Page 245 of 332 FirstFirst ... 145195235241242243244245246247248249255295 ... LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,675 of 4968

I think Red Robin is DC's version of Kid Arachnid.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    We get back to the whole question as to whether or not we can stand similar groups of people doing the same thing.
    The short answer is "no."

A title should strive to provide something readers can't find anywhere else, and nobody will benefit from a Titans book that does the same kind of "generic superhero team" stuff the League excels at. Not in this market, this economy, this mindset of only following what "really matters."

And keeping the Titans stuck in a coming of age story doesn't work anymore either. It's antithetical to the original Wolfman run, which found success largely by *not* sticking the status quo in amber and allowing the roster to evolve. And with a steady stream of younger heroes coming in, the Titans end up looking older by comparison, and when the roster is more experienced than 90% of the DCU, nobody wants to see teeny angst and doubt from them.

And there's other issues, I think, with the Titans brand and the NTT roster, and they all intersect in a perfect storm of irrelevance. The NTT characters are amazing and full of potential (a few even realized that potential) but as Titans, they're now less than the sum of their parts. I think it's time to let those guys move the hell on with their lives, but if they must remain together then you need a compelling reason that goes beyond "friendship is magic!" and nostalgia and League Lite, standard superheroics.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

There are no mediocre ideas.

this should probably go without saying on it's face, but it becomes controversial in practice: if you're criticizing a character and (willfully or otherwise) can't keep their recent developments or name straight, then your criticism holds significant less weight and is likely invalid. you see it here and there with codenames and plot threads, and it's usually not too big deal; it's just ignorance, maybe people ain't had the time to Google it. but the one that gets me in particular tho, that I see it most egregiously with, is people clearly and obviously refusing to comprehend Wallace West's name. bruh, if you're still calling him NuWally or black Wally (this one less so now) in 2021, you can't possibly expect me to take anything after that in serious good faith as far as I'm concerned. because you're not being a serious person.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Now, I'm not a fan of the JSA on the same earth as the JLA for reasons previously discussed. But this comment does rather make me think of the term "clutter Earth" and just how damn cluttered it's gotten since 1990s with "families" growing larger and larger. Many members aren't well-used. And it is, as you mentioned, particularly problematic for the generational ones. DC seems to only want to deal with one "young" generation at a time, so with each new group, the old ones get discarded/used as canon fodder. They don't even wait for them to grow up anymore before getting shoved aside for a newbie. And the ones that should be grown up get de-aged to keep the main-title heroes younger (and sometimes get elements stripped away - from kids to to skill sets to maturities long since gained).
    Thing is that there are simply to many characters in each franchise, the amount of books of books you would need for all of them to get at least some amount of focus and development is simply not sustainable.

That they keep decreasing the age gap between the generations is also not helping. You could at the moment put many members of Damians Generation (Jon, Emiko, Wallace, Crush ...) and on team ups with Characters of Tim's generation (or even some of Dick's like Beats Boy and Raven), and there would be no age difference visible.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Thing is that there are simply to many characters in each franchise, the amount of books of books you would need for all of them to get at least some amount of focus and development is simply not sustainable.

That they keep decreasing the age gap between the generations is also not helping. You could at the moment put many members of Damians Generation (Jon, Emiko, Wallace, Crush ...) and on team ups with Characters of Tim's generation (or even some of Dick's like Beats Boy and Raven), and there would be no age difference visible.
    Yeah, people like to talk about adding new characters as if you can have an infinite number.... not really. There's only so many pages of comics that get published each year, that limits how many characters can be in print simultaneously.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah, people like to talk about adding new characters as if you can have an infinite number.... not really. There's only so many pages of comics that get published each year, that limits how many characters can be in print simultaneously.
    I think for franchises other than Batman and Superman the limit is really something like 2-3 characters (unless the franchise has a really strong run, or they have several strong Team books at the same time), Superman can maybe do 3-5, and Batman I guess 5-10.

I guess way to keep all the legacy characters relevant would be if DC could give any generation an team book like Teen titans, Young Justice, ...
    Unfortunatly it seems DC has lost the ablilty to make these books good for some reason ...
    Last edited by Aahz; 09-30-2021 at 02:55 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I think for franchises other than Batman and Superman the limit is really something like 2-3 characters (unless the franchise has a really strong run, or they have several strong Team books at the same time), Superman can maybe do 3-5, and Batman I guess 5-10.

I guess way to keep all the legacy characters relevant would be if DC could give any generation an team book like Teen titans, Young Justice, ...
    Unfortunatly it seems DC has lost the ablilty to make these books good for some reason ...
    In an ideal world we could have the main five generation books going at once (Justice Society, Justice League, Titans, Young Justice and Teen Titans) plus others like LoSH.

I think COIE worked the way it was intended.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    this should probably go without saying on it's face, but it becomes controversial in practice: if you're criticizing a character and (willfully or otherwise) can't keep their recent developments or name straight, then your criticism holds significant less weight and is likely invalid. you see it here and there with codenames and plot threads, and it's usually not too big deal; it's just ignorance, maybe people ain't had the time to Google it. but the one that gets me in particular tho, that I see it most egregiously with, is people clearly and obviously refusing to comprehend Wallace West's name. bruh, if you're still calling him NuWally or black Wally (this one less so now) in 2021, you can't possibly expect me to take anything after that in serious good faith as far as I'm concerned. because you're not being a serious person.
    The fact that Wallace is still getting called out of his name in the backend of 2021 really is a special kind of aggravating.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning63 View Post
    In an ideal world we could have the main five generation books going at once (Justice Society, Justice League, Titans, Young Justice and Teen Titans) plus others like LoSH.
    Thing is just that Dick generation of Titans hasn't really had a good run in 20 years or so, Tim's not in about 10, and I don't think any incarnation with Damian on the team lasted for even 3 years before they completely changed the roaster...

The Wonder Girl origin works.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    The Wonder Girl origin works.
    Which one?

Devin Grayson's run on Nightwing is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    Devin Grayson's run on Nightwing is good.
    I have to agree. I am 75% done and that lady rocks!