silly.
    It's a fine line. Overlap is fine so long as they do it in a unique way otherwise pushing the detective angle does feel like Low Rent Bruce. Hell, Bruce doesn't do as much detective work under some writers so much as having done it prior to the scene where he reveals his clues because he's supposed to be the world's greatest detective and... Well the writer isn't, so he does some of the work between panels to cheat.

Likewise, Barry can just be a good detective (albeit extremely fast so he gets results in the same time as better sleuths) but allowed to make mistakes or not notice every clue right away; he becomes a detective we follow, one where we see the gears turn.

They're both detectives but it can be employed differently to make each feel unique. Kind of like how The Question and Batman did back in the 80s.

I wonder if character overlap would be less of an issue if the characters aren't in the same universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I wonder if character overlap would be less of an issue if the characters aren't in the same universe.
    A lot of them definitely become less "all-rounders" when working on a team. I'd say most older solo heroes are detectives to one degree or another. In their own comics, they find clues, put the pieces together, and foil the bad guy by figuring out his/her plan fairly often. But when they get together, many lose skills and get put into niches. And Batman gets the detective niche (and, for no discernible reason, the tactician/strategist niche, too) and all too often everyone else loses brain cells because of it.

I wonder if there are examples of Barry and Bruce trading tips about forensics?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The overlap would not be an issue if writers and editors stop being Batman worshippers. All these folks can do whatever in their books yet get tossed in a book with Batman-everyone loses most of those skills.

Cyborg could probably do more than Barry & Bruce in detective work-too bad DC can't find a writer who can actually do that. Or an editor that will allow a writer to do more with Cyborg beyond Man vs Machine and who is me my Daddy don't love me and Wheldon hurt my feelings but I won't tell you how stories.

BANNED

I think the GL mythos got tacky when it came to having all these Earth based lanterns. It’s like the Earth has a special magnetic field to bring them in. Especially when you have all these future timelines and what if’s with even more earth based lanterns.

That teen lantern idea is tacky as hell to me too.

Not big on Superman’s red trunks at all. I got it in inception given a showing of the times but nowadays it’s just “eh” same thing with the whole I can change my hair and put on glasses and no one will notice Clark Kent isn’t Superman. I’d imagine in the real world the media, governments and whatever else would be all over that the minute Superman is found out. I let it slide because it’s iconic but it just doesn’t fit with the times in my opinion.

PAD being the most influential Aquaman writer seems to be one of mine also.

Batman is pretty redundant on the league and I feel a lot of characters are either weakened or dumbed down to justify him being their at times and in some storylines.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I wonder if there are examples of Barry and Bruce trading tips about forensics?
    I think this came up a little during Joshua Williamson's run (we had two Flash/Batman crossovers).

The Emotional Spectrum as cosmology is awful., surpassed in its awfulness only by the recent Doorknob spawned rainbow of forces (the...Slow Force, et-wretched-cetera)

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    The Emotional Spectrum as cosmology is awful., surpassed in its awfulness only by the recent Doorknob spawned rainbow of forces (the...Slow Force, et-wretched-cetera)
    I don't mind the Emotional Spectrum too much, although I feel like it's pretty inconsistent and doesn't make sense in many ways... (and I've never really thought that being "willful" counts as an emotion, but whatever,) but I definitely agree on the Speed-Force spillovers.... it definitely felt in reading it that they were just copying the GL mythos and it felt really unnecessary. The different forces also feel like they have very little to do with each other, and really don't seem like a "Flash" thing.

Astonishing Member

I actually liked the Strength and Sage Forces. It added to the Flash mythos without having to rely in more Speedsters.

All-New Member

Honestly to me the "emotional" spectrum makes way more sense if you think of it as like, a motivational spectrum. All are powered by willpower but a red lantern is motivated by rage, violet by love, whereas green sitting in the middle of the spectrum is more of a general untainted willpower. Nobody with a weak will seems to be paired with a ring of any color

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by drbiii View Post
    Honestly to me the "emotional" spectrum makes way more sense if you think of it as like, a motivational spectrum. All are powered by willpower but a red lantern is motivated by rage, violet by love, whereas green sitting in the middle of the spectrum is more of a general untainted willpower. Nobody with a weak will seems to be paired with a ring of any color
    Interesting. This is the first idea I've read that makes the spectrum anything but repulsive to me. I might suggest "justice" as the green motive, but I like where your head is with this.

-Black shirt and jeans Connor Kent > Dated leatherjacket monstrosity he for some reason is back to wearing

-Wally and Barry are interchangeable as the Flash, Jay comes off as more distinct than either of them and that's because he's "the old one".

-Most people want Oracle back so they can get either have Cass or Steph back as Batgirl or childhood nostalgia, not because they're upset there's not a superhero rep for paraplegics.

-The best thing ever done with Bludhaven was blowing it up.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    -Black shirt and jeans Connor Kent > Dated leatherjacket monstrosity he for some reason is back to wearing

-Wally and Barry are interchangeable as the Flash, Jay comes off as more distinct than either of them and that's because he's "the old one".

-Most people want Oracle back so they can get either have Cass or Steph back as Batgirl or childhood nostalgia, not because they're upset there's not a superhero rep for paraplegics.

-The best thing ever done with Bludhaven was blowing it up.
    OG Young Justice fans prefer that look because they find the new one bland in comparison but most importantly his characterization was changed with the costume so it's like a call sign.