Page 8 of 123 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 1838
  1. #106
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    What the hell is will power anyway? Ever since I heard this as a little kid, I've always been frustrated by the idea that you will stuff to happen. No you don't. I already knew that as a little kid. You make a decision in your brain to do something and you send that instruction to the muscles in your body and they are either strong and practiced enough to do it or not. It's not some fuzzy concept called will. That's just pure balogna. It seemed like something adults tell kids just to belittle them, so they think there's someting lacking in theirselves on a spiritual level and that's why they can't do something. No. If you want to do something, you find a way to get it done. Will is a useless term.
    IMO, it's what makes some people excel when others do not, when their potential capabilities are no greater or even less. See it all the time in students.

  2. #107
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,039

    Default

    In the usage for super-heroes, will is supposed to be an immediate thing--not setting long term goals and then achieving them--rather Hal wills his ring to do something and it does it, right then. However, there's a less fuzzy way to explain that. When I was a little kid, I was already reading science books and encyclopedias in the school library on my spare time--and explanations like he willed something to happen were very unsatisfying to me. I wanted clear answers to my questions. Tell me that synapses fire in the brain and send signals through the nervous system to cause muscles to flex and that's a good answer (even if it raises more questions), but tell me someone lifted a heavy boulder by force of will and I'm frustrated because that's not an answer, it begs the question.

    But in terms of will as setting long terms goals and achieving them, that's also something that can be better expressed using concrete language. And if I wanted to do better on my tests in school, telling me that I didn't have enough will was not helpful. Show me how to get in the right psychological and physiological state to accomplish those goals and that's a better answer, something that I can use.

    Will power just seems like magical thinking to me. It's the kind of answer people give when they don't know any of the science. But will is a good modal verb--in German it means to want--ich will ACTION COMICS 1000 lesen--and in English it's now used for future verb constructions--I will be down to get you in a taxi, honey, you better be ready about half past eight, now dearie, don't be late. I want to be there when the band starts playing.

    I would not throw out the modal verb, but the noun is something I have no use for--except in academic discussions of Thomas Hardy.
    "We will meet again."

  3. #108
    Extraordinary Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,152

    Default

    6 Earth GLs is way to many. It should be reduced to 2, maybe 3. Hal and John should be the two, and I'm leaning towards Jess being the best option for a third.

    There are way too many goddamn speedsters, both good and evil. I would prefer it be reduced to Barry and OG Wally and their respective arch enemies, Thawne and Hunter. At least on the main Earth, Jay, Max, etc should be on Earth-2.

    Only 2/5 of the original Fab Five Titans are close to being consistently interesting characters, and those are Dick and Wally. I like Pre-Crisis Donna a lot but she was ruined more and more starting with the original Crisis, and even in the NTT stories a lot of her appeal was how she acted as the medium between the two extremes of Starfire and Raven. On her own I don't know if she has a distinguishable enough personality. Roy has coasted along on his drug addiction storylines, having a kid and bouncing from one bland adult identity to another. Garth has always just been sort of there, and doesn't seem to have impacted the Aquaman franchise in any noteworthy way. Cyborg, Starfire, Raven and Gar are all much better characters.

    The JSA's importance as a franchise is inflated by fandom somewhat, and the in-story justifications for their importance in post-Crisis stories in relation to the JL (especially the Trinity) always feel artificial and weird. They didn't survive into the period between the Golden and Silver Age like the Trinity did, and their revamped versions in the Silver Age went on to greater success. For a big chunk of DC's publication, they did not predate any of the JL members in-universe. There are plenty of reasons for the JSA's own legacies like Infinity Inc to look up to them and for the Silver Age JL characters to value them as close allies/peers on another Earth, but Superman looking up to them always feels wrong. It seems like a way to prop up the JSA in-universe, but rarely extends in a meaningful way to the rest of the DCU, which can chug along just fine without them.

    I'm 2 and half volumes through the new Mark Waid Flash trades, and they are very solid-to-great for the most part. Mostly for the the Return of Barry Allen arc, Wally's development and his interactions with the supporting cast. His villains leave a lot to be desired so far though and it's dragging it down for me; the Combine, Razer and the new Dr. Alchemy were utterly forgettable and the best antagonists are ones he inherited from Barry, Kadabra and Zoom. It's weird that Waid considered the Rogues too lame when his own villainous contributions seem like duds, and I do not think the likes of Savitar, Replicant, Folded Man and (ugh) Cobalt Blue will do much to change my mind. For this reason, I think I'm going to still prefer Johns run with Wally to this, as I love the Rogues, the art (particularly Kolins and Van Sciver), and his new supporting characters like Warden Wolfe, Chyre and Morillo (please bring the latter two back, Williamson!).

    Tom King's Batman run has some flaws and doesn't always stick the landing, but it's not nearly as bad as some make it out to be and is the only mainstream Rebirth book aside from Deathstroke to be consistently anything other than workmanlike from the start.

  4. #109
    Extraordinary Member Caivu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    8,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    - while I respect the niché she serves, Batwoman has been consistently written as an obnoxious character. She isn't as bad as Damian at his worse, but the overly militaristic schtick is getting grating.
    I'm confused by what "overly militaristic schtick" means. That's not what I see. I mean, she doesn't go around dropping salutes or ten-hutting or roger-rogering or lip-synching to the Team America soundtrack or whatever, y'know? Hardly a "schtick".
    Last edited by Caivu; 08-20-2018 at 01:59 AM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

    Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow



    Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

  5. #110
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    What the hell is will power anyway? Ever since I heard this as a little kid, I've always been frustrated by the idea that you will stuff to happen. No you don't. I already knew that as a little kid. You make a decision in your brain to do something and you send that instruction to the muscles in your body and they are either strong and practiced enough to do it or not. It's not some fuzzy concept called will. That's just pure balogna. It seemed like something adults tell kids just to belittle them, so they think there's someting lacking in theirselves on a spiritual level and that's why they can't do something. No. If you want to do something, you find a way to get it done. Will is a useless term.
    not at all. WIll power is why life exists. Biological systems decide they want to do something against the nature order, like put O2 in the atmosphere.

  6. #111
    Titans Together!! byrd156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    9,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    What the hell is will power anyway? Ever since I heard this as a little kid, I've always been frustrated by the idea that you will stuff to happen. No you don't. I already knew that as a little kid. You make a decision in your brain to do something and you send that instruction to the muscles in your body and they are either strong and practiced enough to do it or not. It's not some fuzzy concept called will. That's just pure balogna. It seemed like something adults tell kids just to belittle them, so they think there's someting lacking in theirselves on a spiritual level and that's why they can't do something. No. If you want to do something, you find a way to get it done. Will is a useless term.
    My confusion with the lantern ring is that willpower isn't an emotion. Neither is hope. I always think of the different lantern colors as more of spectrum for the individual ring types within the larger emotion spectrum.

    In my mind Willpower is more of like courage, bravery, strength, honor, etc. A mixture of qualities and emotions that bleed into each other rather than just one single thing. One of the reasons Hal was chosen was because he was a "man without fear" to quote his first appearance. In "real life" someone without fear is just a straight up crazy person, hell there's a BTAS episode about Scarecrow curing fear and it made people do insane things. Hal's combined qualities and emotions make up a strong overall will. Thats how I see it anyway.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

    "In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

    "One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

  7. #112
    Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    My confusion with the lantern ring is that willpower isn't an emotion. Neither is hope. I always think of the different lantern colors as more of spectrum for the individual ring types within the larger emotion spectrum.

    In my mind Willpower is more of like courage, bravery, strength, honor, etc. A mixture of qualities and emotions that bleed into each other rather than just one single thing. One of the reasons Hal was chosen was because he was a "man without fear" to quote his first appearance. In "real life" someone without fear is just a straight up crazy person, hell there's a BTAS episode about Scarecrow curing fear and it made people do insane things. Hal's combined qualities and emotions make up a strong overall will. Thats how I see it anyway.
    Ethan Van Sciver once explained that the way that he and Geoff Johns came up with the different color corps was that they were more motivations than emotions. If that helps at all.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

    Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake.

    Currently Reading: All Star Comics, Justice League of America (Satalite years era), Huntress ('89 series)

  8. #113
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    1,359

    Default

    Green Arrow leading the Justice League can be interesting character development/growth for Ollie. I just think it'll be cool to see him lead heroes that aren't usually associated with him.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

    DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

    Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

    Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

  9. #114
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Ethan Van Sciver once explained that the way that he and Geoff Johns came up with the different color corps was that they were more motivations than emotions. If that helps at all.
    Then Johns should have called it the motivational spectrum.

    It's been claimed that humans have only two motivations -- fear and desire. That's a very interesting idea. In fact, it's been claimed that people are nothing more than a bundle of various fears and desires.

  10. #115
    Astonishing Member phantom1592's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    In the usage for super-heroes, will is supposed to be an immediate thing--not setting long term goals and then achieving them--rather Hal wills his ring to do something and it does it, right then. However, there's a less fuzzy way to explain that. When I was a little kid, I was already reading science books and encyclopedias in the school library on my spare time--and explanations like he willed something to happen were very unsatisfying to me. I wanted clear answers to my questions. Tell me that synapses fire in the brain and send signals through the nervous system to cause muscles to flex and that's a good answer (even if it raises more questions), but tell me someone lifted a heavy boulder by force of will and I'm frustrated because that's not an answer, it begs the question.

    But in terms of will as setting long terms goals and achieving them, that's also something that can be better expressed using concrete language. And if I wanted to do better on my tests in school, telling me that I didn't have enough will was not helpful. Show me how to get in the right psychological and physiological state to accomplish those goals and that's a better answer, something that I can use.

    Will power just seems like magical thinking to me. It's the kind of answer people give when they don't know any of the science. But will is a good modal verb--in German it means to want--ich will ACTION COMICS 1000 lesen--and in English it's now used for future verb constructions--I will be down to get you in a taxi, honey, you better be ready about half past eight, now dearie, don't be late. I want to be there when the band starts playing.

    I would not throw out the modal verb, but the noun is something I have no use for--except in academic discussions of Thomas Hardy.
    Willpower at it's basic is the internal ability to do something that goes against nature. The ability to force yourself awake while driving down the road after working the last 72 hours... the ability to keep a secret during a torture session... to resist that cigarette when your addiction is screaming for it. Things that an ordinary normal person would give up, a person with a strong will WANTS something bad enough to force it to happen.

    Sometimes that pretty much IS magical thinking... but it's also a magical thinking that gets a lot of people through a lot of hard times. It's also something that some people have a lot more of than others.


    On a secondary note, since Green Lantern was originally based on the Idea of Aladdin and his magic lamp granting whatever he wished for into being... magical thinking isn't far off from the intent.

  11. #116
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Then Johns should have called it the motivational spectrum.

    It's been claimed that humans have only two motivations -- fear and desire. That's a very interesting idea. In fact, it's been claimed that people are nothing more than a bundle of various fears and desires.
    The Motivational Spectrum is going to be the title of the next Jordan Peterson book. In it he will explain how there are no actual non-comics fans...just people who think they don't like comics.


    Ok, bad joke. I'll see myself out....

  12. #117
    DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    Hal Jordan would work better as an anti-hero with his traits.<<

    What is the oldest GL story you read?
    Read all the way back to Showcase #22. I read Broome, O'Neil, Wolfman, Wein, Englehart, the Action Comics Weekly stories, Jones, some one-shots (ex. Ganthet's Tale), Marz's work with Hal, some Elseworlds with Hal in it, Spectre v. 4, parts of Johns run, and some of the New 52 stuff. That was over a span of a decade or so.

  13. #118
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,039

    Default

    Hal was a hero that tried to stop the death of millions in his home city that was turned into an anti-hero that tried to save the original universe that became a villain that destroyed the Corps that redeemed himself by sacrificing himself for the solar system that returned from whaterver purgatory he was in to become the Wrath of God that was returned into corporeal form to defeat Parallax that became a hero of the Corps. I don't think Hal needs to go down that road again.
    "We will meet again."

  14. #119

    Default

    Dc was better off letting Dick's generation take over.

    They should have shelved the legacies and slowly brought them rather than suffering from favoritism. Them being revamped to ne less dependent on their mentors wouldnt have hurt.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 08-23-2018 at 05:31 AM.

  15. #120
    Astonishing Member stargazer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Then Johns should have called it the motivational spectrum.

    It's been claimed that humans have only two motivations -- fear and desire. That's a very interesting idea. In fact, it's been claimed that people are nothing more than a bundle of various fears and desires.
    "It's been claimed that humans have only two motivations -- fear and desire."


    Fear and desire? That just doesn't seem right. Sounds too shallow, imo. I don't think firefighters, soldiers and warriors or heroes in general are motivated by any of those. There is also a strong sense of duty and also honor. A firefighter doesn't risk his life because of fear or desire, he does it because it's right.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •