Page 5 of 332 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Duke Thomas is an awful character and everything about him is forced. How can a character be so safe and bland while also simultaneously obnoxious is beyond me.

James Tynion has written 3 good Bat frachise stories, the crossovers with Ninja Turtles and Talon. Everything else is just bad or outright poor.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    To be fair to Perez, I don't think he wanted his Wonder Woman revamp to be in the present day. If given the choice, he would have had her at least be a JL founder and be the one who found infant Donna and brought her to Paradise Island. Why the higher ups at DC didn't see the obvious potential problems of severing Wonder Girl's ties to Wonder Woman is a question for the ages.

And yes, they very easily could have represented Wonder Woman's entire history. She lends herself very well to that. It would have solved the Diana Prince and romance with Steve "problems" that they didn't want anymore: all that happened back in the 1940s. And due his powers making him ageless in some versions, Superman could have debuted in the 1930s as well along with her and the JSA. It would mean losing the Smallville cast in the present day, but that's no big loss outside of Lana IMO. Netting two out of the three Trinity members would have solved some problems and make their respective worlds richer.
    That was my understanding, that the original plan was to have the Perez revamp start with the origin set in the past, then jump to the present. Then management decided they wanted Diana to be a "new" hero after Crisis.

Ultimate Member

double post

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Anyone who says the modern DCU (by Geoff Johns et al) is a revival of the "Silver Age" was not alive in the actual "Silver Age."
    That's controversial? That's just true!

Sandy Hausler

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Story will always be more important than continuity

Infinite Crisis was a good ending for E2 Superman

Superboy Prime is a amazing villain

If Christan Bale would of stayed on as Batman the DC shared film universe would of been a success

New 52 Earth 2 was solid

The Titans should take over as the main DC Heroes and the Justice League should retire
    Last edited by comicstar100; 08-09-2018 at 10:17 PM.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by comicstar100 View Post
    Story will always be more important than continuity
    I don't know what that means. For example, I just watched A QUIET PLACE, it's not part of a series but in watching that you have to construct a continuity in your head for the world they exist in and that's part of the story. So story and continuity are the same thing or at least so tied together it's hard to separate them out like yolks and egg whites.

A continuity-less character would be like Bugs Bunny in the Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies shorts that were originally shown in theatres before longer movies. Those are constructed in a such a way that you don't need to know Bugs Bunny's "origin story" (if he has one) and he can transcend time and space. The only thing he takes with him from short to short is some common tropes. You could even imagine that it's a Bugs Bunny multiverse, where every time you see him you see a different Bugs. But even there, inside the short itself there is a continuity that is being constructed as the story moves forward.

Then when Bugs gets his own comic book or TV series, the writers need to construct a back story for him that gives all the episodes a continuity. On THE BUGS BUNNY SHOW, there was a framing device for the old cartoons where Bugs was re-imagined as an actor/celebrity--he hosted the whole program (with Daffy Duck) and there were scenes, in between the shorts, where Bugs has a consistent character. So even for the shorts that all existed in their own continuity bubbles, the writers had to construct an over-arching continuity to make sense of this world.

It seems to me that, if a writer doesn't think about continuity on some level, the story falls apart. It's the glue that holds individual ideas together. So I return to this, that continuity and story are harder to divide than the nucleus of an atom.

1. Children sidekicks risking their lives with unrelated adult superheroes is an ill-advised relic of a more innocent age. Barring modern interpretations which are more intelligent, that whole trope should be dropped. It's kept alive by old fans who grew up with it.

2. There are too many duplicative characters, especially in the major "families". There should be 1-2 Flash characters at most. And that also applies to Green Arrow, Earth-based Green Lanterns, Batman sidekicks and Superman sidekicks too.

3. The reason #2 continues is due to the direct market, longtime fans, and DC's knowledge that if they trot out longtime JLA or Teen Titans characters periodically, they keep x-thousand readers plunking down for books - even though the likelihood of something meaningful being done with that character is really, really small.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    Honestly, Wally’s my Flash because he was the one who introduced me to the character in the Justice League cartoon, just like how John Stewart is my Green Lantern for the same reason.

I have to wonder how many are like me.
    I'd say anybody in their 20's should be in the same boat (like me), unless you mean "favorite" when you say "my". Barry's my favorite even though I didn't know he existed until much later.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Poison Ivy is a better Circe than Circe.

Babs as Oracle is DC's collective bad conscience made, well not flesh and bone, but at least a visible representation.

Superhero tales need a moral dimension at some interval, otherwise they devolve into edgelord power fantasies or unthinking conservatism.

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ellingham View Post
    1. Children sidekicks risking their lives with unrelated adult superheroes is an ill-advised relic of a more innocent age. Barring modern interpretations which are more intelligent, that whole trope should be dropped. It's kept alive by old fans who grew up with it.

2. There are too many duplicative characters, especially in the major "families". There should be 1-2 Flash characters at most. And that also applies to Green Arrow, Earth-based Green Lanterns, Batman sidekicks and Superman sidekicks too.

3. The reason #2 continues is due to the direct market, longtime fans, and DC's knowledge that if they trot out longtime JLA or Teen Titans characters periodically, they keep x-thousand readers plunking down for books - even though the likelihood of something meaningful being done with that character is really, really small.

So take the childlike joy,and fantasy out of comics,have only the alpha family characters survive and wipe out the rest,and screw the ppl who actually keep comics alive,just because they have over the years grown attached to certain characters,okay sure

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post

Babs as Oracle is DC's collective bad conscience made, well not flesh and bone, but at least a visible representation.

Superhero tales need a moral dimension at some interval, otherwise they devolve into edgelord power fantasies or unthinking conservatism.
    Can you explain what the last 2 paragraphs mean?

Kon93

Young Justice season 3 and the Reign of the Supermen next year will both have SB in them, but both will only show you HALF of who he really is. Only together will he be whole.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post

Sometimes they're unthinking conservative edgelord power fantasies with a moral dimension. Cape comics do a lot of weird stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    But compared to Gotham and Metropolis. Those other cities are generic. There are so many places you can name in Gotham and Metropolis. Star City and Fawcett are just kinda there.

That's actually the strength of using fake cities.

1) You don't have people looking over your shoulder pointing out mistakes in geography. People who can regonize where the subways are and what should be in the background...

Being generic means you can do whatever you want with them. They can have a subway, they can have an elevated train, You need a university, go for it. They can a sports team if you need it, regardless of what happens in the real world. You want metropolis to get infected by Brainiac and become super sci-fi, no problem... You want an earthquake to ruin Gotham... that just happened. It's the kind of thing you just can't get away with Chicago or Atlanta... and any dose of 'realism' isn't worth the headaches and limitations that real cities give.

Marvel's been doing it for so long they've become a punchline. There are 700 heroes JUST in New York... but nowhere else, because that's the city they wanted to write.

The best thing that citiies like Fawcett and Star City has... it's it's own heroes. Batman isn't in Star City, Green Arrow isn't in Gotham... There isn't that annoying debate of why didn't Batman get Everyone elses help to stop Joker.... because they're all in tehir own cities scattered around.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    That's actually the strength of using fake cities.

1) You don't have people looking over your shoulder pointing out mistakes in geography. People who can regonize where the subways are and what should be in the background...

Being generic means you can do whatever you want with them. They can have a subway, they can have an elevated train, You need a university, go for it. They can a sports team if you need it, regardless of what happens in the real world. You want metropolis to get infected by Brainiac and become super sci-fi, no problem... You want an earthquake to ruin Gotham... that just happened. It's the kind of thing you just can't get away with Chicago or Atlanta... and any dose of 'realism' isn't worth the headaches and limitations that real cities give.

Marvel's been doing it for so long they've become a punchline. There are 700 heroes JUST in New York... but nowhere else, because that's the city they wanted to write.

The best thing that citiies like Fawcett and Star City has... it's it's own heroes. Batman isn't in Star City, Green Arrow isn't in Gotham... There isn't that annoying debate of why didn't Batman get Everyone elses help to stop Joker.... because they're all in tehir own cities scattered around.
    Cities are a big place. Not everyone will always be able to unite for a single threat because they'd also likely be caught up in their own stuff even if they live in the same place. Also, the X-Men and West Coast Avengers aren't in New York. And the issues with geography still apply to fake cities as well like where they're located.