Page 220 of 334 FirstFirst ... 120170210216217218219220221222223224230270320 ... LastLast
Results 3,286 to 3,300 of 4996

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Flash has way powers than speed. And GL rings can theoretically do all kinds of things. Atom might not be a valid comparison though
    Everything Flash does is speed and motion based.

His intangibility? Just vibrating his molecules.

Time travel? He's just running faster and vibrating his body.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    There wouldn't be any stories left. Batman could get by without street crime because his supervillains are their own brand of weird that has no real-world equivalent, plus he travels out of the city for wilder stuff all the time. But B-list and below street levelers don't really have all the iconic or interesting stuff to fall back on that Batman does.
    I think Green Arrow (and Spider-Man) could get by as well, but the problem is the idea of them fighting normal crime at all.

Batman is still implied to fight normal crime even when they don't outright show it.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I think Green Arrow (and Spider-Man) could get by as well, but the problem is the idea of them fighting normal crime at all.

Batman is still implied to fight normal crime even when they don't outright show it.
    I think that's true for most Superheroes.

Like, Flash mostly fights normal crime when he's not dealing with The Rogues. He just deals with it in a split-second.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    IMO, superheroes, especially street level heroes, need civilization to be coming apart at the seams. Crime drops, and they go from a heroic necessity to a pack of weird exhibitionists.

ETA: you can pose it as freeing them up to go to space, it it pulls them out of the scenarios that made them popular to begin with.
    Or the stories could focus on something else. The DC Universe is full of crazy and interesting stuff beyond street crime, and doesn't necessarily have to be going to space. I think it's worth a try to at least see what a hero can do besides punch random low-level crooks. Or maybe they could try to fight against the kinds of things which lead people into crime in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    There wouldn't be any stories left. Batman could get by without street crime because his supervillains are their own brand of weird that has no real-world equivalent, plus he travels out of the city for wilder stuff all the time. But B-list and below street levelers don't really have all the iconic or interesting stuff to fall back on that Batman does.
    Maybe the problem is DC didn't built up their B-list heroes enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Everything Flash does is speed and motion based.

His intangibility? Just vibrating his molecules.

Time travel? He's just running faster and vibrating his body.
    Ok but those are still separate powers. It's the Speed Force, not just speed. Otherwise Superman and Wonder Woman would do all that too

Or the stories could focus on something else. The DC Universe is full of crazy and interesting stuff beyond street crime, and doesn't necessarily have to be going to space. I think it's worth a try to at least see what a hero can do besides punch random low-level crooks. Or maybe they could try to fight against the kinds of things which lead people into crime in the first place
    We see that stuff. Maybe not as much, but there are a few issues where that kind of content is in there.
    Maybe the problem is DC didn't built up their B-list heroes enough.
    Depends which B-Listers we're talking about here.
    Ok but those are still separate powers. It's the Speed Force, not just speed. Otherwise Superman and Wonder Woman would do all that too
    They're not, though? Again, it's all based around speed and motion and the Flashes specialize in that in a way no other characters do.

Ultimate Member

We see that stuff. Maybe not as much, but there are a few issues where that kind of content is in there.
    That means "fighting street crime" isn't totally necessary to make a superhero comic then

Depends which B-Listers we're talking about here.
    Tbh, I'm not sure who exactly counts as B-listers

They're not, though? Again, it's all based around speed and motion and the Flashes specialize in that in a way no other characters do.
    But in the end, they're not all one power

Boisterously Confused

Or the stories could focus on something else. The DC Universe is full of crazy and interesting stuff beyond street crime, and doesn't necessarily have to be going to space. I think it's worth a try to at least see what a hero can do besides punch random low-level crooks. Or maybe they could try to fight against the kinds of things which lead people into crime in the first place...
    There are characters in DC's stable that specialize in that, and yes, there's plenty of room for it. I was responding for your proposition of why Batman or Spider-Man might be taken out of the street-crime milieu which was...
    Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    And while Spider-Man and Batman are off in space, people are injured and killed by muggers, burglars, and some cops.
    That's possible. Although maybe street crime has decreased.
    Spider-Man and Batman aren't meant to be Space Heroes. They were made to let us pretend there were fixes to problems right around the corner, and they haven't morphed enough (although, divinity knows, writers have tried) to fit comfortably into what you're suggesting. If Batman were, he would abandon the things that make Batman such a cultural icon.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    There are characters in DC's stable that specialize in that, and yes, there's plenty of room for it. I was responding for your proposition of why Batman or Spider-Man might be taken out of the street-crime milieu which was...
    Spider-Man and Batman aren't meant to be Space Heroes. They were made to let us pretend there were fixes to problems right around the corner, and they haven't morphed enough (although, divinity knows, writers have tried) to fit comfortably into what you're suggesting. If Batman were, he would abandon the things that make Batman such a cultural icon.
    Yeah, but do those things work anymore? I think Batman can survive some changes to him, especially since most of his well known villains aren't basic street criminals anyway. And I don't think he needs to become a space hero to do that. Plus, there are plenty of other problems facing people besides bank robbers

That means "fighting street crime" isn't totally necessary to make a superhero comic then
    Depends on the execution and story.
    But in the end, they're not all one power
    It's one power applied in different ways.

Ultimate Member

Depends on the execution and story.
    I guess so. But I think street crime isn't an absolute necessity

It's one power applied in different ways.
    If that's true, then why wouldn't other super fast heroes outside of the Flash family use those powers? I agree they all derive from the same source, but I wouldn't outright call them the same

I guess so. But I think street crime isn't an absolute necessity
    Well, I think that depends on a host of factors like the kind of hero you're focusing on and what their daily stories might be.
    If that's true, then why wouldn't other super fast heroes outside of the Flash family use those powers? I agree they all derive from the same source, but I wouldn't outright call them the same
    There speed doesn't work the same way. They don't tap into the pure Speed Force.

It's why the Flashes are basically faster than anyone else.

Ultimate Member

Well, I think that depends on a host of factors like the kind of hero you're focusing on and what their daily stories might be.
    Yeah. I think the concern was whether fighting street level crime is still relevant or appropriate

There speed doesn't work the same way. They don't tap into the pure Speed Force.

It's why the Flashes are basically faster than anyone else.
    Ok, that's my point. The Speed Force is the source, but the end result is more abilities than just super speed

IMO, superheroes, especially street level heroes, need civilization to be coming apart at the seams. Crime drops, and they go from a heroic necessity to a pack of weird exhibitionists.
    I can't agree. There needs to be some crime, I agree - that's what's there for them to fight. Them living in Utopia would be a boring story. But I really dislike the hellscape Gotham, cursed to failure that never improves. Makes everything they do futile.

I also dislike that in many of the modern stories that (completely non-street-level) have several mass murders before the heroes stop the bad guys.

Not sure it's controversial, but I do rather like the idea that most heroes are happy being heroes. That being a hero is a net positive in their lives. Not something that destroys their personal lives, kills their loved ones, and leaves them psychologically damaged. I like for a lot of the heroes to have fun while saving the day fairly often. And to almost always actually save the day, not just mop up the blood and guts and cuff the bad guy after it's all over.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-13-2021 at 03:13 PM.

Yeah. I think the concern was whether fighting street level crime is still relevant or appropriate
    Well, street level crime still happens to this day, so I think it's still fairly relevant.
    Ok, that's my point. The Speed Force is the source, but the end result is more abilities than just super speed
    But those abilities come about through speed. Just an incredibly heightened sense of speed.

BANNED

Raven is WAY too good for Beast Boy