Page 269 of 334 FirstFirst ... 169219259265266267268269270271272273279319 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,035 of 5002
    Astonishing Member

So does DC see a commercial future in creating a Robin Corps?

They already did WAR. Every single Robin has had an ongoing. Tim may not have an ongoing now but he has headlined two separate titles. There is going to be a video game starring all the sidekicks with the majority being Robins. So the answer is yes.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    But that was a TERRIBLE 'theme'. It somehow suggests that adopted kids don't count as much as blood kids... which is a terrible message to promote. It doesn't add to the legacy, it diminishes it. Despite the fact he raised and trained Dick, somehow Damian is more because of a one night stand that he never knew about... ughhh...
    That theme doesn't have to be presented that way in every Damian story.

In Morrison's run, it was Bruce's first adopted son who actually saved and mentored Damian while being presented as a worthy successor to Bruce as Batman. Damian arrogantly dismissed Dick and Tim as being false heirs, but by the end of the run he arguably loved Dick more than his father. It definitely never floated the idea that the adopted sons had no value. Especially when the possible future of Damian as Batman depicts him failing and not being as effective as Dick.

Anyway, I think the Robin thing should have stopped at Dick. Damian is the only other one I actually like, and even then only under certain writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    ...who the hell is Crime Crusader?
    Who isn’t Crime Crusader? He’s practically everyone.
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Crime_Cru...Club_(Earth-S)

Assigning profound labels to the Big 7 is detrimental to the characters, only highlights how little they complement one another, and ultimately doesn't mean anything anyway.

We see this a lot: Superman is Hope, Wonder Woman is Truth, Batman is Justice, Green Lantern is Willpower, Flash is...something, Aquaman exists, and Martian Manhunter is there, too.
    Writers are going for the "These hero our modern myths like the gods of old," but it doesn't work.

They're meaningless platitudes that add nothing. DC loves to say Superman represents hope, but how often does that amount to more than him standing around saying hope is good without actually doing anything?
    Or when they push Wonder Woman representing Truth, which should probably mean something but never does because that would require creators to actually put effort into writing her. If she's the embodiment of Truth, shouldn't that come in handy when we get the annual "Half the League is mind-controlled into fighting each other" story arc? It won't and never does.

But the worst is when they build entire stories around these ideas and it turns into an exclusivity thing.
    How/why is Diana or anyone else any more or less hopeful than Superman? And isn't suggesting that without him, the heroes would give up and fail really insulting to all of them? Or Blackest Night, where Barry becomes a Hope Lantern & Diana becomes a Love Lantern, but Supes is stuck as a Zombie Lantern.

It's almost as if these characters were created and designed to stand on their own and not get slotted into a team.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Powergirl should have kept her post Crisis origin. Giving her back her pre Crisis origin was cool in theory but I feel it has really written the character into a dead end character wise. Instead of a somewhat important character with her own book and prominent role on major teams, she’s now essentially a minor Supergirl knock off on an alternate earth that we barely see.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Powergirl should have kept her post Crisis origin. Giving her back her pre Crisis origin was cool in theory but I feel it has really written the character into a dead end character wise. Instead of a somewhat important character with her own book and prominent role on major teams, she’s now essentially a minor Supergirl knock off on an alternate earth that we barely see.
    We were discussing that in the superman forum just this week (in the controversial opinions section). I think both origins make it harder to appreciate the character and there are much better alternatives.

I feel the same on Peege. She went from an absolute fave and top tier to wallpaper. I do not see what they gained in the comics from nixing the absolutely magnificent Linda Danvers Supergirl or Post Crisis Kara with the many nods and winks to the pre Crisis E2 origin. I don't know that either of them are in better situations.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    No, but I miss him
    Wow.

I am stunned into complete silence and bludgeoned by disbelief

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    I see. So why exactly do the writers not keep things consistent?
    I imagine that it is difficult to "invincible yet human" in today's market

Aside from getting a mystical pregnancy (a story trope that wasn't even considered good when it was done to Carol Danvers), what importance did Karen's post crisis origin give her? Her role on teams was basically being a straw feminist and being made the butt of jokes. And she sure didn't have her own ongoing with her post crisis origin.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Aside from getting a mystical pregnancy (a story trope that wasn't even considered good when it was done to Carol Danvers), what importance did Karen's post crisis origin give her? Her role on teams was basically being a straw feminist and being made the butt of jokes. And she sure didn't have her own ongoing with her post crisis origin.
    Being in prominent teams(JSA, JLE) is still more prominent then being essentially carried off into limbo.

Being in prominent teams(JSA, JLE) is still more prominent then being essentially carried off into limbo.
    Her backstory has nothing to do with her being on those teams though.

My intro to Power Girl was BoP. I just thought she was an older Supergirl and I prefer that to her actual origin. I'm fine with changing it, I'm just not sure making her Atlantean was the right move.

I’m so glad they didn’t make Duke Robin.