Page 49 of 334 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999149 ... LastLast

I'm beginning to think there shouldn't be a main DC comic continuity but smaller seperate continuities that last depending on sales or interest.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    So what is the point of her being zeuss kid then? And if her strength is a blessing from another God, like her flight is, than that is ridiculous.
    In Greek myth, it doesn't seem all of Zeus's kids got super strength like Heracles. So her being his kid but otherwise not being exceptionally strong for a demigod has precedent.

It's really as close as they can get to satisfying multiple camps at once. Zeus is her dad and the clay birth is gone for those who find it too offputting (and allows for Olympian family drama when the need arises), but her skills and powers come from the Amazons and other goddesses/gods as they should. Zeus is a prolific sperm donor, but not much else.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    In Greek myth, it doesn't seem all of Zeus's kids got super strength like Heracles. So her being his kid but otherwise not being exceptionally strong for a demigod has precedent.

It's really as close as they can get to satisfying multiple camps at once. Zeus is her dad and the clay birth is gone for those who find it too offputting (and allows for Olympian family drama when the need arises), but her skills and powers come from the Amazons and other goddesses/gods as they should. Zeus is a prolific sperm donor, but not much else.
    Yeah, but then you make the origin of the character who exemplifies Females and their importance beholden to history's most prime example of toxic masculinity. Also that's Cassie's backstory anyhow.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm beginning to think there shouldn't be a main DC comic continuity but smaller seperate continuities that last depending on sales or interest.
    I wouldn't be opposed to each book having its own continuity. When a new writer takes over the series, its the start of a new continuity.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Yeah, but then you make the origin of the character who exemplifies Females and their importance beholden to history's most prime example of toxic masculinity. Also that's Cassie's backstory anyhow.
    I never said it was entirely a good thing, at least from some fans POVs (including my own; I'm not as against a father, but Zeus is far from my first choice). But the Zeus origin is clearly not going away any time soon whether we like it or not. There was a noticeable enough backlash against the New 52 Amazons that they got rid of them, evidently Zeus being her father wasn't as controversial. The Rebirth set up is as close to a compromise as we are likely to get until they get rid of it entirely: the Amazons don't suck anymore, and Zeus isn't responsible for her strength nor did he raise her. So she's not as beholden to him as she was in the New 52. And even Azzarello had Diana voice that Zeus never gave her anything personally besides some blood relatives like Lennox or Siracca, so she doesn't owe him anything.

It was Cassie's origin until it wasn't. Origins change in comics all the time for better or worse. I don't think Cassie is impacted all the much by having her mother be the direct demigod offspring of Zeus instead of herself.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    It's what DC did during the Golden and Silver Ages. It it worked once, it could work again, but it could be a challenge because the readership of the past 45 or so years was raised on superhero comics of shared universes and extended continuity.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Retired

If people are coming to the comic books from the movies and TV shows, it should be easier for them to accept multiple continuities. It's harder for me going the other way, since I know that things are supposed to be connected and it's frustrating when they're not.

The Marvel movies, bringing in Sony and Fox now, are in the position somewhat the same as DC when they were trying to integrate their heroes into the same universe in the 1960s, when they weren't connected before. Movie goers have got used to Marvel characters being detached from each other. How do the X-Men fit into the world of the Avengers? And how do the Fanatastic Four? Marvel has got it all back to front. It should have been the FF, Spidey and then the Avengers and X-Men.

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    J'onn doesn't have telekinesis and Invisibility, Intangibility, and density changing are all just his Shapeshifting. Density Changing is what causes the intangibility in the first place. It's like saying Superman has Flight and can also levitate. Well, duh.

He definitely does not have all of Superman's powers. I already listed some for you and there were others I neglected.

Are you seriously willing to be this petty to win a argument. Jonn has the powers, he has more than most anyone, that is a known fact.

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    How is it ridiculous?

You think I'm the one trolling? All you've been doing is moving the goal posts to suit your argument.

And if he does his powers EITHER must be more powerful somehow, or fueled more by his good heart, or he wins by street smarts somehow.
    Yes. He has. Multiple times. Have you read anything about Billy? Black Adam isn't even the only adult he's beaten.[/QUOTE]

Funny how you never answered one of my questions, and instead throw some back at me.

How in the hell can Diana be zeuss kid and get NO gifts from that?

Batman and his rogues always come off unstoppable, even when they are mostly non powered humans with deranged getups.

Billy has amazing powers, but black Adam has had the same powers for what centuries, and is extremely violent, only in comics where the suspension of belief is so wacky would anyone believe Billy could beat him without some plot reason.

And what question did I fail to answer?

Read up on tge myths of the children Zeus fathered. Most of them didn't inherit any powers from him. One poster even said this in the last page.

Again moving the goal posts.

You do not get to pull the realism card while caping for a character as unrealistic as Superman.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I find clay origin for Wonder woman more suitable. It drives home the fact that these guys are Gods and deities.
    As a hindu, we have a god who was made out of clay as well and given life. Ganapathi.
    Her being another kid of zeus is boring. Strangely enough, i liked her being the daughter of Hades in justice league animated series.

Giving characters passes because they all come from the same source is a cop out, and why characters get power creeps while others get complaijed about for having to many powers.
    Better way to explain it you that almost everyone of Flash "extra" powers Superman has it as well. Phasing through Structures,Creating Tornados,Thinking faster than people and processing information faster,etc Heck Time Travel as well. They are sub products of super speed.

A flexible power like Telekinesis or Super Speed is still one power. You take Flash away super speed he can't do anything special, You take away Superman flying, He becomes Flash that can shoot laser from eyes with super strength.You take away his superspeed he becomes Hulk with laser beams. You take away Super Strength he becomes Luke cage with Laserbeams, You take away the invulnerability he becomes Cyclops who can see through walls.etc You get the point and there is a reason I used those names because they are very best at their level. So it isn't matter of just being a swiss army knife. Superman is portrayed at high level pretty everything he does and bring that point home flash has faster than normal healing but he ain't wolverine.There is a reason Superman get criticized for all his powers because not only does he have a bunch of them, They are all portrayed at high levels and he can realistic be a bunch of elite heroes.

Superman is "the guy" you have live with criticism of character, He gets special privileges because he is the superhero Icon,universe mandated top hero and gets the plot armor that come from that. While that makes him an amazing fun hero at times, for some that makes broken and OP with too many powers. You will never win "the argument" of trying to compare other heroes. The only heroes that are fair comparison are top heroes of other universes who get the inherent Brokenness from being "the guy" the easiest example is manga where "The guy" always becomes OP and stupid everyone from Naruto to Goku to Ichigo to Deku. Martian Manhunter would have that issue if he was "the guy" but Martian Manhunter doesn't get superman plot armor or benefit of being portrayed as the best in almost every story written about him. Superman gets story upon story of him performing at his top levels and people experience his powers through that lens. A character like flash is as ridiculous powerful as Superman in theory but then Flash gets smacked around by Gotham Girl instead being shown at his full potential. I don't get it same people saying Superman is most powerful hero, physically the strongest hero,He is as fast Flash, He would beat almost every hero in fight turn around get mad when other fans pick on Superman for being boring because he is too powerful or pick on his wider variety very powerful skills.

PS- BatGod with no powers get the same complaint in different away. It is actually status complaint but it manifest for Superman in discussion about powers

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    And what question did I fail to answer?

Read up on tge myths of the children Zeus fathered. Most of them didn't inherit any powers from him. One poster even said this in the last page.

Again moving the goal posts.

You do not get to pull the realism card while caping for a character as unrealistic as Superman.

So I'm try to ignore you and your nothing void now ugh, thanks for stopping by.

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Better way to explain it you that almost everyone of Flash "extra" powers Superman has it as well. Phasing through Structures,Creating Tornados,Thinking faster than people and processing information faster,etc Heck Time Travel as well. They are sub products of super speed.

A flexible power like Telekinesis or Super Speed is still one power. You take Flash away super speed he can't do anything special, You take away Superman flying, He becomes Flash that can shoot laser from eyes with super strength.You take away his superspeed he becomes Hulk with laser beams. You take away Super Strength he becomes Luke cage with Laserbeams, You take away the invulnerability he becomes Cyclops who can see through walls.etc You get the point and there is a reason I used those names because they are very best at their level. So it isn't matter of just being a swiss army knife. Superman is portrayed at high level pretty everything he does and bring that point home flash has faster than normal healing but he ain't wolverine.There is a reason Superman get criticized for all his powers because not only does he have a bunch of them, They are all portrayed at high levels and he can realistic be a bunch of elite heroes.

Superman is "the guy" you have live with criticism of character, He gets special privileges because he is the superhero Icon,universe mandated top hero and gets the plot armor that come from that. While that makes him an amazing fun hero at times, for some that makes broken and OP with too many powers. You will never win "the argument" of trying to compare other heroes. The only heroes that are fair comparison are top heroes of other universes who get the inherent Brokenness from being "the guy" the easiest example is manga where "The guy" always becomes OP and stupid everyone from Naruto to Goku to Ichigo to Deku. Martian Manhunter would have that issue if he was "the guy" but Martian Manhunter doesn't get superman plot armor or benefit of being portrayed as the best in almost every story written about him. Superman gets story upon story of him performing at his top levels and people experience his powers through that lens. A character like flash is as ridiculous powerful as Superman in theory but then Flash gets smacked around by Gotham Girl instead being shown at his full potential. I don't get it same people saying Superman is most powerful hero, physically the strongest hero,He is as fast Flash, He would beat almost every hero in fight turn around get mad when other fans pick on Superman for being boring because he is too powerful or pick on his wider variety very powerful skills.

PS- BatGod with no powers get the same complaint in different away. It is actually status complaint but it manifest for Superman in discussion about powers

Superman is supposed to be the best at everything he does, that's his thing.

And let's remember hyperion and Supreme dont get bested by someone with one power. It's like I'm sorry your character isn't as powerful or well powered as superman, not his fault, but it is complainers and apologizers fault that he gets bested at anytime by guys that are not as fortunate to be as powerful or as well powered

Astonishing Member

Superman is supposed to be the best at everything he does, that's his thing.
    I've never known this to be the case with Superman. He's always been the hero who doesn't let us down and always comes through, not just blanket the most powerful at everything.