Page 61 of 332 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    There's much worse out there like the Swamp Thing, Steel or Supergirl movie.
    You forgot Catwoman.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I really didn't think 'Batman & Robin' was that bad.
    Oh yeah? Three words.

Bat.

Credit.

Card.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

If you know what you're getting into, B&R is a blast.

Honestly, I get entertainment out of it. I don't really get that from the Nolan movies, which are objectively superior films but don't have the crazy fun I crave from Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I really didn't think 'Batman & Robin' was that bad or that DC is bad at movies in general.
    Batman & Robin is hilarious. It's not my favorite Batman movie but look, it's up there. You just have to put aside the desire for a serious Batman flick and strap yourself in for a ride.

Also: significantly better with friends and frequent vocal engagement.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Retired

I object to either SWAMP THING (1982) or THE RETURN OF SWAMP THING (1989) being classified as failed movies. I've seen both--I actually saw RETURN first, in the movie theatre, and then saw the first one on video later--and they were both very good movies, with RETURN being my favourite. It's not a case of being so bad it's good--the second movie is intentionally being funny, so if you're laughing in places then you're doing what the movie intended you to do.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Batman & Robin is hilarious. It's not my favorite Batman movie but look, it's up there. You just have to put aside the desire for a serious Batman flick and strap yourself in for a ride.

Also: significantly better with friends and frequent vocal engagement.
    Agreed, so many moments are just too ridiculous to not be intentional, and while I don't think a lot of the acting is good and the tone can be a little inconsistent, the movie is hilarious and has a semblance of real care for at least one version of Batman.

BANNED

this scene is spectacular honestly, look at the costume design and how each individual person in that room has a unique look. but their looks and the overall design is weird, it's oddly dystopian, it doesn't look kid-friendly or "silly," it highlights the absurdity of these characters. why is there a giant mouth with teeth along the doorway and people in giant gorilla suits dancing around? everyone over-acts ands plays up the absurdity which makes it way more entertaining but also interesting. Batman readers know how much Bruce disconnects from the typical rich boy lifestyle even though he has to in order to play up the charade, the way this bourgeoisie event is portrayed, in a surreal manner shows me why Bruce disconnects from this world, or at least why he would.

and I love this entrance for Poison Ivy. all of this would have happened in a golden or even silver/bronze age issue of Detective Comics or Batman

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Batman & Robin was my first ever Batman movie and it will always hold an important place in my heart for making me the Batman fan I am today.

Rogues should be a group that prohibits killing people unnecessarily. But in Flash # 76, Heat Wave kills police officers unnecessarily. That didn't look like a necessary murder. And Captain Cold did not stop it. This was personally disappointing.

Boisterously Confused

Johnny Quick is way cooler than any Flash, and he always was.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I was beginning to wonder if anything in this thread would be truly controversial. Between this and the people liking the Batman and Robin movie, this thread is finally living up to its title.
    Just re-reading my old collection, filling in the occasional gap with back issues, not buying anything new.

Currently working my way through 1990's Flash, Impulse, and JLA, and occasional other related stuff.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
    I was beginning to wonder if anything in this thread would be truly controversial. Between this and the people liking the Batman and Robin movie, this thread is finally living up to its title.
    You're welcome.

Ooh, this is a good one and something I agree with. Johnny Quick always just seemed fun and laid back, which is really what I want in a character I want to read about.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Ooh, this is a good one and something I agree with. Johnny Quick always just seemed fun and laid back, which is really what I want in a character I want to read about.
    He'd also be very easy to update. In the original, Johnathan Chambers was a news-reel camera man (for the young; movie theaters used to show brief, mostly lightweight news items before the main feature). Today, make him a vlogger/reporter on You-Tube-esque news channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    this scene is spectacular honestly, look at the costume design and how each individual person in that room has a unique look. but their looks and the overall design is weird, it's oddly dystopian, it doesn't look kid-friendly or "silly," it highlights the absurdity of these characters. why is there a giant mouth with teeth along the doorway and people in giant gorilla suits dancing around? everyone over-acts ands plays up the absurdity which makes it way more entertaining but also interesting. Batman readers know how much Bruce disconnects from the typical rich boy lifestyle even though he has to in order to play up the charade, the way this bourgeoisie event is portrayed, in a surreal manner shows me why Bruce disconnects from this world, or at least why he would.
    There was a theory going around that beginning with Batman '89 and the subsequent defeats and deaths of Joker, Penguin, Two-Face, etc. that the Batman movies got sillier and more out there because Batman actually made Gotham a safer place (even allowing Batman himself to step out of the shadows a bit and become a friendlier more public figure). But Gotham is always going to be Gotham, filled with extreme personalities and extravagance, hence why we get insane architecture and people in gorilla costumes.

He'd also be very easy to update. In the original, Johnathan Chambers was a news-reel camera man (for the young; movie theaters used to show brief, mostly lightweight news items before the main feature). Today, make him a vlogger/reporter on You-Tube-esque news channel.
    What are some great classic Johnny Quick stories?