Page 219 of 334 FirstFirst ... 119169209215216217218219220221222223229269319 ... LastLast
Results 3,271 to 3,285 of 5006
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Doesn't she share enhanced speed too? Idk, maybe its just me but I feel like it's not enough. All the male superheroes like Flash, Martian Manhunter, Aquaman, Atom and even Green Lantern have extra powers beyond strength, speed and flight, and I think Wonder Woman deserves that too. The "gadgets" she has are cool and she should keep them but they're not powers in the same way
    The problem is more that Wonder Woman's unique powers, and the unique powers of her equipment, are as little or even less consistent as her flying brick powers, so she seems less unique than she is or should be with that. The lasso has interacted with souls or intangible energies like lightning or spirits, or generated magical flames as examples, among many other powers:

and the bracelets had a storing effect after flashpoint, and generated a magical shield before flashpoints as examples:

She herself has or has had also powers like communicating with all animals, rapid healing, astral projection and was even able to teleport through dimensions at points, magic, and other powers.

Lack of consistency is like so often Wonder Woman's biggest problem in that department.
    Last edited by Rightoya; 07-06-2021 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    To reply to arguments in this thread in a short and concise way:

-Superman is the first superhero (yes, you can split hairs and point out predecessors but the point is, he got the ball rolling) so technically every superhero except for maybe Batman is a variation of him.

-Daredevil has the most consistent quality of any title published by either Marvel or DC. Not his fault his tv show got cancelled because of corporate beef.

-Street level heroes can get old fast. Even the Punisher works best as a foil for other heroes, otherwise he's just like every other action hero. Spider-Man and Batman are adaptable so you can do stories with Spider-Man in space and Batman fighting aliens in order to keep the stories fresh and unpredictable. Pure street level heroes eventually write themselves out of existence because of the murky morality of going around beating people you don't like while wearing a mask.

-Wonder Woman is not and has never been a 'female Superman'. She may have come across that way in ensemble settings under lesser writers but even in her original debut comics, she had an entirely different backstory, personality and mythos different from Superman. Flying, superstrength and invulnerability are basic flying brick abilities. Diana can also talk to animals, astral project herself to the realm of the Gods, use the unbreakable Lasso of Truth and unlike Superman, she also spent years training herself in how to use her powers. She's different enough from Superman, imo.
    I agree. I don't think Diana has anything wrong with her core concept and wouldn't be improved by just throwing new powers at her.
    I don't think that most powerful has to equal most interesting.

Ultimate Member

To reply to arguments in this thread in a short and concise way:

-Superman is the first superhero (yes, you can split hairs and point out predecessors but the point is, he got the ball rolling) so technically every superhero except for maybe Batman is a variation of him.

-Daredevil has the most consistent quality of any title published by either Marvel or DC. Not his fault his tv show got cancelled because of corporate beef.

-Street level heroes can get old fast. Even the Punisher works best as a foil for other heroes, otherwise he's just like every other action hero. Spider-Man and Batman are adaptable so you can do stories with Spider-Man in space and Batman fighting aliens in order to keep the stories fresh and unpredictable. Pure street level heroes eventually write themselves out of existence because of the murky morality of going around beating people you don't like while wearing a mask.
    Especially nowadays when it could come off as copaganda

-Wonder Woman is not and has never been a 'female Superman'. She may have come across that way in ensemble settings under lesser writers but even in her original debut comics, she had an entirely different backstory, personality and mythos different from Superman. Flying, superstrength and invulnerability are basic flying brick abilities. Diana can also talk to animals, astral project herself to the realm of the Gods, use the unbreakable Lasso of Truth and unlike Superman, she also spent years training herself in how to use her powers. She's different enough from Superman, imo.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    The problem is more that Wonder Woman's unique powers, and the unique powers of her equipment, are as little or even less consistent as her flying brick powers, so she seems less unique than she is or should be with that. The lasso has interacted with souls or intangible energies like lightning or spirits, or generated magical flames as examples, among many other powers:

and the bracelets had a storing effect after flashpoint, and generated a magical shield before flashpoints as examples:

She herself has or has had also powers like communicating with all animals, rapid healing, astral projection and was even able to teleport through dimensions at points, magic, and other powers.

Lack of consistency is like so often Wonder Woman's biggest problem in that department.
    I see. So why exactly do the writers not keep things consistent?

Doesn't she share enhanced speed too? Idk, maybe its just me but I feel like it's not enough. All the male superheroes like Flash, Martian Manhunter, Aquaman, Atom and even Green Lantern have extra powers beyond strength, speed and flight, and I think Wonder Woman deserves that too. The "gadgets" she has are cool and she should keep them but they're not powers in the same way
    Flash, GL, and Atom all have very specialized powers though, so I'm not sure if the comparison is fair. I mean, Flash's sole power is speed.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Flash, GL, and Atom all have very specialized powers though, so I'm not sure if the comparison is fair. I mean, Flash's sole power is speed.
    Flash has way powers than speed. And GL rings can theoretically do all kinds of things. Atom might not be a valid comparison though

Mighty Member

Especially nowadays when it could come off as copaganda
    And while Spider-Man and Batman are off in space, people are injured and killed by muggers, burglars, and some cops.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    And while Spider-Man and Batman are off in space, people are injured and killed by muggers, burglars, and some cops.
    That's possible. Although maybe street crime has decreased.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Flash's sole power being speed should not impact Supes, Wondy, or Captain Marvel at all. For whatever reason, people are always on the forget her powers; reduce her powers; or punish/corrupt her if her powers are acknowledged. It is quite strange. Reading that she has "enhanced" speed is truly a WTF moment. From go the character was designed with top tier speed. There's a reason the design was changed from having the speed of the God of Speed to being Swifter than. She isn't outclassed by anyone in speed, strength, and power. Those were directly specifically addressed at inception.

What does differ from her peers are the how's and the dynamics. A speed force user has some advantages over her and Clark (but not Cap) in terms of their ability to greatly reduce the damage to passengers without taking additional actions when moving at high speeds.

Astonishing Member

That's possible. Although maybe street crime has decreased.
    These are comic books. Things don't get better.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Flash's sole power being speed should not impact Supes, Wondy, or Captain Marvel at all. For whatever reason, people are always on the forget her powers; reduce her powers; or punish/corrupt her if her powers are acknowledged. It is quite strange. Reading that she has "enhanced" speed is truly a WTF moment. From go the character was designed with top tier speed. There's a reason the design was changed from having the speed of the God of Speed to being Swifter than. She isn't outclassed by anyone in speed, strength, and power. Those were directly specifically addressed at inception.

What does differ from her peers are the how's and the dynamics. A speed force user has some advantages over her and Clark (but not Cap) in terms of their ability to greatly reduce the damage to passengers without taking additional actions when moving at high speeds.
    Speed force users also have other abilities like intangibility and time travel. So i don't think WW need to be nerfed to make Flash look good

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    These are comic books. Things don't get better.
    Sadly, yes. But it wouldn't hurt for them to try.

Astonishing Member

Sadly, yes. But it wouldn't hurt for them to try.
    The really sad thing is that it would hurt them.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    The really sad thing is that it would hurt them.
    How so? You think readers might dislike it?

Boisterously Confused

IMO, superheroes, especially street level heroes, need civilization to be coming apart at the seams. Crime drops, and they go from a heroic necessity to a pack of weird exhibitionists.

ETA: you can pose it as freeing them up to go to space, it it pulls them out of the scenarios that made them popular to begin with.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 07-07-2021 at 09:50 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

There wouldn't be any stories left. Batman could get by without street crime because his supervillains are their own brand of weird that has no real-world equivalent, plus he travels out of the city for wilder stuff all the time. But B-list and below street levelers don't really have all the iconic or interesting stuff to fall back on that Batman does.