Page 267 of 333 FirstFirst ... 167217257263264265266267268269270271277317 ... LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,005 of 4988

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    They didn't actually do that after COIE. If they had, there probably would not have been so many problems.
    Would you say the problems post-COIE was worse than the problems post Nu52/Rebirth/Death Metal?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Would you say the problems post-COIE was worse than the problems post Nu52/Rebirth/Death Metal?
    Personally, I'd say post-COIE was managed much better than those later ones, even though it was still far from great.

Though I guess it's at fault for establishing the precedent of a massive line wide reboot, so it could be the root cause of all those others.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'm ready for a new Robin. Damian is so against the concept of being Robin that he's basically only holding it for spite or nepotism.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I'm ready for a new Robin. Damian is so against the concept of being Robin that he's basically only holding it for spite or nepotism.
    I'm ready for Batman and Robin to be partners again more than I am a new Robin per se, but conceptually I see Damian's whole shtick being someone who starts out so far from and against the norm of Robin that it makes his progression into being more of a proper Robin more meaningful.

Granted writers had to keep walking back his character development.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm ready for Batman and Robin to be partners again more than I am a new Robin per se, but conceptually I see Damian's whole shtick being someone who starts out so far from and against the norm of Robin that it makes his progression into being more of a proper Robin more meaningful.

I wonder if we're gonna get another B&R series after Damian's solo is done.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I just don't see Bruce and Damian really ever being a satisfying Batman and Robin. It only worked with Dick because Dick kind of doesn't buy Damien's bluster at all. He sees through that kid.
    May we never forget:

Incredible Member

Damian is an incredibly popular Robin right now. His solo sells more than the JL.

Mia seems to be a Robin in an Elseworlds story in 2 Batman backups, but I doubt DC would try to replace Damian in the main continuity soon. Williamson already teased that he'll play a part in the Shadow War event and in the main Batman book.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    That's pretty much how I feel. Writers should cherrypick because it's their story to tell and fans will always have those old issues if they want to reference or reexperience things from the past. And I like to think I'm consistent on that even when it results in story beats I don't like or things I do like being forgotten. I just don't read the book if it has too much stuff from a previous run I don't like and can't make it work.

Sometimes rolling in continuity can work, sometimes it doesn't. But expecting every single new concept, supporting character, storyline, and mantle change (no matter how poorly its introduced) to be built upon is just straight up bad writing. Some concepts are so unsalvageable or stupid they need to be retconned away or replaced with something better. Sometimes they don't even deserve that and should just be ignored, like Spider-Man hitting MJ. Or all of a sudden revealing early Wakanda owes its existence to Native American analogues and that the entire culture is a settler colony. Continuity is just a tool of the writer to use as they wish, if fans don't like it they can read what came immediately before.
    I had to rely because this made me think that there is one inherent flaw in the argument.
    One assume the fandom is a monolithic coherent structure. Is not. Expecially of long going comics universe like DC and Marvel. Where and when you started reading or experience them influence your idea of of how being a fan. What I consider a classic pillar of a character story could not be the same for you. And we grow, dislike fictional characters, and our perception of things change. Sure nostalgia for a half remembered past is always present(Mandela effect is omnipresent in comic fandom) but so is a somber bitter realization that what you liked as kid you like no more and there is nothing wrong with that. So trying to please the fandom is...kind of hard considering how polymorph it is.

Extraordinary Member

Oh, it's always been about his feelings of entitlement. Similarly, I think the only two reasons he's still Robin (in-story, anyway) is that he wants to prove he's the best at it even though he doesn't even really care for the role that much (let's face it, in most every portrayal, it almost seems like he thinks it's beneath him), and that he thinks it's the only road a person can take to being the next Batman. That's ultimately his endgame. It certainly isn't helping people or being a good partner.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    Damian is an incredibly popular Robin right now. His solo sells more than the JL.

Mia seems to be a Robin in an Elseworlds story in 2 Batman backups, but I doubt DC would try to replace Damian in the main continuity soon. Williamson already teased that he'll play a part in the Shadow War event and in the main Batman book.
    Oh, I know he's popular. I did post this in the controversial opinion thread, didn't I?

Just because I think the best thing that kid ever did is polish the Heretic's sword with his chest doesn't mean the rest of the world feels that way. They like the abusive little *******.
    May we never forget:

I fear Damian is just too popular to replace as Robin right now, sadly. Though I wouldn't mind Bruce teaming up with Nightwing, Red Robin or any of the Batgirls more.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I fear Damian is just too popular to replace as Robin right now, sadly. Though I wouldn't mind Bruce teaming up with Nightwing, Red Robin or any of the Batgirls more.
    I used to think Tim was never going to be replaced.

I concur with others I've gotten sick of Damian's schtick but I'll also say I kind of hope there isn't a new Robin after him. If we get a sixth Robin, than that title is officially ridiculous/meaningless.

I concur with others I've gotten sick of Damian's schtick but I'll also say I kind of hope there isn't a new Robin after him. If we get a sixth Robin, than that title is officially ridiculous/meaningless.
    It's a when, not an if.

For what it's worth, the current Robin title is great. I picked it up because I love Melnikov's art and those Manapul covers were so good alongside a recommendation from a friend. I don't like Damian, but damn if that book's not a great time.
    May we never forget:

I just don't see Bruce and Damian really ever being a satisfying Batman and Robin. It only worked with Dick because Dick kind of doesn't buy Damien's bluster at all. He sees through that kid.
    As much as I like Dick and Damian I find Bruce and Damian's partnership richer and more engaging.

Curious, what did you think of Bruce and Damian as batman and robin in the Titles below that explored their partnership as a more conventional Batman and Robin team?

batman / tmnt all volumes by tynion
    Tec by tomasi [Arkham Knight arc and Demon Detective arc]
    Tec Annual by taylor

I think Robin should stop at Damian.

Bruce has enough allies. Gotham is overflowing and we currently have 2 Robin why introduce another one when Tim Drake [the sidekick before Damian and Duke] is yet to graduate?