Page 44 of 333 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Using the titans characters absolute does not mean that,That is like saying Flash is a bad character because Firestorm, Killer Frost, Vibe,Wally West, Plastic Man and Wally West are/were his main cast on the TV show, That is like saying Green Arrow is a bad character because they used Deathstroke,Ra Al Ghoul, Deadshot, Huntress,etc and Mr Terrific,Wild Dog,Black Canary, etc, That is like Supergirl is bad character for using Mon el, Martian Manhunter,Brainiac,Jimmy Olsen. It is simply never a bad idea to use proven characters and concepts even for the strongest of character concepts. Especially in the beginning having the titans characters around as support gives him a stronger and more stable start. Cyborg doesn't need the Titans to do well but he does need the Titans or strong cast to get people to stick around for longer and as newer solo concept that is important. Why have character in a shared universe and not use the benefits of interconnected stories.

If you are trying to get people to add Cyborg to their pull list which is the real goal. Then yeah it is smart idea to put a Beast Boy,Raven,Starfire and get some Titans fans or use Brainiac,Cyborg Superman or Thinker from other superhero villain gallery. A character needs to stand on their own at some point but why does a character need to stand on their own from the beginning? Why in the world wouldn't try to attract the widest base fans as early as you possibly can?
    1. So in order to make Cyborg supposedly work as a solo character, he needs to have Starfire, Raven and Beast Boy in it? It's funny because none of the titans showed up in Starfire and Raven's books. If that's the case, just make a Teen Titans book lol? He needs to have supporting characters that are exclusively for HIM.

2. And what better way to have a character stand on their own than steal other people's villains. That also defeats the purpose.

I wish people will admit that they're Titans fans and not Cyborg fans because it shows.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Retired

It's different with characters that were created before the super-team vs. created for the super-team. The Sub-Mariner existed before the Fantastic Four--he doesn't need their history. But the Thing, Mr. Fantastic, the Invisible Woman and Human Torch (2) were all created within the Fantastic Four team. The Thing could go on to have his highly popular MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE team-ups, but you wouldn't want to remove Reed, Sue and Johnny from his bio. Take all the FF stories away from Ben and he's robbed of a lot of his character development and many of his greatest adventures.

The best usage for Batman in the league is bank roller and saboteur. He's the guy going behind enemy lines and blowing up ammo dumps etc

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Using some of the Titans as Cyborg's supporting cast would get them out of a troubled franchise and possibly open up new directions for their characters.
    Don't know. It would be odd if they would use characters that are as least as popular as Cyborg himself, as just his supporting cast, and I don't really see how that opens up new directions from them. I mean if they team up with him in Titans a book or a Cyborg book what is the difference.

Boisterously Confused

Superman's "arms race" with (The Real) Captain Marvel ultimately did the character more harm than good.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    The best usage for Batman in the league is bank roller and saboteur. He's the guy going behind enemy lines and blowing up ammo dumps etc
    ...and the spy/intel officer. He's the one who knows where to find the valuable snitches, and how to squeeze them, as well as the one maintaining a couple of shallow aliases that let him walk around the darker corners of Luthor's companies as "a contractor "

Mighty Member

I haven't enjoyed the DCEU post SS.

I don't want a supergirl movie or a batgirl movies before Batman and Superman get one good movie in this franchise

I don't think Batman has ever had the movie he deserves as a character.

I don't really understand why fans are ok with Batman being beat up by regular female villains that don't have super powers but are so against the idea that Wonder Woman is equal to Superman in strength. Only one of these actually don't make sense since Batman and the female villains or regular humans and Superman/Wonder Woman are purely fiction based.

Wonder Woman should work in the government and it would be a good compliment to Bruce and Clark.

Cyborg is boring and I just don't like him.

Lex Luthor in BVS made sense for this generation.

WW should have taken place in modern day and not WW1 or WW2.

Snyder had good ideas for the DCEU but he should not have been the director for those movies. He should have been chosen to work on choreography and as a producer.

Mighty Member

Vertigo's so called golden era is RIDICULOUSLY overrated. I had the chance of reading their stuff recently and I wasn't impressed. Outside of Doom Patrol, Astro City, Swamp Thing, Sandman Mystery Theater. Vertigo books were simply okay at best. Today's content from Image and Dark Horse would blow those books out of the water, in MY opinion. A friend is trying to introduce me to Shade, The Changing Man now and i'm just not interested.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Retired

Educate me. What has Image and Dark Horse been doing lately?

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    Vertigo's so called golden era is RIDICULOUSLY overrated. I had the chance of reading their stuff recently and I wasn't impressed. Outside of Doom Patrol, Astro City, Swamp Thing, Sandman Mystery Theater. Vertigo books were simply okay at best. Today's content from Image and Dark Horse would blow those books out of the water, in MY opinion. A friend is trying to introduce me to Shade, The Changing Man now and i'm just not interested.
    4 solid books like those is pretty great for a smaller imprint like Vertigo.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    4 solid books like those is pretty great for a smaller imprint like Vertigo.
    I don't even recall any books outside of those four from those days.

Astonishing Member

That's some big disrespect to Hellblazer.

That said, if "just" Astro City and Sandman are you laurels, those are some gilded laurels.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    That's some big disrespect to Hellblazer.

That said, if "just" Astro City and Sandman are you laurels, those are some gilded laurels.
    I don't see how that's supposedly "disrespect" A book can critically acclaimed all it wants. But if those books didn't click with me on any level. Then that acclaim is irrelevant to me. It is what it is. I won't apologize for how i feel.

I hate that DC thinks they can sell us on product, rather than stories of great characters. Like when they advertise some new villian, or Crisis, or writer, or character return, or new battle armour, or even concept. None of that matters if you're not putting a good story together to go with it.

It's like how Star Wars isn't about great quests being undertaken by great characters anymore. Now it's harping on specific things within the universe, like the Force, or the Skywalkers, or the history, or lightsabers. Too much pandering to the fans creates a lesser product IMO. You can't progress and flesh out an entire universe if you keep looking backwards, micromanaging, and including nauseatingly-overt "Easter eggs". Unless it can be done well 110%, some things should just be let go.

I also hate that they think they can sell us alone on the history of the characters, like we're supposed to be awed just coz Superman or Batman is in something. If the characters have earned a tear or two from the public, then add it in by all means, but don't force it down our throats just coz you presume we love every incarnation of the character in every medium (Earned: the public's reaction to Superman's death in the comics. Unearned: the public's reaction to Superman's death in BvS.) Let's have more effort and less delusion and overconfidence.

Also, there's that moment when you're a kid and you're suddenly not interested in the latest-craze Saturday morning cartoon that it dawns on you that you've suddenly grown up. I was like this for Rogol Zaar. Here's another humanoid villian of the week to come along and tell us that we don't really know the true history of Krypton. Yeah, whatever. Again you're looking backwards, lying to us and trying to sell us on shock value. There was this idea about comic book worlds rebooting every 7 years or so. Maybe that should be attempted so we wouldn't have to keep seeing lame villains being sold as new and original. I know that we have to consider the economics of all of it, but can't we find a way to have more fully-baked stories, stories that you can read over and over again and you actually want to own in Absolute format?
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by ohmshalone View Post
    I hate that DC thinks they can sell us on product, rather than stories of great characters. Like when they advertise some new villian, or Crisis, or writer, or character return, or new battle armour, or even concept. None of that matters if you're not putting a good story together to go with it.

It's like how Star Wars isn't about great quests being undertaken by great characters anymore. Now it's harping on specific things within the universe, like the Force, or the Skywalkers, or the history, or lightsabers. Too much pandering to the fans creates a lesser product IMO. You can't progress and flesh out an entire universe if you keep looking backwards, micromanaging, and including nauseatingly-overt "Easter eggs". Unless it can be done well 110%, some things should just be let go.

I also hate that they think they can sell us alone on the history of the characters, like we're supposed to be awed just coz Superman or Batman is in something. If the characters have earned a tear or two from the public, then add it in by all means, but don't force it down our throats just coz you presume we love every incarnation of the character in every medium (Earned: the public's reaction to Superman's death in the comics. Unearned: the public's reaction to Superman's death in BvS.) Let's have more effort and less delusion and overconfidence.

Also, there's that moment when you're a kid and you're suddenly not interested in the latest-craze Saturday morning cartoon that it dawns on you that you've suddenly grown up. I was like this for Rogol Zaar. Here's another humanoid villian of the week to come along and tell us that we don't really know the true history of Krypton. Yeah, whatever. Again you're looking backwards, lying to us and trying to sell us on shock value. There was this idea about comic book worlds rebooting every 7 years or so. Maybe that should be attempted so we wouldn't have to keep seeing lame villains being sold as new and original. I know that we have to consider the economics of all of it, but can't we find a way to have more fully-baked stories, stories that you can read over and over again and you actually want to own in Absolute format?
    I do not find your opinion controversial. I find it profound.