Page 287 of 334 FirstFirst ... 187237277283284285286287288289290291297 ... LastLast
Results 4,291 to 4,305 of 5006

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    No. People will still say that they're too similar. If the look above is not pleasing, maybe they could use this one, and call him "Professor Speedy ShortPaints".

After all, those looks were created for Barry and are distinctively his, no need to try to ape post-Crisis Flash with his cool v-belt and all.
    I just see it as Barry and Wally have their own distinct Flash designs already in the comics.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I just see it as Barry and Wally have their own distinct Flash designs already in the comics.
    I know Frontier. I'm quite the Flash (and Flash suit) connoisseur as I'm sure you know. I'm just making a point about how this discussion "sounds".
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Wally can be flash. Other people use the same name.

Jay Garrick is the real Flash. Alan Scott is the real Green Lantern, I don't hear people complaining about Barry and Hal using those names even thought they weren't the first
    Exactly. I am so glad someone remembers this!

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Wally can be flash. Other people use the same name.

Jay Garrick is the real Flash. Alan Scott is the real Green Lantern, I don't hear people complaining about Barry and Hal using those names even thought they weren't the first
    Exactly. I am so glad someone remembers this!
    But it's not 100% accurate to old-time (pre-CoIE) readers.

Jay and Alan may have pre-dated Barry and Hal, but back when they first introduced Barry and Hal (and even Ray), Jay, Alan and Al were not from the same Earth. Barry knew them as fictional characters in comic book stories he read, so Barry choosing to go by "The Flash" was not taking the name of a previous hero from his own Earth.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Yes, thanks.

Wally is the Flash. He works best at the Flash and is the character that best works as the Flash.

People concerned about "differentiating him and Barry" should champion the bellow look along the name "Profeessor Speedy ShortSleeves" for Barry.

I love that name and costume
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

I'm not sure if a Moderator should be introducing controversial opinions, especially opinions which might break the internet, let alone CBR, but I'm going to do it anyway. Although I love the JSA, I think, with the exception of stories taking place in WWII, its time is over. Back in the 1960s, when the JSA and their various members began popping up in the DC Universe as part of Earth 2, they were in their 40s and having them appear as slightly older hereoes was not crazy, but in the 2020s, over 70 years siince WWII began, it just doesn't work. Some of the JSA members may be immortal because of magic, but the bulk are just ordinary guys with a power. I would have no problem -- in fact, I'd love it -- if DC did a book akin to All Star Squadron, but I suspect that it would not sell or, at least, that DC would not have faith that it would sell. So the best I see for the JSA is occassional World War II adventures in limited series, which I'd love. But there should be no teamups with modern day heroes despite the existence of time travel. You don't want the JSA to know who won WWII.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

We need a second volume of Wednesday Comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I'm not sure if a Moderator should be introducing controversial opinions, especially opinions which might break the internet, let alone CBR, but I'm going to do it anyway. Although I love the JSA, I think, with the exception of stories taking place in WWII, its time is over. Back in the 1960s, when the JSA and their various members began popping up in the DC Universe as part of Earth 2, they were in their 40s and having them appear as slightly older hereoes was not crazy, but in the 2020s, over 70 years siince WWII began, it just doesn't work. Some of the JSA members may be immortal because of magic, but the bulk are just ordinary guys with a power. I would have no problem -- in fact, I'd love it -- if DC did a book akin to All Star Squadron, but I suspect that it would not sell or, at least, that DC would not have faith that it would sell. So the best I see for the JSA is occassional World War II adventures in limited series, which I'd love. But there should be no teamups with modern day heroes despite the existence of time travel. You don't want the JSA to know who won WWII.
    You're killing me, Sandy, but I'm glad to see you join the discussion even if it means we're at odds in the war for the JSA. Know that when I triumph and get them back in the modern day on clutter Earth, my preening will not be personal. Mostly.
    Last edited by Robanker; 03-06-2022 at 02:29 AM.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    We need a second volume of Wednesday Comics.

You're killing me, Sandy, but I'm glad to see you join the discussion even if it means we're at odds in the war for the JSA. Know that when I triumph and get them back in the modern day on clutter Earth, my preening will not be personal. Mostly.
    This thread is for controversial opinions, right?

That being said, if you're right, I will likely buy the book.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But it's not 100% accurate to old-time (pre-CoIE) readers.

Jay and Alan may have pre-dated Barry and Hal, but back when they first introduced Barry and Hal (and even Ray), Jay, Alan and Al were not from the same Earth. Barry knew them as fictional characters in comic book stories he read, so Barry choosing to go by "The Flash" was not taking the name of a previous hero from his own Earth.
    That is a mighty fine hair to elect to parse. And upon doing so, we don't diminish what Jabare points out, which is that Jay and Allan are the firsts.

I don't think the JSA's time has passed. I think trying to reboot them as 'younger hipper' versions in the Nu52 was ill advised and lead to many of their current problems.

What the JSA needs is a believable, timeless explanation for their longevity like Cap being trapped in ice for decades. Previous explanation like 'slow aging due to being bathed in Ian Karkull's energy' felt like a band aid rather than a permanent solution.

I would settle for something as simple as the JSA being trapped in Ragnarok with a few of them like Ted, Dinah, Larry Lance, Johnny Quick, Libby Lawrence along with some villains like Sportsmaster and Huntress managing to escape the dimension to a period that was 20 years before Superman and Batman showed up. The rest are freed later by the JLA and while to them, it felt like it was month, in reality, decades have passed in real time and even their friends are now old.

Even though it's unlikely now, I think what the JSA needs is what James Robinson did with Starman; pick one character and just write the hell out of their mythology and as a consequence revitalize the whole franchise. There is potential, especially with the younger cast. Stargirl would be a good pick. There is also the mother and daughter team of Dinah Drake and Dinah Lance. Todd Rice is gay and mentally ill, lots of potential to appeal to the YA generation of readers. Jade is green and inherited her father's Starheart. Sandy Hawkins was accidentally turned into a monster then mistakenly imprisoned and after he was brought back, he started having prophetic dreams. Power Girl is the last survivor of her world. Hector Hall was born without a soul and felt ignored by his father. Like I said, lots of potential, DC just needs to give writers room to start digging into these characters and their conflicts.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Spectacular Member

I think this opinion was already been said. But without Didio, we will never had the Rebirth have Wally West in Infinite Frontier era.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I don't think the JSA's time has passed. I think trying to reboot them as 'younger hipper' versions in the Nu52 was ill advised and lead to many of their current problems.

What the JSA needs is a believable, timeless explanation for their longevity like Cap being trapped in ice for decades. Previous explanation like 'slow aging due to being bathed in Ian Karkull's energy' felt like a band aid rather than a permanent solution.

I would settle for something as simple as the JSA being trapped in Ragnarok with a few of them like Ted, Dinah, Larry Lance, Johnny Quick, Libby Lawrence along with some villains like Sportsmaster and Huntress managing to escape the dimension to a period that was 20 years before Superman and Batman showed up. The rest are freed later by the JLA and while to them, it felt like it was month, in reality, decades have passed in real time and even their friends are now old.

Even though it's unlikely now, I think what the JSA needs is what James Robinson did with Starman; pick one character and just write the hell out of their mythology and as a consequence revitalize the whole franchise. There is potential, especially with the younger cast. Stargirl would be a good pick. There is also the mother and daughter team of Dinah Drake and Dinah Lance. Todd Rice is gay and mentally ill, lots of potential to appeal to the YA generation of readers. Jade is green and inherited her father's Starheart. Sandy Hawkins was accidentally turned into a monster then mistakenly imprisoned and after he was brought back, he started having prophetic dreams. Power Girl is the last survivor of her world. Hector Hall was born without a soul and felt ignored by his father. Like I said, lots of potential, DC just needs to give writers room to start digging into these characters and their conflicts.
    The Ragnarok concept works best for me. Obviously they wouldn't abandon their families, so they'd bring them along and just get jettisoned out 5-10 years prior to current day where Superman's generation has already been operating for a little while.

Some should not have gone. Dinah, Ted Knight, Doctor Fate... but most should.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

That DC can't think of anything interesting for Superwoman that has nothing to do with who she's sleeping with is indicative of just how lousy they are at writing female villains by and large.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

See, I can get on board the idea of a teen JSA IF the old JSA is their mentors and stuff. I used to read the old Stargirl comic, and that was kinda where they went with it. It worked out ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That DC can't think of anything interesting for Superwoman that has nothing to do with who she's sleeping with is indicative of just how lousy they are at writing female villains by and large.
    To be honest, I think you have a point