Page 224 of 333 FirstFirst ... 124174214220221222223224225226227228234274324 ... LastLast
Results 3,346 to 3,360 of 4987

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    More than that, without a consistent set of rules, the question becomes "why didn't Supes just go back and save that person that just got killed?" And "some things are fixed" only works if there is a consistent rule as to what ones are and aren't to me. Obviously not establishing that rule makes it easy for writers, but I find it very frustrating as a reader because it's basically just "because I said so" and often used to maximize angst.

Well, I like her not bulletproof, because I really like her needing to deflect those bullets. And am only unwilling to sacrifice flight because other fans like it so much (I feel similar about some of Supes' powers). I don't like adding new powers (something I've discussed several times), and while plumbing the depths of old powers is interesting, there are few I actually like that I've seen presented. I don't care for talking to animals because it often ends up anthropomorphizing them or used as a joke. I don't like the control for the lasso because it creeps me out. And I do like the lasso to be uni-purpose, really, which comes back to limiting powersets. I did enjoy the telepathic radio, but it's not really a power, and doesn't really have a niche now that I can think of. I don't like as a generally magical person (not my taste in stories), and I do want all other Amazons to have all the powers she does, save those from the lasso, with only her skill at using her abilities setting her apart, so whatever abilities she has, those abilities have to work in a society. Because, to me, she needs to representative of that society - she's the best of them (in certain fields), but still one of them, rather than apart from them.
    What about use of skill with what she already has? Like whirling the lasso a particular way to counteract or disrupt a frequency she has detected? Or using her voice to mimic a particular sound trigger? There were bunches of ways that she used the lasso including whirling it to deflect incoming projectile and laser fire so her hands were free to go do whatever to the keypad on Cybers door).

I feel like she has been aggressively stripped down lately thanks in part to the last regime's hatred of the character and preference for Xena.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Well this is the thought train of using time travel responsibly, IE not often. But doesn't actually limit how often they COULD.
    Ok, but just being able to do something doesn't mean you always should.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    What about use of skill with what she already has? Like whirling the lasso a particular way to counteract or disrupt a frequency she has detected? Or using her voice to mimic a particular sound trigger? There were bunches of ways that she used the lasso including whirling it to deflect incoming projectile and laser fire so her hands were free to go do whatever to the keypad on Cybers door).

I feel like she has been aggressively stripped down lately thanks in part to the last regime's hatred of the character and preference for Xena.
    And I feel like a lot of those were honestly dues ex machinas. Ways to make her able to do anything. I do dislike the sword motif. I don't want to see a sword, really, at all, to be honest. But to me a lot of the powers she's had are about like Clark creating lots of mini-Supermans - better forgotten. I like limits (hell, I'm a fan of the yellow-weakness for Lanterns), and I like consistent rules.

Ultimate Member

The yellow-weakness thing never made much sense to me

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Ok, but just being able to do something doesn't mean you always should.
    Right... but... having the ability to casually break the rules of continuity. Which characters have the power and DON'T feel obligated to do things right?

Ultimate Member

Right... but... having the ability to casually break the rules of continuity. Which characters have the power and DON'T feel obligated to do things right?
    My point is going back in time and trying to fix things doesn't automatically mean those things will be fixed. So a hero can reverse time and try to undo a previous event but if they're not careful, they could cause further damage.

My point is going back in time and trying to fix things doesn't automatically mean those things will be fixed. So a hero can reverse time and try to undo a previous event but if they're not careful, they could cause further damage.
    And what if the character with time travel powers doesn't feel that obligation? Like that old Superfriends episode with multiple temporal violations both the good guys AND bad guys? Yes, the one where Cheetah went back in time to replace Diana as Wonder Woman, Lex Luthor became Green Lantern of Earth instead of Hal Jordan, and Sinestro? well... he saw to it that Superman never came to live on Earth. THAT sort of time travel story.
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Super_Fri..._Super_Friends

Ultimate Member

And what if the character with time travel powers doesn't feel that obligation? Like that old Superfriends episode with multiple temporal violations both the good guys AND bad guys? Yes, the one where Cheetah went back in time to replace Diana as Wonder Woman, Lex Luthor became Green Lantern of Earth instead of Hal Jordan, and Sinestro? well... he saw to it that Superman never came to live on Earth. THAT sort of time travel story.
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Super_Fri..._Super_Friends
    Then maybe they'd be the guy the heroes would try to stop. That could actually be the story.

Then maybe they'd be the guy the heroes would try to stop. That could actually be the story.
    In that particular episode that's the entire story... but... it's a bit dumb to have the sort of casual time travel in stories.

Ultimate Member

In that particular episode that's the entire story... but... it's a bit dumb to have the sort of casual time travel in stories.
    Not necessarily. It just depends on the kind of story. I've never watched the Super Friends though.

All I'm saying is time travel isn't an instant solution and doesn't have to be completely gone in order to make a good story

Not necessarily. It just depends on the kind of story. I've never watched the Super Friends though.

All I'm saying is time travel isn't an instant solution and doesn't have to be completely gone in order to make a good story
    And what I was getting at is that one of the best ways to achieve that is to have time travel not be easy.

Ultimate Member

And what I was getting at is that one of the best ways to achieve that is to have time travel not be easy.
    I'm not saying it should be easy either. Nor should every time traveller have the same level or type of power. But even someone with advanced time powers can't necessarily easily win. Especially if both sides have such powers.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I wouldn't want the feats Superman and Wonder Woman perform to be at the cartoonish levels they were at in the Silver Age, but I also wouldn't want to tone them down too much beyond that either. For a shared DCU, Superman should be at Bronze age levels and Wonder Woman should be at Golden Age + flight (so I guess post-Crisis). And both have the intellects of their pre-Crisis counterparts as well
    You claim this as if Diana in the golden age wasn't a powerhouse comparable to her current incarnation. In fact, I'll go as far to say the only "weak" Wonder Woman is the pre-crisis Wonder Woman who appeared in JLA. Even under Robert Kanigher, he still showed Diana is a powerhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    Society has moved past the need the for a team consisted five white males, one white woman and a non-human character and/or one token black member. It's 2021 and a roster does not have to reflect that anymore. There are so many members that can keep up power wise. Doctor Fate, Captain Atom, Black Lightning, Doctor Light, Shilo Norman, etc. Everything that needed to be said with The Big Seven has been said already. Adding different sorts of members creates a fresh and interesting dynamic.
    The only era that actually used the "big 7" consistently is Gardner Fox and Johns, and post-Rebirth. Morrison had rotating cast of characters. The 80s and 90s hardly ever use them together. The 70s had a nice cast too.

And, I disagree, there are plenty of more stories to tell with them.

The concept of "legacy characters" is stupid. Unless the character hits it with the fans, they don't add much to the franchise. It's better to expand on characters than to add another Robin or Kid Flash. Or Superman or Batman.