Page 268 of 334 FirstFirst ... 168218258264265266267268269270271272278318 ... LastLast
Results 4,006 to 4,020 of 4996

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Oh, I know he's popular. I did post this in the controversial opinion thread, didn't I?

Just because I think the best thing that kid ever did is polish the Heretic's sword with his chest doesn't mean the rest of the world feels that way. They like the abusive little *******.
    They sure do. Look at his father

Extraordinary Member

I think Robin is bigger than Damien, personally. If Robin should've stopped at anyone, though, it should have been Dick.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I'm fine with it stopping after Jason gets killed.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I think Robin is bigger than Damien, personally. If Robin should've stopped at anyone, though, it should have been Dick.
    Robin is bigger then Damian. If Damian lost the title to someone else and had to sell a book under his own name which book do you think would sell more?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I'm fine with it stopping after Jason gets killed.
    Nah.

Tim becoming Robin was a worthwhile continuation of the lineage (at least prior to Flashpoint).

It should have ended with Tim. Though I'm fine with it ending with Jason as well. As much as I like Tim, Bruce taking up another side kick after Jason never sat completely well with me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    It should have ended with Tim. Though I'm fine with it ending with Jason as well. As much as I like Tim, Bruce taking up another side kick after Jason never sat completely well with me.
    Damian’s my favorite Robin and I agree we should’ve stopped with Tim lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I concur with others I've gotten sick of Damian's schtick but I'll also say I kind of hope there isn't a new Robin after him. If we get a sixth Robin, than that title is officially ridiculous/meaningless.
    Oh we prob will. Might not be in this decade but its gonna happen.

If we get a sixth Robin, than that title is officially ridiculous/meaningless.
    I felt that way after the third Robin.

Dick started the whole thing. Jason showed everyone how dangerous it could be. Tim learned from both and did it 'right'. Nobody since then has really added to the legacy. Tim should have just stuck with it and kept the name long into adulthood like Dick did in Earth-2.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I felt that way after the third Robin.

Dick started the whole thing. Jason showed everyone how dangerous it could be. Tim learned from both and did it 'right'. Nobody since then has really added to the legacy. Tim should have just stuck with it and kept the name long into adulthood like Dick did in Earth-2.
    Damian subverts it. Instead of adoption, it's biological, and instead of coming in learning from a kid to be a hero, his development is about unlearning assassination and try to be more like a normal kid.

Any new Robin after that would need another theme

Logically of course it should stop after Jason. Not only did bringing in a new minor ridiculous, Tim's not even an orphan, so Batman went under his legal guardian's nose, but it did happen because of brand vs story, and Robin will continue to have brand vs story hanging over them.

By this point it's already beyond ridiculous that ALL of them died or presumed dead so he really should stop taking kid sidekicks

But since everything that happened happened, the conclusion is it really should stop with Damian. Don't age him up anymore and let him be the last teen sidekick, specifically to Batman.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 12-10-2021 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Damian subverts it. Instead of adoption, it's biological, and instead of coming in learning from a kid to be a hero, his development is about unlearning assassination and try to be more like a normal kid.

Any new Robin after that would need another theme
    But that was a TERRIBLE 'theme'. It somehow suggests that adopted kids don't count as much as blood kids... which is a terrible message to promote. It doesn't add to the legacy, it diminishes it. Despite the fact he raised and trained Dick, somehow Damian is more because of a one night stand that he never knew about... ughhh...

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Logically of course it should stop after Jason. Not only did bringing in a new minor ridiculous, Tim's not even an orphan, so Batman went under his legal guardian's nose, but it did happen because of brand vs story, and Robin will continue to have brand vs story hanging over them.

By this point it's already beyond ridiculous that ALL of them died or presumed dead so he really should stop taking kid sidekicks

But since everything that happened happened, the conclusion is it really should stop with Damian. Don't age him up anymore and let him be the last teen sidekick, specifically to Batman.
    If anything, Damian shows that Batman SHOULD take more sidekicks. he needs to get them earlier. If somehow you can train a kid from birth to be a super-deadly ninja assassin by the time they're eight... than obviously 'age is just a number'. Kids can be just as powerful as adults...

Honestly, it fits Bruces psychology to train minors. He's always had that inner guilt that he couldn't do anything to save his parents... because he was a child naturally, but the guilt is still there. So now he takes young children and gives them the tools and skills to do what he couldn't back then.

And every time he sees a ten year old kick the hell out of a random mugger, it only reinforces that he COULD have done something back then had he been prepared.... It's really a self inflicting cycle.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

But that was a TERRIBLE 'theme'. It somehow suggests that adopted kids don't count as much as blood kids... which is a terrible message to promote. It doesn't add to the legacy, it diminishes it. Despite the fact he raised and trained Dick, somehow Damian is more because of a one night stand that he never knew about... ughhh...

If anything, Damian shows that Batman SHOULD take more sidekicks. he needs to get them earlier. If somehow you can train a kid from birth to be a super-deadly ninja assassin by the time they're eight... than obviously 'age is just a number'. Kids can be just as powerful as adults...

Honestly, it fits Bruces psychology to train minors. He's always had that inner guilt that he couldn't do anything to save his parents... because he was a child naturally, but the guilt is still there. So now he takes young children and gives them the tools and skills to do what he couldn't back then.

And every time he sees a ten-year-old kick the hell out of a random mugger, it only reinforces that he COULD have done something back then had he been prepared.... It's really a self inflicting cycle.
    It's only terrible if they make it terrible. While Damian is biological, his theme was that he was unwanted. Bruce didn't believe it at first, he took him out of obligation, he has no plan to make Damian Robin, he's actually annoyed that Dick made him Robin.

A Nightwing arc by Seeley defined it as the rest of the kids being the boys that Bruce chose to love, but with Damian, he's a biological one shoved to him, and Damian himself fears that Bruce loves him because of a sense of obligation, and that unlike the kids he chose, he tolerates him only because he's the blood son.

Damian, while he wants to be accepted by Bruce, chooses and prefers Dick. He chose Dick like Bruce chose Dick, Jason, and Tim.

Meanwhile, Bruce and Damian were awkward with each other and it took longer, multiple story arcs before they feel comfortable as father and son, because Bruce has trust issues and Damian has respect issues.

The found family theme still applies even with the blood theme introduced.

The one that makes it terrible, is of course DC and the writers who instead of playing with those relationships as Morrison had set up, that Tomasi and Seeley utilized according to their characters, they instead sell ROBIN SON OF BATMAN as a marketing gimmick, and use Damian in stories or adaptations because he's the blood son like it matters more, instead of the complexity I laid out above.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 12-10-2021 at 07:59 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    As much as I like Dick and Damian I find Bruce and Damian's partnership richer and more engaging.

Curious, what did you think of Bruce and Damian as batman and robin in the Titles below that explored their partnership as a more conventional Batman and Robin team?

batman / tmnt all volumes by tynion
    Tec by tomasi [Arkham Knight arc and Demon Detective arc]
    Tec Annual by taylor

I think Robin should stop at Damian.

Bruce has enough allies. Gotham is overflowing and we currently have 2 Robin why introduce another one when Tim Drake [the sidekick before Damian and Duke] is yet to graduate?
    With respect to working with Batman, I've never seen Damian executed in a satisfying way where the other Robins wouldn't have been as good or better.

Well, except once... But then he came back to life.

Jokes aside, he just doesn't offer anything valuable other than being antagonistic because modern views of Robin are that he's Bruce's surrogate son, be it a Dick or Damian.
    May we never forget:

Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    With respect to working with Batman, I've never seen Damian executed in a satisfying way where the other Robins wouldn't have been as good or better.
    Weird argument, entire Tomasi's run would have to be completely rewritten for it to work with another Robin.

Seconded.

And every time he sees a ten year old kick the hell out of a random mugger, it only reinforces that he COULD have done something back then had he been prepared.... It's really a self inflicting cycle.
    Not seconded. I think this is a take that misses the trees for the forest because there has been so many side kicks now and they are too popular to get rid of.

Bruce took in Dick because he literally saw a child go through the same trauma that he did so he was trying to help him in his own way. Back in the Bronze Age, Bruce was the first Robin and he trained under detective Harvey Harris. It made sense that Bruce would replicate the same thing with Dick whom he saw a little bit of himself in.