Page 59 of 333 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
    The idea of Superman having a kid with Lois Lane has been around in the comics for decades. There were imaginary future stories from the 1950s showing Mr. and Mrs. Superman with their Superbaby.

I'm not surprised some writer finally made it a reality. I'm also not surprised that the writers and editors had no clue what to do with the baby after he arrived. There's a reason superheroes never actually have kids while they're still actively starring in their own series. How do you handle the kids in stories?
    Gently, because shaken baby syndrome is no joke.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
    The idea of Superman having a kid with Lois Lane has been around in the comics for decades. There were imaginary future stories from the 1950s showing Mr. and Mrs. Superman with their Superbaby.

I'm not surprised some writer finally made it a reality. I'm also not surprised that the writers and editors had no clue what to do with the baby after he arrived. There's a reason superheroes never actually have kids while they're still actively starring in their own series. How do you handle the kids in stories?
    It's actually not that hard if you're willing to age characters. That's where the problem always comes and why you get a lot of "Oh this was your secret kid from years ago" or "Oh wow your kid magically aged up all the sudden." At which point it's just writing a sidekick more or less.

Retired

The thing I don't like about the Superman can't have kids 'cause he's alien argument is that it's just the creation of circular logic within the comic book fiction. As it's a fantasy, you can make up your own rules--and a lot of other DC characters can have kids with people on other planets and do--so the writers are just boxing themselves into a corner for no reason other than being obstinant, when they say Superman can't have kids because of this junk science.

As for what to do with little kids and babies--there's so much to do. But modern comic books want to be all one flavour and don't ever want to offer a variety of things. In the old days, when the Superman family of titles offered variety, a little kid could have held his own feature. I would have had someone like Bob Oksner or Mort Drucker or John Stanley draw it and it would be a five page back-up feature. The little scamp, in bib overalls and a baseball cap, would get into all kinds of trouble and at the end of the story would be sitting in the corner, doing penance for his crimes.

if DC gets Milestone back they should have them in the main universe.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I respecttully disagree. Milestone should have it's own place to shine instead of having to play second string to Superman, and especially Batman, in the in-universe logic. I feel the same about (The Real) Captain Marvel and his associated characters.

Lian Harper was a terrible, obnoxious character and I'm glad she died.

I gotta agree with DrNewGod on this one. In the main DCU the Milestone characters will never get to be the big deal in-universe they deserve to be. It also locks them into "DC time" and they'll never be allowed to really grow or change. Being on earth-whatever is a hindrance of course, because it removes those sales-popping cameos by Batman and Crisis event tie-ins. But....you can get around that. Just make dimensional travel difficult enough to be annoying for the heroes, but not impossible. That way you don't need crazy end of the worlds scenarios to motivate the characters to visit, you just need a threat obnoxious enough to warrant a little extra effort.....and team ups like this usually require that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    you monster!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Heathen! Thou shalt feel the wrath of The Spectre!

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

THIS is the kind of content I come here for. Bravo!

Raven was better off dead and never should have been revived by Johns. They could have just kept Omen alive and used her instead.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

No thanks, I'd rather have them separate. They never really do anything interesting with Static on the Titans anyway.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

You leave that little girl alone Mr. Gorilla.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Wow.........
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Regardless of whether or not his age was unnecessarily changed, Jon should have gone to the Titans instead of the Legion. Put Kara on Legion if they HAVE to have a Superfamily member.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Regardless of whether or not his age was unnecessarily changed, Jon should have gone to the Titans instead of the Legion. Put Kara on Legion if they HAVE to have a Superfamily member.
    I'd keep Jon away from Titans and TT until DC stops trying to derail the Titans and does something to make Damian's TT less obnoxious. Kara doesn't need to be in the future, she needs to establish more ties with the heroes in the present and make friends. Most of the time the only person she interacts with is Superman.

I don't know if this is a controversial subject, but I think DC should work hard to make a deal with the Milestone people because I think an Icon and Rocket movie would rock and make as much money as a Marvel movie.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.