Page 36 of 333 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Having Hawkgirl constantly talk about how she's linked to Carter and has loved him through time, yet constantly chasing everyone BUT him wherever she shows up, is getting old. DC needs to "finish or get off the pot," so to speak. Either drop the reincarnating lovers element (which may be happening in the current run of Hawkman, but I'm going to assume it's not given some developments) or actually develop it. At this point her narrative is that she fights her fate to be with Carter by picking a different partner, which if that's what DC really wants to do, but then why not just drop the whole thing to begin with? If she's going to be fighting fate, one would hope it's by not doing the same thing she did in the animated series, the pre-Flashpoint iteration of the character and now in Snyder's Justice League.

I just don't get it. You're swapping her predetermined love for Carter into a predetermined need to love anyone but Carter. It's a wash. Just absolve them of the fate cycle or embrace it and let the Hawks fly in tandem again.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess he has to be V3 (Although I guess in sequence Bart would be V3) .
    Jay is a Tobei Tachibana who can henshin into a Kamen Rider.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Mighty Member

I think the DCU should focus on more of the world outside of America and they should start with worldbuilding in Wonder Woman since most of her non greek myth villians are war criminals of some kind.

Incredible Member

Beast Boy is one of the most versatile heroes in DC and is heavily underutilized.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Having Hawkgirl constantly talk about how she's linked to Carter and has loved him through time, yet constantly chasing everyone BUT him wherever she shows up, is getting old. DC needs to "finish or get off the pot," so to speak. Either drop the reincarnating lovers element (which may be happening in the current run of Hawkman, but I'm going to assume it's not given some developments) or actually develop it. At this point her narrative is that she fights her fate to be with Carter by picking a different partner, which if that's what DC really wants to do, but then why not just drop the whole thing to begin with? If she's going to be fighting fate, one would hope it's by not doing the same thing she did in the animated series, the pre-Flashpoint iteration of the character and now in Snyder's Justice League.

I just don't get it. You're swapping her predetermined love for Carter into a predetermined need to love anyone but Carter. It's a wash. Just absolve them of the fate cycle or embrace it and let the Hawks fly in tandem again.
    I don't get why there's so much resistance to seeing Hawkman and Hawkgirl together.

I guess it's because Snyder is basing his stuff a lot on the DCAU where Hawkgirl was independent, and Robert Venditti is writing Hawkman's solo and just ask a lot of GL fans how we feel about his handling of female characters (or lack there of of major female characters).
    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Jay is a Tobei Tachibana who can henshin into a Kamen Rider.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I can buy that .

I guess it's because Snyder is basing his stuff a lot on the DCAU where Hawkgirl was independent, and Robert Venditti is writing Hawkman's solo and just ask a lot of GL fans how we feel about his handling of female characters (or lack there of of major female characters).
    So which regular DC writers are good at writing female characters? (Or at least more than one of them.)

We can lower the bar a bit and not demand being able to write Wonder Woman well.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by josai21 View Post
    Another controversial opinion:

Young Justice (the tv series) is only a good story for people who are familiar DC comics. It's a bad story with numerous plot holes and plot threads that are never resolved.
    That's a hard one for me to evaluate or critique because I do have such a long acquaintance with the show's roots. Do you feel the same about Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes?

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    So which regular DC writers are good at writing female characters? (Or at least more than one of them.)

We can lower the bar a bit and not demand being able to write Wonder Woman well.
    Joshua Williamson does fine with female characters in my opinion.

I also don't think Synder is bad with them either, for the most part.

Does Tim Seeley count as a "regular DC writer?" If so, I'd put him down.

Bendis is hit-and-miss depending on which female character he's working on.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Yeah, Seeley's great with this which is why he's one of my favorite current writers. Particularly in his non-big two titles, he seems to mostly write female leads, all of whom are varied. Williamson is also solid, he hasn't done anything yet that stands out as bad.

I don't know if he counts as a regular DC writer anymore, but Rucka is an obvious mention. And his Wonder Woman work aside, I think Morrison does well by female characters. He just tends to write EVERYBODY as over the top and weird anyway. And as flawed as his WW stuff is, his WW-centric story is an elseworld, and it all has precedent in the era he's drawing from. So even with that I think he's fine, if not perfect.

Haven't read any of Williamson's, but Frostbite looks interesting. I wasn't impressed with the one story that I've read by Seeley, but then it didn't have a female lead or co-lead, so I can't say anything when it comes to this particular question.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I don't know if he counts as a regular DC writer anymore, but Rucka is an obvious mention. And his Wonder Woman work aside, I think Morrison does well by female characters. He just tends to write EVERYBODY as over the top and weird anyway. And as flawed as his WW stuff is, his WW-centric story is an elseworld, and it all has precedent in the era he's drawing from. So even with that I think he's fine, if not perfect.
    I'm liberal with the use of the word "regular" here, so Rucka definitely counts. Unlike you, I would hold Wonder Woman: Earth One against Morrison in this regard, because of the way he approached the rest of the women in the book.

I do think that Tynion is a good example, though, based on his work with Zatanna and Wonder Woman in JLD.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I do think that Tynion is a good example, though, based on his work with Zatanna and Wonder Woman in JLD.
    He also wrote a great Batwoman (who I felt was written much stronger and more convincing then his Batman) and some of the other women in 'Tec even if I think he could've handled Steph or Cass a little better.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    That's a hard one for me to evaluate or critique because I do have such a long acquaintance with the show's roots. Do you feel the same about Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes?
    I actually haven’t seen Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes.

My sister doesn’t read the comics but enjoyed the Teen Titans/JLU/BTAS tv shows and loved first season of YJ. Second season she enjoyed but I had to spend time explaining different characters and such. She dropped season 3, 4 episodes in because she felt so lost.

Quote Originally Posted by josai21 View Post
    I actually haven’t seen Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes.

My sister doesn’t read the comics but enjoyed the Teen Titans/JLU/BTAS tv shows and loved first season of YJ. Second season she enjoyed but I had to spend time explaining different characters and such. She dropped season 3, 4 episodes in because she felt so lost.
    That's legit.

I really loved Young Justice Season 1... I thought season 2 kind of sucked. They had such a great momentum and story and characters that first go around that they just seemed to abandon to break up the team, change the premise and introduce a ton of new characters. The time jump really hurt that show for me. Season 3 looks like they did the same thing again.

I think the worst part is... they WANT you to feel lost when the new seasons begin.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I'm in kind of the same boat.. it's tough to find Marvel or DC characters I don't recognize,. but EMH seemed to a better job of keeping the teams small and introducing the characters individually. YJ just seems to throw a bunch of characters into the team as background characters that are awesome if you already know them... but if you don't?? I imagine that would be confusing.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I'm in kind of the same boat.. it's tough to find Marvel or DC characters I don't recognize,. but EMH seemed to a better job of keeping the teams small and introducing the characters individually. YJ just seems to throw a bunch of characters into the team as background characters that are awesome if you already know them... but if you don't?? I imagine that would be confusing.
    That's probably fair. I can see where a newbie would get dizzy in S2. S1, I thought, did an adequate job of letting us get to know the central cast. Ironically, if anybody was shortchanged on personal story, it was probably the most famous, Robin.