Page 328 of 334 FirstFirst ... 228278318324325326327328329330331332 ... LastLast
Results 4,906 to 4,920 of 5001

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Because they weren't doing sex pirates thing every weekend. I might not remember it right, but I think it was something that happened once every generation and not everyone participated.
    Hmm...yeah, that sounds right?

Still, doesn't strike me as the kind of civilization that would push to instill Diana's values in their royalty.

Still a fun run regardless.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Jay Garrick should have a chin strap to keep his helmet from flying off.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Jay Garrick should have a chin strap to keep his helmet from flying off.
    Can't he use internal vibrations to keep it in place?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Because they weren't doing sex pirates thing every weekend. I might not remember it right, but I think it was something that happened once every generation and not everyone participated.
    She seemed pretty used to their hostile attitude towards the mere presence of a penis on their island, and wasn't as shocked by the revelation of the raids as you would think.

I think she was pretty aware of what they were like.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Hmm...yeah, that sounds right?

Still, doesn't strike me as the kind of civilization that would push to instill Diana's values in their royalty.
    It was mostly done to make Diana more likeable to male audiences because she was more chill than those other feminists who are hostile caricatures.

Perez sort of did something similar with the Bana Amazons. While that carried some unfortunate implications (the faction of savage Amazons is the dark skinned ones), he executed it in away that made them have more nuance than what we got with Azzarello's.

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

1)JSA, SHAZAM family, Vertigo and WildStorm should be characters should be on a separate earth from the Earth 0 which would make an incredible series animated or printed.

2) Sell Fawcett & Wildstorm to Marvel because DC hasn't got a clue what to do with them

3) Trade Barbara Gordon to Marvel for Jessica Drew both characters would shine

The first one could happen but the second & third should happen, sorry about saying the M word
    Last edited by Captain Britain of Earth 20; 08-22-2023 at 10:37 AM.
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Britain of Earth 20 View Post
    . . . 2) Sell Fawcett & Wildstorm to Marvel because DC hasn't got a clue what to do with them . . .
    You think Marvel Comics would do any better?

They've got enough of their own properties to play with / mis-use.

And they have plenty of unused characters and past acquisitions just sitting in limbo.

Young Justice's handling of the Arrow family beats just about any adaptation and most of the comics.

Incredible Member

In a world with some of the most powerful and fantastical superheroes in comics DC writers and DC fans are surprisingly unacceptable of things challenging those heroes. What I mean by that is when the DC universe goes against things like vampires, werewolves, and godzilla. Fans, at least on this forum, seem to hate that stuff and say that X heroes are too powerful or should be immune to certain things when I really think it's all about execution.

For instance, the whole DC vs Vampires is a cool scenario. My biggest issue with it is that DC seems to think there is no real threat unless heroes have been turned or are the major antagonist in these stories. But fans saying Superman shouldn't be turned because he's super strong and is powered by the sun have no imagination. Someone in a thread had brought up that there was actually a cosmic vampire that the Justice League fought and that seems pretty cool. They could just create a stronger vampire that feeds off energy rather than blood, or make it an eldritch vampire the breaks the minds of people and controls them. Why must vampire stay at a base/weak level when half the DC heroes can destroy the earth without even trying?

The same thing is happening with Godzilla right now. People saying Godzilla is not a threat to the DC universe and Superman would just throw him in space, when there are multiple avenues you could explore. You could say this Godzilla is powered by the fire of Apocalypse, modified to be super durable by Darkseid, and sent to earth to destroyed it. Fans won't even entertain the notion of a challenge for these heroes.

Really I think it's about the execution of how these ideas work that's the problem. DCeased had a pretty cool interpretation of how everyone was turning into zombies. DC mech also how a cool concept about why everyone needed one. If more people were arguing about execution, and some people were, then I could understand. But reading through the threads would have you believe nothing should ever be a challenge unless Darkseid himself showed up, which feels a little boring. I bet if there was ever a DC werewolves fans would not be interested. There is so much inspiration and ideas out there that would be cool scenario in the DC universe that fans wouldn't except because X monster shouldn't here this or that character or X character would defeat this monster in seconds. My only wish is that they would stop making Heores incompetent when it came to this different monsters while still making them credible threats.

TLDR, better execution is needed for when the DC Universe faces off against the unsual enemies

Among the Trinity franchises, Superman is the best when it comes to non-white characters despite having relatively few of them.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Among the Trinity franchises, Superman is the best when it comes to non-white characters despite having relatively few of them.
    I guess bringing Steel back 30 years later is better late than never. I don't know if the superman franchise is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    I guess bringing Steel back 30 years later is better late than never. I don't know if the superman franchise is the best.
    When it comes to DC as a whole? No.

When it comes to just the Trinity? Absolutely.

Keep in mind I'm also taking into account how these non-white characters are written not just how often they appear.

Incredible Member

When it comes to DC as a whole? No.

When it comes to just the Trinity? Absolutely.

Keep in mind I'm also taking into account how these non-white characters are written not just how often they appear.
    That's fair. Would you mind giving some examples?

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Young Justice's handling of the Arrow family beats just about any adaptation and most of the comics.
    So agree but I really like Green Arrow so far & looking forward to next issue

Best new 52 series was Grayson & best mini series was Huntress & I am not a Bat fan whatsoever
    Last edited by red winter; 09-14-2023 at 06:43 AM.
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    That's fair. Would you mind giving some examples?
    John Henry Irons and Natasha Irons are the obvious examples in the Superman franchise's favor. There is also Kenan Kong and the Asian counterpart heroes created by Gene Yang. Andrea Rojas (aka Acrata) was great in her limited appearances (sadly adaptations haven't quite done her justice).

The Batman franchise is the second best among the Trinity franchises. Cassandra Cain has the longest running solo comic led by a female minority character at DC and for a time, it was for the Big 2 as a whole before Kamala Khan surpassed her. Unfortunately, DC decided to piss away the good will by turning her evil and trying to bury her for the sake of nostalgia pandering. There is also the death of Orpheus King during the War Games event, which was greatly overshadowed by Stephanie Brown's death and has yet to be reversed unlike the former. There is also the oriental nightmare that is the Al Ghuls whose unfortunate implications have only increased in the 2010s. There is also the racist inaccuracies and fetishization regarding the retcon of Dick's Romani background and how writers especially handle women of color when they are interested in him.

Wonder Woman, as much as I hate to say it, is the worst of the three when it comes to non-white characters. Egg Fu and I-Ching are laughably racist jokes, with the former seeing continued use for reasons that utterly escape me. The racism in how the Bana Migdhall are handled is a black mark on George Perez's mostly stellar contributions to the Wonder Woman mythos and have only gotten worse. Not helped by how the most heroic and developed of them is the very white Artemis. DC couldn't even keep Akila, one of the few interesting Bana, as a hero.

Yara Flor was a step in the right direction when it came to diversity but Joelle Jones seriously dropped the ball with her lack of interest or research for the character's Brazilian Indigenous background.

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by red winter View Post

Best new 52 series was Grayson & best mini series was Huntress & I am not a Bat fan whatsoever
    Pretty much true, Grayson was an incredible spy book wish he would have stayed a spy as for the Helena Wayne Huntress formerly know as Robin as much as I hate 2 say it she's more interesting than the original pre-crisis version Batman knew & trained her to be Robin
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse