Page 43 of 334 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    This was definitely the problem

I almost threw up when I saw this

I was not a fan of this Cyborg run. From immediately resetting the Walker run to the man vs machine and only tech based villains and allies.

Another unpopular opinion of mine is that if Cyborg needs the titans to do well, then that's bad on the fans and the writers. That means that he cant stand on his own as a character without being separated from other characters mythos which sounds to me like a bad character. And I love cyborg especially is TT show and Walker run personalities. Maybe if they made his appearance more modern and attractive he'd get more of a following. Having that would make more people want to be like him like how they want to be like all the other heroes and I daresay some villains.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    This was definitely the problem

I almost threw up when I saw this

The only good robot rat was Rattrap from Transformers Beast Wars. Accept no substitutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmonk View Post
    I was not a fan of this Cyborg run. From immediately resetting the Walker run to the man vs machine and only tech based villains and allies.

Another unpopular opinion of mine is that if Cyborg needs the titans to do well, then that's bad on the fans and the writers. That means that he cant stand on his own as a character without being separated from other characters mythos which sounds to me like a bad character. And I love cyborg especially is TT show and Walker run personalities. Maybe if they made his appearance more modern and attractive he'd get more of a following. Having that would make more people want to be like him like how they want to be like all the other heroes and I daresay some villains.
    I completely agree, thats why I don't support putting Cy back with the Titans just yet (other than the Titans book just not being interesting rn). I want better writers behind his book first to build his mythology.

Astonishing Member

Using some of the Titans as Cyborg's supporting cast would get them out of a troubled franchise and possibly open up new directions for their characters. I always felt that the 2003 cartoon had the best design for him but for some reason, artists are unwilling to use that design in the comics.

Using the titans characters absolute does not mean that,That is like saying Flash is a bad character because Firestorm, Killer Frost, Vibe,Wally West, Plastic Man and Wally West are/were his main cast on the TV show, That is like saying Green Arrow is a bad character because they used Deathstroke,Ra Al Ghoul, Deadshot, Huntress,etc and Mr Terrific,Wild Dog,Black Canary, etc, That is like Supergirl is bad character for using Mon el, Martian Manhunter,Brainiac,Jimmy Olsen. It is simply never a bad idea to use proven characters and concepts even for the strongest of character concepts. Especially in the beginning having the titans characters around as support gives him a stronger and more stable start. Cyborg doesn't need the Titans to do well but he does need the Titans or strong cast to get people to stick around for longer and as newer solo concept that is important. Why have character in a shared universe and not use the benefits of interconnected stories.

If you are trying to get people to add Cyborg to their pull list which is the real goal. Then yeah it is smart idea to put a Beast Boy,Raven,Starfire and get some Titans fans or use Brainiac,Cyborg Superman or Thinker from other superhero villain gallery. A character needs to stand on their own at some point but why does a character need to stand on their own from the beginning? Why in the world wouldn't try to attract the widest base fans as early as you possibly can?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Using the titans characters absolute does not mean that,That is like saying Flash is a bad character because Firestorm, Killer Frost, Vibe,Wally West, Plastic Man and Wally West are/were his main cast on the TV show, That is like saying Green Arrow is a bad character because they used Deathstroke,Ra Al Ghoul, Deadshot, Huntress,etc and Mr Terrific,Wild Dog,Black Canary, etc, That is like Supergirl is bad character for using Mon el, Martian Manhunter,Brainiac,Jimmy Olsen. It is simply never a bad idea to use proven characters and concepts even for the strongest of character concepts. Especially in the beginning having the titans characters around as support gives him a stronger and more stable start. Cyborg doesn't need the Titans to do well but he does need the Titans or strong cast to get people to stick around for longer and as newer solo concept that is important. Why have character in a shared universe and not use the benefits of interconnected stories.

If you are trying to get people to add Cyborg to their pull list which is the real goal. Then yeah it is smart idea to put a Beast Boy,Raven,Starfire and get some Titans fans or use Brainiac,Cyborg Superman or Thinker from other superhero villain gallery. A character needs to stand on their own at some point but why does a character need to stand on their own from the beginning? Why in the world wouldn't try to attract the widest base fans as early as you possibly can?

I wonder if there was an editorial mandate for writers not to use the Titans as Cyborg's supporting cast. Using some of them in the books would(and should)have been a smart move.
    Last edited by king81992; 02-17-2019 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I wonder if there was an editorial mandate for writers not to use the Titans as Cyborg's supporting cast. Using some of them in the books would(and should)have been a smart move.
    At the beginning his new origin wipe out the Titans connection but in Rebirth eventually start to give back people old memories I think Cyborg got back his memories at some point but it was way to late for his book. The Cyborg in Odyssey is talking to Starfire like if they have been cool forever. There was reason initially not to use the Titans character Beast Boy showed up in his solo but his solo was hot trash at that point and with out old memories connection was kind of a waste as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

It's usually more than just Lex and random aliens who have Kryptonite. Hell, back in the Silver Age it seemed everybody could obtain it, logic be damned.
    Your problem is your expecting logic from the Silver Age. You know, the era where Lex Luthor makes a time machine out of Orange Juice and a Lightbulb.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Your problem is your expecting logic from the Silver Age. You know, the era where Lex Luthor makes a time machine out of Orange Juice and a Lightbulb.
    And that was back when Superman was even more OTT powerful, so the available Kryptonite and supervillains schemes were similarly OTT. Now that everything has been scaled back, so has Superman. So what's the issue?

Also, sometimes you have to wonder if introducing rigid logic into these silly superhero stories designed for children was in itself, logical. It seems we are all more miserable now that we are preoccupied with consistent power levels, continuity and having everything being relatively "serious" and "realistic"

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    You don't have to nerf him, just give everyone else an upgrade, that's basically what happened to Batman after he got popular.
    Almost everyone HAS gotten an upgrade and lost their weaknesses, and he's not as powerful as he used to be.

Batman has, in some ways, become a worse character since he got popular. Bat-God, at least the way it's portrayed by most authors, is obnoxious and dull.

The only magic items Diana has regular access to is the lasso, tiara, and bracelets. For the first, Clark has super-hearing to hear someones pulse to tell if they're lying, the tiara is a long-range weapon which is covered by heat vision, and the bracelets aren't anymore indestructible than he is.
    It's been noted that it's difficult to lie to Diana even without the lasso, and if they would finally get over their kink fear and let the lasso control people, she'd outclass him in that area. She herself is as indestructible as him before we even get into the bracelets. While her swords and shields are not as common as her other devices, they are carried around often enough now, and more frequently than he carries around anything. And her swords can cut him. And she's a better fighter and tactician, or should be.

Except she doesn't get treated in his weight class more often than not.
    Then they need to more consistently treat her stats with respect. But the call to make her dead even with him in terms of strength and speed, in addition to all the other advantages, is a bit much. She's in his weight class, or close enough, to give him trouble in a fight if they should throw down. Not that they should be fighting anyway.

Outside of magic spells and telepathy, not really. He has super-intelligence.
    He's not a shape shifter, he cannot turn invisible, he cannot tap into the speed force and steal speed from others, he cannot telepathically control sea life (including powerful sea monsters), he does not have a GL ring, he's not the world's greatest detective, he cannot transform elements with the wave of a hand, he cannot channel the powers of animals, he's not the best melee fighter, he doesn't have tools like the lasso or the trident, he cannot shrink to the size of an atom, he cannot stretch his limbs like rubber, he doesn't have a sonic scream that's as powerful as a small nuke....

His super intelligence is not on display nearly enough anymore. It is treated as a momentous occasion by fandom when he's not a dumb flying brick.

It doesn't have to be gone for a long period of time, just be clear that it's rare in-universe. Aliens with Kryptonian-level super strength are rare, but he keeps running into them.
    Then they're not rare. Considering his power level, he should be running into foes as powerful as him or in some ways stronger (like Mxy or Solaris). Otherwise it's pointless to read a Superman story.

The Hawkman and Hawkwoman relationship doesn't work and has always had uncomfortable undertones to it.

DC should have made Kendra Shayera's daughter via a human male (who isn't John Stewart).

Retired

Given that Krypton is an inert gas, it would be pretty difficult to transform that into a solid substance like Kryptonite. You'd proably need an atom smasher to produce the radioactive substance. But if you could recover a meteorite of Kryptonite, even a relatively small sample, you could probably do the atomic analysis to figure out the molecular bonds necessary to replicate such stable molecules.

So it's not so far-fetched that crimedom would use all its resources to manufacture Kryptonite and sell it on the black market.

The only real problem is how did the Kryptonite make its way from the planet Krypton to here and the answer must be that someone or something survived the destruction of the planet and warped through space to Earth, bringing along particles of Kryptonite with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Given that Krypton is an inert gas, it would be pretty difficult to transform that into a solid substance like Kryptonite. You'd proably need an atom smasher to produce the radioactive substance. But if you could recover a meteorite of Kryptonite, even a relatively small sample, you could probably do the atomic analysis to figure out the molecular bonds necessary to replicate such stable molecules.

So it's not so far-fetched that crimedom would use all its resources to manufacture Kryptonite and sell it on the black market.

The only real problem is how did the Kryptonite make its way from the planet Krypton to here and the answer must be that someone or something survived the destruction of the planet and warped through space to Earth, bringing along particles of Kryptonite with them.
    Actually kryptonite does't have anything to do with the noble gas element krypton. Kryptonite is meteorites from the planet Krypton. Krytonian meteorites. Krypton exploding would have sent chunks of itself into
    space in all directions. By random chance a few chunks managed to get past Neptune, Uranus, Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, and The Moon and land on Earth instead of in the ocean. Supposedly kryptonite is some sort of
    trans-uranium element that is relatively stable as compared to most trans-uranium element. So it probably could be artificially made just like all the other man made elements. By smashing lighter elements together
    in an accelerator. If you have several billion dollars to spend its not much of a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Almost everyone HAS gotten an upgrade and lost their weaknesses, and he's not as powerful as he used to be.

Batman has, in some ways, become a worse character since he got popular. Bat-God, at least the way it's portrayed by most authors, is obnoxious and dull.
    I won't argue there, but it's preferable to him just being the JLA's bankroller.

It's been noted that it's difficult to lie to Diana even without the lasso, and if they would finally get over their kink fear and let the lasso control people, she'd outclass him in that area. She herself is as indestructible as him before we even get into the bracelets. While her swords and shields are not as common as her other devices, they are carried around often enough now, and more frequently than he carries around anything. And her swords can cut him. And she's a better fighter and tactician, or should be.
    It's also been noted to be difficult to lie to Superman, and if it's not canon, it's pointless to bring up something that the lasso hasn't done in decades. She is demonstrable NOT as indestructible as he is, bullets harm her, and a piece of shrapnel literally ricocheted off Superman to critically injure Wonder Woman in the throat.

Then they need to more consistently treat her stats with respect. But the call to make her dead even with him in terms of strength and speed, in addition to all the other advantages, is a bit much. She's in his weight class, or close enough, to give him trouble in a fight if they should throw down. Not that they should be fighting anyway.
    Maybe it's better to be one of those in-universe debate things, like "who's the best martial artist".

He's not a shape shifter, he cannot turn invisible, he cannot tap into the speed force and steal speed from others, he cannot telepathically control sea life (including powerful sea monsters), he does not have a GL ring, he's not the world's greatest detective, he cannot transform elements with the wave of a hand, he cannot channel the powers of animals, he's not the best melee fighter, he doesn't have tools like the lasso or the trident, he cannot shrink to the size of an atom, he cannot stretch his limbs like rubber, he doesn't have a sonic scream that's as powerful as a small nuke....

His super intelligence is not on display nearly enough anymore. It is treated as a momentous occasion by fandom when he's not a dumb flying brick.
    Fair.

Then they're not rare. Considering his power level, he should be running into foes as powerful as him or in some ways stronger (like Mxy or Solaris). Otherwise it's pointless to read a Superman story.
    While I agree with your second point, it's a big universe. If aliens in Kryptonian's weight class were common, Kryptonians wouldn't be a big deal.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The Hawkman and Hawkwoman relationship doesn't work and has always had uncomfortable undertones to it.

DC should have made Kendra Shayera's daughter via a human male (who isn't John Stewart).
    Hawkman and Hawkwoman are too complicated for their own good. The Earth Hawks and the Thangarian Hawks should not be part of the same reincarnation cycle(at least I think they are).