Page 40 of 333 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

DC needs to fix some of the problems plaguing their heroes before shilling for their villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    Not really, it's been a ongoing thing.
    Yeah, I mean look at Suicide Squad's ad campaign going "time to root for the bad guys" or the most recent video game "LEGO DC Super-Villains".

It's not universal or anything, but it's definitely "an ongoing thing" that crops up with relative frequency, I'd say.

Also, I don't know, look at the Light in Young Justice. That's a pretty high profile DC property, and its Justice League is pretty well equipped, and yet I don't think a single member of the main super-villain team has been defeated or put away in a permanent manner! Maybe the Brain? Maybe. I mean don't get me wrong, I love the Light as a badguy team, and I get that its permanence is based on the way villains in comics stick around forever and ever, but it's definitely a little bit different considering that YJ has such a concrete timeline and series of events compared to the broader, more mythic way most other versions of the DCU usually work. And most other extremely concrete versions of the DCU, like the movies, don't have villains recur nearly so much as YJ does.

I don't know if that's really part of the same ongoing thing where hyping the villains makes heroes look less effective or not, but like... it might be?
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    Not really, it's been a ongoing thing.
    How? DC has at least 15 comics coming out at a time. How many of those are about the villains?

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Yeah, I mean look at Suicide Squad's ad campaign going "time to root for the bad guys" or the most recent video game "LEGO DC Super-Villains".

It's not universal or anything, but it's definitely "an ongoing thing" that crops up with relative frequency, I'd say.

Also, I don't know, look at the Light in Young Justice. That's a pretty high profile DC property, and its Justice League is pretty well equipped, and yet I don't think a single member of the main super-villain team has been defeated or put away in a permanent manner! Maybe the Brain? Maybe. I mean don't get me wrong, I love the Light as a badguy team, and I get that its permanence is based on the way villains in comics stick around forever and ever, but it's definitely a little bit different considering that YJ has such a concrete timeline and series of events compared to the broader, more mythic way most other versions of the DCU usually work. And most other extremely concrete versions of the DCU, like the movies, don't have villains recur nearly so much as YJ does.

I don't know if that's really part of the same ongoing thing where hyping the villains makes heroes look less effective or not, but like... it might be?
    So two movies that were about the villains vs numerous others that were about the heroes. I don't see how this is emphasizing the villains at the heroes'expense. Hell, Suicide Squad featured a few cameos from two superheroes and they were in no way depicted as ineffective.

As for the Light, like you said, super villains don't get defeated permanently in the comics and even in some animated series. And the YJ universe at least has the excuse that for the longest time, they didn't know who the main villains were and the Light tends to operate in shadow instead of being as loud and attention-grabbing as possible. The heroes aren't ineffective, it's that the villains are more savvy than usual. And the villains still take major losses. Hell, people are already predicting that this Darkseid deal will blow up in their faces.

Vixen should be from Ghana. Zambesi has nothing going for it a a fictional country and Ghana is the country of origin for the Anansi mythology.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think DC should do more all-ages stuff.

I'm not saying they don't do anything aimed at kids, far from it, I would give DC more credit then most on that front. This isn't even me complaining about their adult content, because I don't see Marvel delivering something like Young Justice or Reign of the Supermen, and the Arrowverse shows have certainly earned their place.

I'm just thinking of how important it is to engrain and introduce younger generations into comics and Superheroes and to a companies major properties, or even obscure ones, and how that enriches the properties.

When I see Marvel having success with marketing characters with Scholastic book deals or doing all-ages Superhero comics with IDW, and then I look at the success DC has with DC Super Hero Girls trades, I think to myself that DC could also be really successful in that market if they made a significant effort beyond producing Looney Tunes and Scooby-Doo comics (which I think are important in their own right).

It reminds me of how, when I was a kid, before I got into the mainstream comics I would always pick up the all-ages cartoon tie-in comics like The Batman Adventures, Teen Titans Go!, etc., and I probably wasn't alone on that front. But aside from the current iteration of Teen Titans Go! DC doesn't seem to do that anymore, although the fact that WB can't keep a single DC cartoon not named TTG! on the air for more then a year probably doesn't help.

Having said that, I can imagine the DC Ink and DC Zoom books are meant to be a step in that direction, whenever they actually come out. I just would like to see DC doing more on that front.
    I really agree with this, especially since they upped the maturity of YJ. I wouldn't mind them bringing back Justice League Action, art style was good and the writing was funny.

Hopefully the Zoom and Ink stuff will bring it more readers as well as showing new artist and writers. DC Superhero girls, although not for me , I'm glad exist for there is not a lot of family friendly stuff going on right now with DC. Also you'd think DC would have their own team of supernatural mystery solvers that's all ages (The new52 scooby doo one is kind if dark).

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Doom Patrol's Cyborg looks way better than the DCEU Cyborg.
    Assassinate Putin!

The Titans show is better than the Wonder Woman and Aquaman movies.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    The Titans show is better than the Wonder Woman and Aquaman movies.
    What about it makes it better to you?
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    What about it makes it better to you?
    A couple things, but largely because Wonder Woman and Aquaman felt like Marvel movies. I don't like superhero movies that don't take themselves seriously, whether that be by undermining dramatic moments with humor or by revelling in the spectacle or camp. I prefer that the stories take themselves seriously and try to tell as story as any non-superhero movie would.

I also think that Titans' dark tone gives it more, I dunno... style?, than WW and Aquaman, which were pretty much CGI fests.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I actually think Wonder Woman balanced its dramatic moments well with its humorous moments. In a more natural way than a lot of the MCU movies.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I enjoyed the New 52 TT run and still don’t think it was that bad after reading all but 1 of Titan runs

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    I enjoyed the New 52 TT run and still don’t think it was that bad after reading all but 1 of Titan runs
    New 52 TT was great ideas that got executed horribly.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I actually think Wonder Woman balanced its dramatic moments well with its humorous moments. In a more natural way than a lot of the MCU movies.
    Agreed. It's not a light silly film and it doesn't muddle its jokes with its dramatic beats. There's no humor in the climax to take the sails out of the weight of it.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    New 52 TT was great ideas that got executed horribly.
    Sigh* I miss Bunker

Wonder Woman should be just as strong and as invulnerable as Superman.