Page 271 of 333 FirstFirst ... 171221261267268269270271272273274275281321 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,065 of 4987

I liked I Am Not Starfire, it is a decent story for YA readers. It's sad and frustrating that it got review bombed so hard, but not really that surprising. It's ok to not find it interesting, but I saw some truly horrible comments, made by people who simply can't stand that not everything is aimed at them. It's a pity people are so childish.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    I liked I Am Not Starfire, it is a decent story for YA readers. It's sad and frustrating that it got review bombed so hard, but not really that surprising. It's ok to not find it interesting, but I saw some truly horrible comments, made by people who simply can't stand that not everything is aimed at them. It's a pity people are so childish.
    Honestly? if it was OCs it'd be closer to fine...

1: the writer took existing characters and bent them out of shape to tell a story that... didn't fit in-universe. This story CAN'T be canon to anything but it's own weird alt-U because it's THAT far out there in re-imaging the fictional setting. The writer went so far as to re-write Tamaranean biology for a surprise fight scene? dumb.

2: also I'd have personally hated the story even if it was OCs. Mandy is the villain in the story.... and I say that as someone who was a weird kid in high school who never fit in with anything ever. Mandy is the sort of person who is not worth counting as a friend. On thing I've noted in discussion is that some people think Mandy only has 2 friends, that girl she likes, and the nerdy guy... but... those two people who gave her an earful for flaking out on the softball game were also her friends.

So that's the two main reasons I think the story is terrible. It ruins the in-universe lore, and it has a main character who's unrepentantly evil and never even makes an effort to be a good person.... with the writer trying to make her out to be a good person. Um... no. If you want the character to BE seen as good, write her that way.... don't write her as a smug evil twerp who literally cares about only one person other than herself... and even then treats that person like a toy.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Which is ironic since they are generally the first to complain about something they consider childish.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

The "why doesn't Batman just throw his money at Gotham's problems" is a generally dumb critique, it is however a completely fair criticism to lob at Green Arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    The "why doesn't Batman just throw his money at Gotham's problems" is a generally dumb critique, it is however a completely fair criticism to lob at Green Arrow.
    Green Arrow is broke most of the time and usually not as rich as Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Yeah, it's the scale of Bruce Wayne's wealth in some stories that makes it so compelling an argument.

The core here is: Bruce Wayne is richer than all the mob bosses in Gotham put together: Penguin, Black Mask, all of them. The only ones NOT in a position where he could run them out of town are the ones funded by Ra'is al Ghul.

Yes, this is a side effect of Bat-god BS... but.... it's a thing that's there. Bruce Wayne is one of the richest men in the DC universe.

Bruce Wayne spends several fortunes on cars, airplanes, suits, high tech caves, exclusive gadgets and none of this is taxed. Think of how the money from those taxes could be used for public goods.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

This is kind of why I want Bruce's wealth to be scaled way the hell back in general.

He does not need to fund the JL or have thousands of vehicles, planes and mecha suits.

'I Am Not Starfire' is a simple, straight forward, out-of-continuity coming of age story that didn't deserve all the hate it got.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post

1: the writer took existing characters and bent them out of shape to tell a story that... didn't fit in-universe. This story CAN'T be canon to anything but it's own weird alt-U because it's THAT far out there in re-imaging the fictional setting. The writer went so far as to re-write Tamaranean biology for a surprise fight scene? dumb.
    It's an out of continuity story so writers are free to reinterpret characters and mythology. Even mainline canon screwy.

2: also I'd have personally hated the story even if it was OCs. Mandy is the villain in the story.... and I say that as someone who was a weird kid in high school who never fit in with anything ever. Mandy is the sort of person who is not worth counting as a friend. On thing I've noted in discussion is that some people think Mandy only has 2 friends, that girl she likes, and the nerdy guy... but... those two people who gave her an earful for flaking out on the softball game were also her friends.
    Yeaaaah, I'm pretty sure you're projecting here.

So that's the two main reasons I think the story is terrible. It ruins the in-universe lore, and it has a main character who's unrepentantly evil and never even makes an effort to be a good person.... with the writer trying to make her out to be a good person. Um... no. If you want the character to BE seen as good, write her that way.... don't write her as a smug evil twerp who literally cares about only one person other than herself... and even then treats that person like a toy.
    Yep, still projecting.

He used to be rich enough to fund the League instead of Batman.

I wonder if 'rich guy goes broke' if the best story we can tell these days with a wealthy character these days as well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    He used to be rich enough to fund the League instead of Batman.

I wonder if 'rich guy goes broke' if the best story we can tell these days with a wealthy character these days as well.
    I'm really not advocating in either direction, but it's certainly more relatable than a guy with endless monetary resources. Remember back in the Golden and Silver Age when at least half of the superheroes published were were bare minimum millionaires? I understand the wish fulfillment and the fact that you'd never have to explain away certain things, but I always thought that was super freaking weird.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Yes, but Batman (at least for the most part) doesn't present himself as the "voice of the little guy".

Astonishing Member

Yes, but Batman (at least for the most part) doesn't present himself as the "voice of the little guy".
    I think he only started doing that after he lost his fortune the first time. I don't know what his current financial situation is.

What does that have to do with him not using money he doesn't have to help the city he lives in?

There are plenty of things to call Oliver out on but this isn't one of them.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post

Just like every other writer.

Who tend to forget how powerful and skilled some characters especially those of color are.

I Am Not Starfire was NOT meant to be a in canon book neither were any of the other YA novels.

Aqualad's novel saw him with a normal boyfriend-where is he?
    Catwoman hooked up with Batwing in a novel and wasn't she Latina in another one?

So where is this gripe for canon that was never there?

Which is ironic since they are generally the first to complain about something they consider childish.
    You mean the folks who were NEVER going to read the book in the first place but needed youtube revenue and tossed out fake rage?
    The same one who will scream certain books attack them for being certain demographics yet can't point out where that happens in the books?

I could accept the complaints from those who bothered to read it and don't have agendas towards writers.