Page 318 of 333 FirstFirst ... 218268308314315316317318319320321322328 ... LastLast
Results 4,756 to 4,770 of 4994

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Any known good fanfics or completed art? I need a DC Fix and am not really getting it from the current line
    Legion of Super-Heroes Fanfic

and here's some art.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    I read some (admittedly out-of-context) panles of Flashpoint beyond where Johns tried to redescribe the hyper-mega-timeline-verse yet again and got a headache.
    Oof. Yeah, the Divine Continuum. Get it? D C?!

Geoff Johns:

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Thanks so much! These are awesome!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    DC should do with Geoff Johns what they did with Frank Miller and declare everything he'll write from now on is it's own private continuity.

Let him have is own hyper-literal universe of convoluted lore on top of lore that constantly references the Silver Age (but with angst & trauma). No one grows old, everyone's miserable, Wonder Woman stays in the corner where she belongs, and everything is on-the-nose metatext.
    Actually, this is kind of perfect. And I'm absolutely here for it.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

If jenkins makes another movie with a super weak Diana. Then i will be very happy if Wonder Woman 3 flops. And i hope to never see WW in movies again. If she is going to be a lame pathetic weaklink that can't do#### with her own powers without help and gear.

As someone who liked pre-Flashpoint DC more than post-Flashpoint, I will never understand what people ever saw in the original Maxima. This is a character defined entirely by who she was sleeping with or wanted to sleep with, at a time when that sort of thing was considered outdated. Post-Flashpoint Maxima wasn't my favorite character, but she certainly wasn't written any worse than the original one.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    As someone who liked pre-Flashpoint DC more than post-Flashpoint, I will never understand what people ever saw in the original Maxima. This is a character defined entirely by who she was sleeping with or wanted to sleep with, at a time when that sort of thing was considered outdated. Post-Flashpoint Maxima wasn't my favorite character, but she certainly wasn't written any worse than the original one.
    Maxima was never a good character, a certain subset of fans got mad because their 'fanservice' character became less fanservicey.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Maxima was never a good character, a certain subset of fans got mad because their 'fanservice' character became less fanservicey.
    Enh.... it's a different sort of opponent than the "random warlord of the week" aliens Superman usually deals with. It's boring if every opponent has the same goals.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Enh.... it's a different sort of opponent than the "random warlord of the week" aliens Superman usually deals with. It's boring if every opponent has the same goals.
    A female villain who's sexually obsessed with the hero isn't exactly a unique concept either.

A female villain who's sexually obsessed with the hero isn't exactly a unique concept either.
    True, but it's not something that can only be solved by the hero turning up their powers to eleven and smashing it into pieces. At least, it shouldn't be.

Maxima was the first time I ever saw a woman ruler seeking mate to make an heir for intergalactic empire. I had seen stories where a guy was doing that and the girl was just birthing vessel in those stories. One I recall being especially mean spirited was THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL or something like that.

With Maxima, the shoe was on the other foot and she was not only insanely powerful but her people's tech and position was unusual as well.

There were absolutely appearances where Maxima's libido and awful fanservice sex appeal (or whatever the hell you'd call it) was her driving motivation and she was a bad character, yes. But dig a little deeper, read her quality appearances, and you find a much more interesting thing; a ruthless queen and politician serving her empire. A culture rooted in ambition, lust, and violence. If Thanagar and Tamaran had a feral love child it'd be Almerac. When written well, Maxima is friend and foe simultaneously and can be fun and compelling. She's a space Lannister, except without the incest and not quite so despicable. And yeah when it came time to produce an heir Maxima was more than happy to recruit the handsome and rugged Kryptonian instead of, say, the crass and disgusting Czarnian or the slimy and weird shapeshifting Martian. But the ruling bloodline is carefully cultivated, designed to create the most powerful ruler possible. If Lobo or J'onn looked like a better genetic match, Maxima would've been knocking on their doors instead. And we can't begrudge a woman of duty actually being happy about doing that duty, can we?

Perhaps, you think, we Maxima fans are reading between the lines too much, and seeing in her things that the page doesn't actually support. And I'll concede that there are plenty of things about Almerac and Maxima that are barely footnotes, leaving a lot of things undefined. And there's a ton of plain bad writing layered over a lot of Max's stuff too. But there's gold in that character, man. Game of Thrones meets Star Wars. And Maxima shoots first.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    There were absolutely appearances where Maxima's libido and awful fanservice sex appeal (or whatever the hell you'd call it) was her driving motivation and she was a bad character, yes. But dig a little deeper, read her quality appearances, and you find a much more interesting thing; a ruthless queen and politician serving her empire. A culture rooted in ambition, lust, and violence. If Thanagar and Tamaran had a feral love child it'd be Almerac. When written well, Maxima is friend and foe simultaneously and can be fun and compelling. She's a space Lannister, except without the incest and not quite so despicable. And yeah when it came time to produce an heir Maxima was more than happy to recruit the handsome and rugged Kryptonian instead of, say, the crass and disgusting Czarnian or the slimy and weird shapeshifting Martian. But the ruling bloodline is carefully cultivated, designed to create the most powerful ruler possible. If Lobo or J'onn looked like a better genetic match, Maxima would've been knocking on their doors instead. And we can't begrudge a woman of duty actually being happy about doing that duty, can we?

Perhaps, you think, we Maxima fans are reading between the lines too much, and seeing in her things that the page doesn't actually support. And I'll concede that there are elements of Almerac and Maxima that are barely footnote mentions, leaving a lot of things undefined. And there's a ton of plain bad writing layered over a lot of Max's stuff too. But there's gold in that character, man. Game of Thrones meets Star Wars. And Maxima shoots first.
    Oh hey by the way I asked PKJ about Maxima during a Q&A and he was very enthusiastic about using her. Said he wants to get around to her sometime. I summarized his response back in the PKJ thread over on the Superman forum if you want to read it, you’d have to go back some pages.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Oh hey by the way I asked PKJ about Maxima during a Q&A and he was very enthusiastic about using her. Said he wants to get around to her sometime. I summarized his response back in the PKJ thread over on the Superman forum if you want to read it, you’d have to go back some pages.
    Sweet, I missed that in the thread so thanks for letting me know!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    True, but it's not something that can only be solved by the hero turning up their powers to eleven and smashing it into pieces. At least, it shouldn't be.
    There are plenty of other ways to create a villain that can't be beaten through sheer force alone that don't require said villain lusting after the hero.