Page 217 of 333 FirstFirst ... 117167207213214215216217218219220221227267317 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,255 of 4988
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I think her use of weapons and martial arts training do make her distinct. Frankly, I think calling her "Superman-lite" makes it seem like Superman has a patent on those powers (and he wasn't even the first flying brick. Shazam flew three years before Superman got flight and Namor was flying long before Superman was).

I have a much bigger issue with all members of the Wonder family or even any Amazon that becomes more prominent getting a lasso or rope-like weapon like Diana. This is especially useless for Artemis whose entire appeal came from how different she was from Diana.
    I just called it Superman lite because he's the most well known. Her tools and stuff are cool but in the end she's still a flying brick. I'd like to see something a bit more distinctive. All the more interesting powers seem to be given to Martian Manhunter

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I think her tools and fighting style are enough of a difference. Plus there’s like, a dozen powers Superman is regularly depicted with that Wonder Woman isn’t.
    Superman just has more powers than her. That's why I said Superman-lite. Someone like Martian Manhunter or Flash has powers the others don't, making them distinct. I think WW should have that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I partly disagree.

You can mix up things from time to time, but if you go to far away from the Big Six line up, it stops feeling like the Justice League. A big part of the appeal of the Justice League comes from being the team of the Big A-List Characters.

And imo the "new" members need imo relatively experienced a need keep up power wise with the Big 6 (heavy hitters, powerful magic users, super-geniuses ect.)
    Society has moved past the need the for a team consisted five white males, one white woman and a non-human character and/or one token black member. It's 2021 and a roster does not have to reflect that anymore. There are so many members that can keep up power wise. Doctor Fate, Captain Atom, Black Lightning, Doctor Light, Shilo Norman, etc. Everything that needed to be said with The Big Seven has been said already. Adding different sorts of members creates a fresh and interesting dynamic.

I think her use of weapons and martial arts training do make her distinct. Frankly, I think calling her "Superman-lite" makes it seem like Superman has a patent on those powers (and he wasn't even the first flying brick. Shazam flew three years before Superman got flight and Namor was flying long before Superman was).

I have a much bigger issue with all members of the Wonder family or even any Amazon that becomes more prominent getting a lasso or rope-like weapon like Diana. This is especially useless for Artemis whose entire appeal came from how different she was from Diana.
    Yeah, these Superman-lite complaints always come off as a fairly shallow or assume if Superman can do it no one else is allowed to.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    The best thing ever done with Max Lord was killing him off as it meant everyone could stop pretending was anything but a waste of ink.
    Did it though? Because even though he's was killed, he seems more difficult to get rid of than ever

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Wonder Woman needs more of a unique power set rather than just being Superman-lite. I know she's had several powers over the years, and there's even a topic on this in the Wonder Woman sub, but I think she needs to be more distinct
    She lacks the heat vision, ice breath, x-ray vision and super ventriloquism. Beyond being a flying brick, she has superior fighting skills and magical tools that he doesn't have. I feel that that is enough to distinguish them. And being the female "response" to Superman and being comparable in feats is one of the purposes of Wonder Woman anyway.

I would be fine with removing flight if we got the Invisible Plane back because that is a unique feature to her, and there are potential creative uses for her to work in tandem with the Plane during fight scenes (a WW and Plane vs. Giganta fight has potential to be more interesting than Diana simply flying up to her and punching her). But since DC can't bring the plane back without also making it not be from the Amazons and instead a gift from the government/Batman, I'd rather they just keep the flight power at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I partly disagree.

You can mix up things from time to time, but if you go to far away from the Big Six line up, it stops feeling like the Justice League. A big part of the appeal of the Justice League comes from being the team of the Big A-List Characters.

And imo the "new" members need imo relatively experienced a need keep up power wise with the Big 6 (heavy hitters, powerful magic users, super-geniuses ect.)
    Yeah, without the Big 6-7 it's hard to market it as the JL and it might as well be called something else because it would just look like any of the other numerous teams running around the DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The Gotham Knights v The Metropolis Metros?
    Yeah or Gotham Knights vs New York Mets or New New York Mets

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

The “Who is more powerful ?” question is pointless in superhero comics. Who is more interesting to read about is a way more important question to ask. That is why Batman dominates and characters like Wonderwoman, Green Lantern and even Superman, seem to struggle a lot of the time. Trust me if the writers find the character interesting enough they will find a way to write their abilities in a way that will max out whatever it is that they do.

Street level characters are more interesting anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post

No they aren't. People just think this because of Batman and Spider-Man's popularity.

The “Who is more powerful ?” question is pointless in superhero comics. Who is more interesting to read about is a way more important question to ask. That is why Batman dominates and characters like Wonderwoman, Green Lantern and even Superman, seem to struggle a lot of the time. Trust me if the writers find the character interesting enough they will find a way to write their abilities in a way that will max out whatever it is that they do.

This. As much as i like characters who are powerful, there are zero stakes. Daredevil, Green Arrow, Punisher, Moon Knight are some of my favorites after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I just called it Superman lite because he's the most well known. Her tools and stuff are cool but in the end she's still a flying brick. I'd like to see something a bit more distinctive. All the more interesting powers seem to be given to Martian Manhunter

Superman just has more powers than her. That's why I said Superman-lite. Someone like Martian Manhunter or Flash has powers the others don't, making them distinct. I think WW should have that too.
    I'm guessing this is in regards to a team setting, since I feel in her solo series she's done more creative things with her powers than in the Justice League.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 07-05-2021 at 03:48 PM.

Or they will just Harley Quinn Heroes In Crisis it.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I'm guessing this is in regards to a team setting, since I feel in her solo series she's done more creative things with her powers than in the Justice League.
    Doesn't she already have that? It is in her deal already. Her Amazon heritage makes her matchless in fighting prowess and technological resources. Before The Great Stupid she had the Wisdom and the Eyes of Athena. To say nothing of her incomparable gear (again, pre TGS).

She has everything she needs. Folks just need to use her toolkit.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Doesn't she already have that? It is in her deal already. Her Amazon heritage makes her matchless in fighting prowess and technological resources. Before The Great Stupid she had the Wisdom and the Eyes of Athena. To say nothing of her incomparable gear (again, pre TGS).
    Sadly, Amazonian society isn't as advanced as it used to be. We're lucky if they remember the Purple Healing Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    She has everything she needs. Folks just need to use her toolkit.
    It would be cool if they emphasize her ability to talk to animals more. She also knows every langue on Earth (which she did by learning it, so I guess it's not a power.) She also can sense movement in air pressure which is how she can tell where bullets are coming from without looking.

There's older powers they could sift through if they wanted too, though some of those are better left in the 40's I think (*cough* ventriloquism *cough*). I think they're bringing back astral projection.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

No they aren't. People just think this because of Batman and Spider-Man's popularity.
    Agreed. Beyond those two (and some other Bat-related characters), I can't think of any street levelers I find very interesting.

Is Spider-Man even street level? Considering what some of his villains are capable of with their powers/weapons, he and his world don't spring to mind when I hear "street level."

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Agreed. Beyond those two (and some other Bat-related characters), I can't think of any street levelers I find very interesting.

Is Spider-Man even street level? Considering what some of his villains are capable of with their powers/weapons, he and his world don't spring to mind when I hear "street level."
    I think Spider-Man is considered a top level street character (he has gone cosmic a few times though, lol). Though, I do agree some of his villains are strong AF, but there motivations do seem more self contained in NYC than the whole world. Kingpin isn't really looking to run for president à la Luthor.

I've read a lot of characters varying between street level to global to cosmic, I don't really agree that the stakes change because of power-level. They all get hurt, they all face challenges in their moral character, they all loose sometimes, they all beat the bad-guy in the end.

Edit: Ultimately it's just personal taste (like everything in entertainment ). Do you want to see a hero fight a room of assassins' or a hoard of aliens in space? It's the same challenge relative to the hero.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 07-05-2021 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Did it though? Because even though he's was killed, he seems more difficult to get rid of than ever
    Forgot to include the worst part was bringing him back and forcing everyone to pretend he was an interesting villain!