Page 69 of 94 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 1407
    Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar

I liked the DC animated movies better when they were stand alones instead of forced into the same universe.
    Now listen to me, Clark! This great strength of yours--you've got to hide it from people or they'll be scared of you!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I liked the DC animated movies better when they were stand alones instead of forced into the same universe.
    I did too, I understand why they did it but I don't like it.
    Reading list: Miles Morales: Spider-Man (Marvel), Ironheart (Marvel), Champions (Marvel), Jessica Jones: Purple Daughter (Marvel), Runaways (Marvel), Young Justice (DC), Naomi (DC), Justice League Odyssey (DC), My Hero Academia (VIZ), Bitter Root (Image), Quincredible (Lionforge), Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reboot (BOOM!)

Shazam's codename being the same as his transformation phrase is absolutely ridiculous.

It's so ridiculous even the movie made fun of it and poked holes into how impractical it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I was initially not really into the animated continuity movies but I feel they've really picked up over time and it hasn't prevented them from doing great adaptions of classic storylines or getting to do some really cool stuff with certain characters.

Death/Reign was a much better adaption then Superman: Doomsday.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be fair... Low bar to hurdle.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    To be fair... Low bar to hurdle.
    I mean, I enjoyed Doomsday as a standalone film (the Clark/Lois stuff, Doomsday fight, and James Marsters as Lex is great) but as an adaption it was severely lacking.

I did like that it did more with Jimmy. I think he only got 4 lines in total in the duology.

Been thinking about getting those for my YJ loving 13 year old son. I've watched some clips on Youtube and it seems decent enough. How is it?

I say I'm getting this for my kid, but it'd be like, 30% getting it for me too if I'm being honest.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

Bridge Four!

Incredible Member Vampire Savior's Avatar

I can count the DC DVD animated films that I actually like on one hand. The only ones that stand out to me as great are Under the Red Hood and Death of Superman. Even stuff like All-Star Superman and Crisis on Two Earths is only okay to me, and nothing I've wanted to watch again. The rest of them that I've seen (I admit I dont follow every single one, because of their poor track record, but I've seen enough) range from terrible to mediocre.

DC is still in the middle of the 90's and in his dark age rebirth is just another failed attempt. (and you just have to look at the cover of the #1, nobody is smiling ^^)

Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar

Shazam's codename being the same as his transformation phrase is absolutely ridiculous.

It's so ridiculous even the movie made fun of it and poked holes into how impractical it is.

I was initially not really into the animated continuity movies but I feel they've really picked up over time and it hasn't prevented them from doing great adaptions of classic storylines or getting to do some really cool stuff with certain characters.

I just think something like Batman: Hush would be so much better with Kevin Conroy and Tim Daly doing the voices. And without the Rebirth Super-suit. But now that every movie has to take place in the same universe, every one has to use the same voice actors to indicate they're all in the same universe. I didn't even realize the Batman/Robin movies were supposed to be in the same universe as the JL War and Dark at first. The problem with a shared continuity is what if one of the movies suck? Stand alone movies are no big deal. But a shared universe means you get a bad adaptation and you're stuck with it. I haven't seen Death/Return yet and not sure I care enough about it to do so. I liked Public Enemies and Apocalypse and they both appear to take place in the same universe though it's not directly stated. Things like Unchained and The Elite are "meh" and I don't think I want them necessarily sharing space with anything else.

And, yeah, the Shazam codename thing is completely ridiculous. The moment someone asks him what his name is, his secret ID is blown.
    Last edited by superduperman; 08-31-2019 at 03:56 PM.
    Now listen to me, Clark! This great strength of yours--you've got to hide it from people or they'll be scared of you!

Boisterously Confused

Yes. They should have gone with Roy Thomas' Captain Thunder idea.

ThunderCap.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Been thinking about getting those for my YJ loving 13 year old son. I've watched some clips on Youtube and it seems decent enough. How is it?

I say I'm getting this for my kid, but it'd be like, 30% getting it for me too if I'm being honest.
    Surprisingly good! They do their best to couch it in their continuity while maintaining the basic beats of the plot and it works. If you're tired of Superman jobbing for the Justice League (especially Batman), well they do drive home that Clark is pretty damned important to the DCU. Keep in mind, they're abridged, so you're not going to get some scenes like Jonathan collapsing in the corn field.

This reminds me, I've always thought Shazam was a much better name than Captain Marvel
    Reading list: Miles Morales: Spider-Man (Marvel), Ironheart (Marvel), Champions (Marvel), Jessica Jones: Purple Daughter (Marvel), Runaways (Marvel), Young Justice (DC), Naomi (DC), Justice League Odyssey (DC), My Hero Academia (VIZ), Bitter Root (Image), Quincredible (Lionforge), Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reboot (BOOM!)

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    This reminds me, I've always thought Shazam was a much better name than Captain Marvel
    How is he supposed to say his name then?
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    How is he supposed to say his name then?
    Not sure but I thought they fixed that by him saying it with "intent" or whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Not sure but I thought they fixed that by him saying it with "intent" or whatever?
    That's dumb, why take that away? SHAZAM is supposed to be a powerful magic word that has to be used responsibly. If Billy can throw it around willy nilly without any consequences what's the point of saying the word anymore? Just have him change whenever he feels like it. Then at that point why even write Captain Marvel?

Being a good kid and saying the magic word is all you need for Captain Marvel. Take away one of those and the character loses half of what makes him special.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics