Page 208 of 333 FirstFirst ... 108158198204205206207208209210211212218258308 ... LastLast
Results 3,106 to 3,120 of 4993

Netflix goofed with the Death casting. It's painful watching Neil Gaiman do the "death has had a bunch of other forms" song and dance. Sure she did Neil, but how many of those other forms are on shirts, mugs, figures, etc?

None.

It's the second (some would argue that she is more popular than Dream now) character and to drop the ball that hard is truly something to behold.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning63 View Post
    What about Shazam? (captain marvel)
    First, I'd say SHAZAM is based on, rather than the same character as [The Real] Captain Marvel. Second, both [The Real] Captain Marvel and SHAZAM have struggled to find a place of their own in Superman's world since the 1970s. Finally, I'd say [The Real] Captain Marvel is better off in a world of his own, no matter what era you place him in.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Bendis needs to give DC pointers on how to properly push characters because they seem to have issues doing so unless they are part of a certain family.
    Also concur with this.

Personally, I think the problem with a lot DC characters isn't that they aren't given enough attention, but more to do with them consistently hitting a wall. Aquaman and Green Lantern are favourites, but I'm seriously tired of their stories because they are all about the same thing. I don't want more books (or "cartoons"), a single book that I consider good is more than enough for me.
    Last edited by Rise; 06-03-2021 at 05:32 AM.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

I think Superman leaving Lois due to his commitments as Superman would be really compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Netflix goofed with the Death casting. It's painful watching Neil Gaiman do the "death has had a bunch of other forms" song and dance. Sure she did Neil, but how many of those other forms are on shirts, mugs, figures, etc?

None.

It's the second (some would argue that she is more popular than Dream now) character and to drop the ball that hard is truly something to behold.
    Adaptations reach out to more people than comic books. This show will define Sandman for a newer generation even more so than the comic book.

If the Netflix Sandman adaptation sinks it wont be because they had a diverse cast or used pronouns in their announcements or a black woman is the personification of Death now but because of poor writing and production. Gaiman has been trying to get Sandman adapted for years now and by his own account has been shooting down bad deals since. Given how far this production has come compared to the others, that means that he's found the people who can bring his vision to life in a way that he agrees with.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Personally, I think the problem with a lot DC characters isn't that they aren't given enough attention, but more to do with them consistently hitting a wall. Aquaman and Green Lantern are favourites, but I'm seriously tired of their stories because they are all about the same thing. I don't want more books (or "cartoons"), a single book that I consider good is more than enough for me.
    Every DC character that has been in continued use for more than a decade has this problem.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Adaptations reach out to more people than comic books. This show will define Sandman for a newer generation even more so than the comic book.

If the Netflix Sandman adaptation sinks it wont be because they had a diverse cast or used pronouns in their announcements or a black woman is the personification of Death now but because of poor writing and production. Gaiman has been trying to get Sandman adapted for years now and by his own account has been shooting down bad deals since. Given how far this production has come compared to the others, that means that he's found the people who can bring his vision to life in a way that he agrees with.
    The problem isn't with the race/gender/sexuality bending in Sandman necessarily, but with the fact that it's basically all DC or WB know how to do these days. They just keep on doing it, and little else, as if simply race/gender/sexuality bending is all they need. Judging from many comments in many threads here...I'd say they might be right. A lot of people seem to ask first and only for that. But for others, what may have been amusing at first now comes across as lazy and reasonably insulting to all concerned. It's patronizing to black or gay characters, and flat out dismissive to the original characters and their fans.

As I said, I could care less in this case, but I would suggest to Gaiman and Netflix that they are really not being creative or brave by this move. The idea that it's brave to do this sort of lost steam the thousandth time DC or someone else did this. And creative would be doing something new, not something everyone else has already done.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    The problem isn't with the race/gender/sexuality bending in Sandman necessarily, but with the fact that it's basically all DC or WB know how to do these days. They just keep on doing it, and little else, as if simply race/gender/sexuality bending is all they need. Judging from many comments in many threads here...I'd say they might be right. A lot of people seem to ask first and only for that. But for others, what may have been amusing at first now comes across as lazy and reasonably insulting to all concerned. It's patronizing to black or gay characters, and flat out dismissive to the original characters and their fans.

As I said, I could care less in this case, but I would suggest to Gaiman and Netflix that they are really not being creative or brave by this move. The idea that it's brave to do this sort of lost steam the thousandth time DC or someone else did this. And creative would be doing something new, not something everyone else has already done.
    DC uses original POC characters all the time. They might use racebends but no more so than typical adaptations.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post

None.

I agree. Once again, blind casting in Hollywood going too far. The same deal with the castings of Hawkman, Cyclone and Ma Hunkel in the upcoming Black Adam.

Alan Scott should've remained hetero

The DC heroes should've been tougher towards Wonder Woman after her killing of Maxwell Lord

Tower Of Babel was one of the worst DC storylines and thought it could've been handled differently. Did the other Justice Leaguers really believed they would never go rouge or become mind controlled and that there shouldn't be any contingency plans just in case?

Joker should die.

Some DC animated movies are actually bad. I really hated Batman: Hush.

The DC heroes should've been tougher towards Wonder Woman after her killing of Maxwell Lord

Tower Of Babel was one of the worst DC storylines and thought it could've been handled differently. Did the other Justice Leaguers really believed they would never go rouge or become mind controlled and that there shouldn't be any contingency plans just in case?
    Wow - this one surprised me. After saying they should have been tougher on WW for killing someone who was murdering others and really couldn't be stopped long term, you swivel to them being too harsh on Batman?! Helll, I think they should have (successful) contingency plans against him (not that they should need them, because he should be very easily defeated), but I guess that will never happy because it would threaten his Batgod status and that everything he does is somehow either justified or forgivable in the long run.

I loathe the idea that they should just accept Batman (and only Batman) having some unilateral power over all of them. While, of course, he can do whatever the hell he wants.

Them choosing to have contingency plans makes sense. I could see them decide to separate it into cells where only some individuals know, because the target needs not to know the plan. One member doing so without the knowledge or consent of any of the others, putting all the power in their own hands, and with insufficient safety mechanisms is completely different.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 06-05-2021 at 05:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post

I wouldn't lump this in with the rest of the DCEU productions or the Berlanti shows, this is a Gaiman/Netflix collaboration that also happens to have a diverse cast. This is more like 'Sweet Tooth' in terms of Netflix adapting a creator owned project in collaboration with the comic book's creator and DC just happened to be the ones who published said original comic. The original Sandman series was notable for including LGBT characters in a time when it was even less accepted and now more than 20 years later, they are still pushing the envelope as they rightly should. I don't think Gaiman would have agreed to this project if it wasn't true to his vision and a race/gender bent casting isn't an indicator of whether or not they are being faithful to the source material.

What's your problem with the casting of the JSA? Hawkman having brown skin is absolutely great considering his strong backstory as a reincarnated hero from ancient egypt. And the actor they picked is a pretty damn great choice if you've seen him in anything.

I like Ma Hunkel and I'm not saying the change was necessary, but I don't think it hurts the character. It's an interesting idea.
    Last edited by Alpha; 06-05-2021 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    I agree. Once again, blind casting in Hollywood going too far. The same deal with the castings of Hawkman, Cyclone and Ma Hunkel in the upcoming Black Adam.

Alan Scott should've remained hetero

Joker should die.

Some DC animated movies are actually bad. I really hated Batman: Hush.
    The DC superhero community, specifically Supes and Bats, should have been on their hands and knees thanking Wonder Woman for killing Max Lord.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I wouldn't lump this in with the rest of the DCEU productions or the Berlanti shows, this is a Gaiman/Netflix collaboration that also happens to have a diverse cast. This is more like 'Sweet Tooth' in terms of Netflix adapting a creator owned project in collaboration with the comic book's creator and DC just happened to be the ones who published said original comic. The original Sandman series was notable for including LGBT characters in a time when it was even less accepted and now more than 20 years later, they are still pushing the envelope as they rightly should. I don't think Gaiman would have agreed to this project if it wasn't true to his vision and a race/gender bent casting isn't an indicator of whether or not they are being faithful to the source material.
    Well, his actual vision is documented in the sundry Sandman and other Endless books. They are what they are. His apparently evolved vision is his business, but he shouldn't think he's either brave or creative by doing so. It smacks more of his going along with the movement.