Page 283 of 334 FirstFirst ... 183233273279280281282283284285286287293333 ... LastLast
Results 4,231 to 4,245 of 5002

Going back to a well that has worked before isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Going back to a well that has worked before isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    I mean, other than rebooting things in the first place, isn't this the other thing DC is best known for?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I don't disagree with this. It's a problem of recruiting writers.

The imprints like Zoom/Ink/Black Label would help more. You could use them as a testing ground for talent and characters. Get some Latinx YA author to revamp El Dorado or Vibe for modern audiences.

NK jemisin did a GL book instead if Vixen because that's what she was recruited for. Marvel and DC tend to pitch writers titles/characters than the other way around. So I guess the bigger issue is recruiting writers and what titles are being given to them.
    Heh, if you define Jewish people as POC, then several of the industry legends were just that. And well, also true of Hispanic if we're being honest here.

Quote Originally Posted by Aarkus View Post
    extrapolating from my previous statement:

DC needs to stop letting middle-aged white dudes create characters of colour

Leave it to creators who have a better handle on the cultures and communities you are trying to represent
    In a general sense I agree. Now, I don't have a problem with a writer writing characters who don't fit their particular demo; you don't *have* to be black, or gay, or latino, or white or male or female, or whatever, to write characters who are. But it sure as hell helps, and this particular industry would benefit from that first hand experience a lot. I always support PoC writing PoC, or LBGT or Jewish or what have you. Just for that extra dash of authenticity. But I don't think it's "necessary."

But in regards to Naomi, I really do not agree with some of y'all. Bendis created Naomi with David F Walker, who I'm pretty sure is a black man, and Naomi's home life is very much a mirror of the Bendis family, which is mixed. So she *is* a character where the writers have first hand experience with her particular demographic (or at least close). I believe her artist, Campbell, is a man of color as well, so that whole argument just doesn't apply. Now, if someone were to complain that Bendis gets most/all of the credit for Naomi and Walker doesn't get his due? I'd agree with that.

And anyone who says we don't need Naomi probably didn't read the book, because it was one of the best things DC did in 2019. And I'm all for Vixen getting some love, as well as Dr. Light and Fire and all the other fantastic characters in DC's roster who happen to be women, PoC, or both. But there's not a limit on this; Naomi being a thing isn't the reason Vixen doesn't get used and if Naomi didn't exist Vixen would still be ignored because DC, for whatever foolish dumb reasons, don't see her value. And that's a damn shame because Vixen is great, but let's not blame one black female character for the problems of another black female.

If someone read Naomi and didn't like it, cool. Not every character is for everyone. Don't read her. But saying she shouldn't exist because of personal preference? Yeah, we had enough of that with Dan Didio, thanks.
    Last edited by Ascended; 02-08-2022 at 03:08 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Heh, if you define Jewish people as POC, then several of the industry legends were just that. And well, also true of Hispanic if we're being honest here.
    I'm not discounting that. I'm just saying putting a Latinx writer to revamp Vibe or El Dorado is more practical. I'm south Asian, I wouldn't mind working on either but if they pass me on it it's not a big deal.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-08-2022 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I mean, other than rebooting things in the first place, isn't this the other thing DC is best known for?
    Not really, no.

Extraordinary Member

Not really, no.
    Eh, maybe prior COIE, but today...
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aarkus View Post
    extrapolating from my previous statement:

DC needs to stop letting middle-aged white dudes create characters of colour

Leave it to creators who have a better handle on the cultures and communities you are trying to represent
    Some of the worst folks for characters of color can and tend to be folks who claim to have better handles on cultures and communities.

Part of the issue with leaving it to certain creators based on race to do said POC-is you can get some of the WORST or LIMITED material.

New 52 Static Shock and DC You/Rebirth Cyborg had a black editor and those were among the worst books at DC. And that editor chased off all those writers including David Walker and told Marc Bernardin that he could not write. Marvel, Image, Stephen King and Star Trek seem to have no issue with his writing.

A lot of the issues are editorial related.

Because if you look at some of those white dudes books starring POC at OTHER companies it's night and day.

See Boom's Blood Parish, Tyninion's books, Shadowman and some of the Aftershock books.

Eh, maybe prior COIE, but today...
    Today…..still no.

Extraordinary Member

Today…..still no.
    I mean, I love DC, but even more than Marvel, nostalgia is the company's bread and butter asides from Batman. Don't get me wrong, there were more misses than hits with the New 52, but I've never seen a fanbase so resistant to change as DC readers. It's probably why Geoff Johns is so popular among it's fans The guy just basically rewrites his favorite stories from his childhood and just adds more decapitations to make them feel more "mature."

And this is coming from someone who's currently reading more DC than Marvel, so it's entirely likely that I'm part of the problem, too (although I am no fan of Geoff Johns).

I mean the change that they usually go for is what sucks.
    I’d rather them play their cards so close to the chest for the next 1,000 years than see who else is running around calling themselves “Batman”.

I mean, I love DC, but even more than Marvel, nostalgia is the company's bread and butter asides from Batman. Don't get me wrong, there were more misses than hits with the New 52, but I've never seen a fanbase so resistant to change as DC readers. It's probably why Geoff Johns is so popular among it's fans The guy just basically rewrites his favorite stories from his childhood and just adds more decapitations to make them feel more "mature."

And this is coming from someone who's currently reading more DC than Marvel, so it's entirely likely that I'm part of the problem, too (although I am no fan of Geoff Johns).
    I didn't immediately hate new52, but... I utterly loathe continuity revamps as a concept.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Some of the worst folks for characters of color can and tend to be folks who claim to have better handles on cultures and communities.

Part of the issue with leaving it to certain creators based on race to do said POC-is you can get some of the WORST or LIMITED material.

New 52 Static Shock and DC You/Rebirth Cyborg had a black editor and those were among the worst books at DC. And that editor chased off all those writers including David Walker and told Marc Bernardin that he could not write. Marvel, Image, Stephen King and Star Trek seem to have no issue with his writing.

A lot of the issues are editorial related.

Because if you look at some of those white dudes books starring POC at OTHER companies it's night and day.

See Boom's Blood Parish, Tyninion's books, Shadowman and some of the Aftershock books.
    As an old saying goes "you write what you know".

Incredible Member

I'm not sure how popular Geoff Johns is to be honest.

Do some people love his stuff? Sure.

I mean DC has a wide fanbase, in which opinions are all over the map.

But a lot of us are not fans of his.

I've never seen a fanbase so resistant to change as DC readers.
    Don't fix what isn't broken.

I wouldn't have read so many new earth comics if I didn't like the continuity.