Page 282 of 334 FirstFirst ... 182232272278279280281282283284285286292332 ... LastLast
Results 4,216 to 4,230 of 5001
    Astonishing Member

I feel like all the superheroes would be better off in their own universes as it would force them to build their own mythos rather than using someone else’s as a crutch.

the supernatural characters should be apart of the Sandman Universe and seperate from the DCU.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-06-2022 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Hey, we use to get two Dianas at the same time back in the pre-CoIE days.

Yeah, but then we can't have it be a daily thing.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I feel like all the superheroes would be better off in their own universes as it would force them to build their own mythos rather than using someone else’s as a crutch.
    Being in a shared universe never prevented characters from developing their own myth is before. What changed?

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Being in a shared universe never prevented characters from developing their own myth is before. What changed?
    The frequency in which said myth became convoluted and subject to retcons and reboots in order to accommodate the shared universe. Wonder Woman is arguably DC's biggest victim of this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    John's and Lemire would disagree with you. It's not like being in a shared universe stopped them from creating the Emotional Spectrum or the Weapon clans.

The legacies have a harder time getting a mythos.Because outside of a solo their stuck being an understudy to the hero. Plus comic book time doesn't help the younger ones get out of their mentors shadow. Even then Jason Todd and Duke Thomas were given their own mythologies. So it's not impossible to create new content, it's impossible to guess what would stick.

Most of the new creations would be better off at other companies to me.

90% of Marvel and DC wouldn't be interesting without the shared universe. So I'd use it more than loose it.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-07-2022 at 11:50 AM.

there is no need for Naomi

if DC wanted to push a female Black character, they've already been sitting on a far less generic one you may have heard of, namely Vixen, for decades

Quote Originally Posted by Aarkus View Post

if DC wanted to push a female Black character, they've already been sitting on a far less generic one you may have heard of, namely Vixen, for decades
    There isn't any more need Vixen than there is Naomi. Two black women characters can exist at the same time without breaking the universe.

If they didn't care about Vixen before, why would they start now?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    There isn't any more need Vixen than there is Naomi. Two black women characters can exist at the same time without breaking the universe.
    not quite what I was getting at... I feel like giving people just another energy-blasting "tank" is a cop-out when held up to a character whose story and traits are more specifically pulled from their relative cultural background.

Naomi could be any colour or gender, and you'd still have "just-another-generic-superhero"
    Last edited by Aarkus; 02-07-2022 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    If they didn't care about Vixen before, why would they start now?
    I wonder how you ignore someone as dunamic as Empress as well. Look at how crazy people went for Nightcrawler in X2s opening scene. Empress provides that at a minimum but raised exponentially since she has soooooooooo much more going for her

extrapolating from my previous statement:

DC needs to stop letting middle-aged white dudes create characters of colour

Leave it to creators who have a better handle on the cultures and communities you are trying to represent

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I wonder how you ignore someone as dunamic as Empress as well. Look at how crazy people went for Nightcrawler in X2s opening scene. Empress provides that at a minimum but raised exponentially since she has soooooooooo much more going for her
    Empress was cool and I wished they did more with her. I guess she debuted at the wrong time.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-07-2022 at 09:19 PM.

not quite what I was getting at... I feel like giving people just another energy-blasting "tank" is a cop-out when held up to a character whose story and traits are more specifically pulled from their relative cultural background.

Naomi could be any colour or gender, and you'd still have "just-another-generic-superhero"
    If you focus solely on a superhero's powerset, any of them could come across as just another generic superhero.

And using a character's cultural background for their stories is not going to make for a good character in and of itself. Never mind that Mari's culture is fictional.

Leave it to creators who have a better handle on the cultures and communities you are trying to represent
    You do realize the irony of saying this while insisting that Vixen should be pushed over Naomi, right?

I don't disagree with this. It's a problem of recruiting writers.

The imprints like Zoom/Ink/Black Label would help more. You could use them as a testing ground for talent and characters. Get some Latinx YA author to revamp El Dorado or Vibe for modern audiences.

NK jemisin did a GL book instead if Vixen because that's what she was recruited for. Marvel and DC tend to pitch writers titles/characters than the other way around. So I guess the bigger issue is recruiting writers and what titles are being given to them.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-08-2022 at 08:47 AM.