Page 56 of 332 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Are these opinions controversial? They seem right on to me.
    I already mentioned earlier that I thought that opinion about Crisis was the general consensus, not controversial at all.
    Just re-reading my old collection, filling in the occasional gap with back issues, not buying anything new.

Currently working my way through 1990's Flash, Impulse, and JLA, and occasional other related stuff.

DC's track record with Asian women and Asian mothers is abysmal. They're either dead or villains. Far too many of them fall into the Dragon Lady or exotic foreigner stereotype too.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    DC's track record with Asian women and Asian mothers is abysmal. They're either dead or villains. Far too many of them fall into the Dragon Lady or exotic foreigner stereotype too.
    Speaking of...

My controversial opinion:

Bruce and Talia was more interesting than Bruce and Selina, and I would have loved to see them end up together...That is before she became a psycho date rapist who put a hit out on her own child (over a lost custody battle) and then gets upset when he dies. Man...Talia has been...not very great in recent years.

It's not a bad thing that the older heroes (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, etc.) actually get older than their mid 30s. And by consequence, the younger heroes step in to fill in for them (not necessarily taking the same mantle though).

Great Saiyaman would make an excellent addition to the Titans. Social awkwardness and all that jazz. His dastardly and villainous foes? The Dancing Para Para Brothers!

Barry Allen was a much more interesting and inspirational character when he was dead.

Also, there has not been one great Barry Allen story or run since his return 10 years ago.

His resurrection was a waste and they ruined Wally West for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    It's not a bad thing that the older heroes (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, etc.) actually get older than their mid 30s
    I sure can agree with that.

I have a weird relationship with DC character ages... I like Batman to be in his forties to give him room for all the sidekicks he needs in his backstory, and also just because, well, I like Older Bruce. But Superman has historically been over thirty, and I've decided in the last few years I like him better in his early to mid 20s. 21-27 kind of range. Which, you know, when paired with the Batman thing, might make him sometime around the same age as Dick Grayson. Now there's an idea.

I jest, I jest.

Anyway, I don't think it's really a controversial opinion so much as an unconventional one.

Here's something a little more controversial: Lois Lane doesn't need to be Superman's One True Love. In fact sometimes I think it hinders writers who get so used to writing her as Mrs. Superman that they forget how to write her as Lois Lane. I think that's why Lois was pretty much absent during the New 52.

Don't get me wrong, I ship her with Kal, but not at the expense of all the other people I ship with Kal. I kind of want a story where Superman and his family cross over to another timeline where Superman himself is exactly the same, except that he happens to be married to Cat Grant, and finds the idea of a world where he winds up with Lois utterly baffling. And of course, the Main Superman would be exactly as confounded over Cat. But both marriages would be happy and stable.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Batman is smart, but he shouldn't be a supergenius like Mr. Terrific or Lex Luthor.
    "Don't leave home without your sword - your intellect."
    —Alan Moore

I might've said this before but I don't think bringing the trunks back was necessary for Supes and Bats.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Bruce and Talia was more interesting than Bruce and Selina, and I would have loved to see them end up together...That is before she became a psycho date rapist who put a hit out on her own child (over a lost custody battle) and then gets upset when he dies. Man...Talia has been...not very great in recent years.
    Pre-Selina finding out that Bruce is Batman, I shipped him with Talia. I've started to believe that writers had to make a conscious effort at assassinating Talia's character simply to make Selina look like a better match for him.

As for my controversial opinion, Tim Drake is the most important Robin, especially in terms of writing the character for a modern age. Dick has too much history and there's still a lot of Golden/Silver Age in him from his time as Robin. Jason was a clone of Dick until he was a failed attempt at being not Dick. Tim Drake worked. His backstory, his motivation, his costume, and his way of thinking that were explored in his first decade of existence paved the way for young heroes to be "legacy characters" rather than "sidekicks" and his solo stories in the 90's, which performed better than anything with Bart, Cassie, and even Kon in them, proved that. The majority of what went into making Damian such a successful new character owes to Tim Drake's time as Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I might've said this before but I don't think bringing the trunks back was necessary for Supes and Bats.
    Agreed. To this day, I don't understand why the trunks returning got people so happy. I thought they both looked fine without them.

Retired

If trunks are unnecessary, doesn't that suggest that not having trunks is also unnecessary? I never understood why people got so upset with trunks in the first place--and the change didn't seem needed. Maybe that's what happened. DC just came to its senses and realized it was trying to impose a change that wasn't necessary. So just go back to the original concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Agreed. To this day, I don't understand why the trunks returning got people so happy. I thought they both looked fine without them.
    It works better on Batman though I think he should still have them. Supes looks off without a good amount of red to break up the blue.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I still miss those trunkless Rebirth/Reborn costumes...

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I still miss those trunkless Rebirth/Reborn costumes...
    I miss the reborn suit as well. They should have kept it longer. Since, the animated superman still has it. I am hopeful that it will return. The current one is stupid. If your going for classic look, Then why modernize it. The cuffs are stupid.